[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

carlos m. icaza

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

We are working on a yearly subscription model that you pay once a year. The subscription model will give you rolling updates. Any update that we make, you get it immediately. Features, bug fixes, etc. is all included in the yearly subscription model pricing.

There will not be an additional cost once your app is on the app store. Once your app is on the app store Ansca will not subject you to any royalties whatsoever. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero royalties from you to us.

Enrolling on the Apple Developer Program and the 30% Apple pricing structure is between you and Apple. You will need an Apple Developer Certificate in order to push your app into the store and to enable your device to test apps.

We are experimenting with four pricing structures for the SDK.

Student Version, price ranging from $49.99 to $99.99
Basic Version, from $99.99 to $199.99
Professional Version, from $199.99 to $299.99
Enterprise Version, from $999-$9999.99

We will also offer you an analytic option ( to purchase analytic information from your app if you would like that option ) As well as incorporating support for adding ad banners in your app.

There are other features as well that we will be providing such as testing your app to make sure that it passes an Ansca test standard, plus more.

Our goal is to make sure that you create world class apps with Corona and give you the tools needed in order for your app to be successful.

Feedback, as much as you can, is welcome on this *hot* topic !

Carlos
uid: 24 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 300166

hyperphonic

hyperphonic
  • Enthusiast

• 52 posts
  • Corona SDK

What's the difference between the Pro and Enterprise version?

To make Corona an authoring rapid-application environment that I would use for larger projects, I'd need profiling and debugging tools on the device. That I would consider to be a base requirement for a Pro version. Some core higher level APIs with networking for HTTP so I don't have to write GET/POST/JSON from scratch would be useful as well. Reinventing the wheel for the n-th time gets old pretty fast. CS5 comes with HTTP/AMF out of the box. A real keyboard is also important (as well as maintaining basic feature parity with CS5 - the CS5 South Park avatar thingy invokes the UIKit keyboard on the textfields.

For enterprise - is that some level of custom integration with native Objective-C libraries, or XCode project with source, so I can write my own code that hooks into Corona as the rendering API? Would it come with some engineering support from your staff so feature requests pertaining to Corona get some prioritisation? If so, I'd be interested in that.
uid: 238 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 162

mymidlet

mymidlet
  • Enthusiast

• 49 posts
  • Guests

yep I agree with hyperphonic

I will sure buy a corona license (maybe a little discount for people that have joined the ansca program at the beginning will be greacefull) but before I need to know what are the difference from the first 3 versions (the enterprice is to high for me ^_^).

Also, if I understand well, this fee is annual ? (so every year a must buy a license? )

Best
Ale
uid: 940 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 168

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

I can tell you this, yes, users who have registered and downloaded Corona will get special discount price. Don't ask me what it is yet, but it will be significantly discounted as a thank you for being there with us from the very beginning.

It will be annual subscription so every year you will need to re-subscribe. All subscriptions will have unlimited device builds, unlimited app submissions to the app store.

Enterprise is just enterprise pricing depending on the number of seats. I should have been more clear, it is just enterprise license pricing model.

"I'd need profiling and debugging tools on the device" -- we have several approaches to this and we will let you know as we get closer to it. How can you not do serious apps without on device debugging and profiling?

Engineering support from your staff so feature requests pertaining to Corona get some prioritisation? Yes, this will fall into the support licensing and we are working on figuring out the right pricing model. Others are charging upwards of 25k a year for support with only up to 125 hours of support. I don't think we will do that.
uid: 24 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 188

Watervale

Watervale
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

have you already talked about splash screens yes or no? Various competitors make the (already paying) users show a full screen splash screen, telling everybody which development plattform this app was created on.

I'm myself one of those customers who do not like one or multiple of such screens infront of my favourite app.

As a developer i would give credit to ansca corona in the about section of the app or as addition to the app-store description, but i would prefer not to explicitly need to show a full screen ansca corona logo.

What's your opinion about it?

Cheers

Jens

PS: The device built feature is cool! Its availability made me continue the development of my iPhone game!
uid: 1919 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 189

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

NO splash screen NONE !!

We will not force you to show a splash screen with the Ansca logo or credit or any other Ansca pre-splash splash screen ;-)

We will probably ask the usual "Portions © 2009 Ansca, Inc." but only show it in your credits screen and that is if you even put one up. And we are working with our legal team to see if we can bypass this at all.

We would like for all of you who create and distribute Corona based apps, to let us know so we can add it to our catalog of apps powered by Corona.

Thanks

Carlos
uid: 24 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 190

jocala

jocala
  • Observer

• 4 posts
  • Guests

Thanks for sharing this info.

Personally, I'd be less likely to purchase if the product ceased working after a year. I could live with a RealBasic model, where product updates and support end a year after purchase, but your original product keeps on ticking.

uid: 2307 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 193

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

Actually, that brings up an interesting comment someone brought to my attention regarding apps after the subscription.

Your app will never expire!!

The app you submit to the app store will continue to work after your subscription expires. No annoying splash screens to remind you to subscribe or no annoying pauses during your app to remind the user that the product has expired. Your app will continue to work regardless.

Carlos
uid: 24 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 194

jocala

jocala
  • Observer

• 4 posts
  • Guests

Just so we're clear, I was talking about the development toolkit, not apps. Thanks!
uid: 2307 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 195

tau

tau
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

Good point, it will be great to have a working dev kit even after the subscription expiration, just lock into current version without the updates, so we can fix any bugs that found in the original app.

As for the price ranges, I think they seem a bit high for annual fees, most comparable solutions ask for a one time fee for a major version in those ranges.
uid: 3701 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 220

fernandodotnet9

fernandodotnet9
  • Observer

• 16 posts
  • Corona SDK

masters
I think that might not be expensive for the students and the sdk version. I really want to be using the tool, I have a book to buy as well.

thanks

Fernando Dantas
Brazil/Brasília
uid: 1249 topic_id: 166 reply_id: 281

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]