[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

sporkfin

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 596 posts
  • Corona SDK

So far Apple Arcade seems to be a repository for well made, well curated games that are allowed to take risks and allowed to be quirky in ways they wouldn’t if they were relying on IAP’s or ads. 

Of course, there are a lot of games I don’t like on Apple Arcade but someone else will and that’s how is should be - quality games for all sensibilities and tastes.

• agramonte and XeduR @Spyric like this

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 944 posts
  • Corona SDK

I completely agree.

I have a few games planned that would be great as premium products, i.e. no ads or iaps, just download and play, but with just pay to download, I'd expect that the sales might be insufficient to fund the projects, however, Apple Arcade might offer a new alternative that might improve chances for such games.

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 944 posts
  • Corona SDK

So, this just occurred to me, does anyone know how Apple Arcade games are supposed to work?

Are the games the same as you have available on the normal App Store, but then there is some API that you can use to check whether the user is playing on Apple Arcade, at which point ads and IAPs must not be loaded, or are the apps completely separate from the App Store versions? Is there some cloud save/storage API that developers have access to if the games are supposed to be playable across numerous devices and the players are supposed to be able to "drop the game on one device and resume at the next".

Basically, has Apple published some developer info package and documentation that I just can't seem to find via Google?

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 596 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, Apple becomes your publisher so I bet there is a bunch of developer docs for after the contract signing

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 944 posts
  • Corona SDK

I thought as much. It's that I'd simply prefer knowing what I'd need to do beforehand instead of learning after being accepted (if accepted, that is). Still, I guess it wouldn't be that much of a stretch if the main game is premium without any iaps or ads to begin with.

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 596 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm trying to sample everything and go back to my favorites.  So far, Overland is the game that has enticed me the most.

It features great visuals and has a journey element as you try to make it coast to coast.  Semi-permadeath also ratchets up the tension and there aren't any instructions so part of the fun/challege/frustration is figuring out the mechanics and inner logic of the game.  It's very well done has thoughtfully balanced gameplay.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]