[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Does the simulator run on Ubuntu Linux?
Started by prographodeveloper Oct 09 2019 08:16 AM

- - - - -
1 reply to this topic

Best Answer Rob Miracle , 09 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

The short answer is No. The Corona simulator only runs on Windows and macOS.

That said, before we had a priority shift we had started working on various Linux support. The ability to build FOR Linux is probably in an Alpha test state, but you have to build from Windows or macOS.

We also started a project to get the Simulator running on Linux where you could build for Linux or build for Android. That got to a "preview"/"pre-alpha" state before we had to shutter that project. It was somewhat running on Ubuntu and probably some other Debian based distros.

Unfortunately it is very unlikely that we will get back to any Linux related tasks in the future.

Now that said, Corona is open source. We have had a couple of developers show some interest in bringing the Simulator to Linux. I don't think one developer got very far. The second one had gotten the welcome window mostly working along with the ability to create new projects, open projects etc. (which was further than we had it). He wasn't working on all the simulator support (native objects, audio, etc.). His last version that I saw was something that was getting close to an Alpha build, however he seems to have decided to take a break from it and I've not heard from him in some time. He has not committed any of his updates back to our repository, so anyone wanting to pick up wouldn't have his work.

There is a forum thread you can search for where someone got the simulator working under Wine. But it's not something we can support, but you are welcome to search the forums and try to get it working that way.

Finally on the Community Slack, there is a #linux channel where all the chatter about this open source progress was going on. You're welcome to check that out https://coronalabs.com/slack

Rob

[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

prographodeveloper

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
prographodeveloper
  • Contributor

• 301 posts
  • Corona SDK

Any particular GUI or all of them?

Many thanks.
  • prographodeveloper likes this

[TOPIC: post.html]

Rob Miracle

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Rob Miracle

• 26,207 posts
  • Enterprise

Best Answer

The short answer is No. The Corona simulator only runs on Windows and macOS.

That said, before we had a priority shift we had started working on various Linux support. The ability to build FOR Linux is probably in an Alpha test state, but you have to build from Windows or macOS.

We also started a project to get the Simulator running on Linux where you could build for Linux or build for Android. That got to a "preview"/"pre-alpha" state before we had to shutter that project. It was somewhat running on Ubuntu and probably some other Debian based distros.

Unfortunately it is very unlikely that we will get back to any Linux related tasks in the future.

Now that said, Corona is open source. We have had a couple of developers show some interest in bringing the Simulator to Linux. I don't think one developer got very far. The second one had gotten the welcome window mostly working along with the ability to create new projects, open projects etc. (which was further than we had it). He wasn't working on all the simulator support (native objects, audio, etc.). His last version that I saw was something that was getting close to an Alpha build, however he seems to have decided to take a break from it and I've not heard from him in some time. He has not committed any of his updates back to our repository, so anyone wanting to pick up wouldn't have his work.

There is a forum thread you can search for where someone got the simulator working under Wine. But it's not something we can support, but you are welcome to search the forums and try to get it working that way.

Finally on the Community Slack, there is a #linux channel where all the chatter about this open source progress was going on. You're welcome to check that out https://coronalabs.com/slack

Rob

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]