[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

dislam

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
dislam
  • Contributor

• 192 posts
  • Corona SDK

After reading through yesterday's post regarding the Admob changes and requirements by Google, I didn't see a mention about whether Amazon Android apps also require the 'applicationChildElements' field in build.settings.  

Is this change required for Android apps in general, or only for Google Play Android apps?   In other words, do we need to modify this APP_ID field when we build our Amazon apps?  Or do only the Google Play apps look for this?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,900 posts
  • Enterprise

As far as I know Amazon (i.e. Kindle Fire) doesn't support the AdMob SDK. Amazon sells Google Play compatible apps that run on normal Android devices that support Google Play, so for apps uploaded to Amazon, if you wish to target the wider market (less Kindle's), you will need to include this. If you're choosing to build for Amazon, you're producing a Kindle Fire specific version, and you won't be any need for the AdMob plugin.

Rob

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 192 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Rob,

In the past, I had a Kindle Fire that had Admob ads running on my apps.  I don't have the Fire anymore, so currently I just test the Amazon-built apps on my Google Play-based Android device and verify the AdMob ads are working.

But... For the latest version of AdMob, do you mean the following?

1) For Amazon Kindle Fire, no change is required in build.settings when building since it won't check the App ID

2) For Amazon apps running on Google devices, the change is required for the AdMob App ID so that I use the ID I had assigned for my Amazon apps

So, I guess when I build my app I will swap out the App ID I use for the Google Play version with the Amazon version.  It should work for both #1 and #2 then.

Looks like I should have bought a Kindle Fire on Prime Day just for testing!

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amazon, android, admob