[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

JoePringles

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 368 posts
  • Corona SDK

So I don't have a google pixel and I believe it's a relativly popular device so can we get a Google Pixel option on the simulator?

Or if there is any other device that acts as a google pixel that is listed would be helpful.

Thanks

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Corona Geek

• 1,113 posts
  • Corona SDK

Open simulator, then press View > View as > Custom Device, and input details.

JoePringles

JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 368 posts
  • Corona SDK

I know that but does it act differently than other android versions?

Like how display positiong on the iPhone X is different than other iOS devices (for it's size and other stuff: https://coronalabs.com/blog/2017/09/21/ios-11-update-icons-and-safe-area-apis/)

roaminggamer

roaminggamer
  • Corona Geek

• 7,617 posts
  • Corona SDK

You can add your own custom devices to the Corona simulator too.

Just find the folder where Corona stores the default skins, copy a device that is close, rename it, edit it, restart Corona, ... tada!

Folder for typical Windows install:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corona Labs\Corona\Resources\Skins

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,916 posts
  • Corona SDK

No, I don't believe it will behave like a real google pixel, i.e. you won't get safe areas taking into account the notch reported like you do with an iPhoneX - I think you're on your own there for now. 

I can't believe Android phone makers have followed apple down the notchy road. Banana-shaped screens can't be far off.

• roaminggamer likes this

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,544 posts
  • Enterprise

The problem with Android notices is they are relatively new. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that notch support comes with Google API 28/9.0/Pie (even though I would think it would be in 27/8.0/Oreo). I would think we would get around to updating the display.safe* API's to be more Android family at some point after we get Android 64-bit builds complete, which includes API 28/Pie support. Once we have that, either someone in the open source community can go add support those API's and issue a pull request to add them into the core or hopefully we can find some time before we move to our next plans.

Rob

gamebit.labs

gamebit.labs
  • Contributor

• 217 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi everyone!

We've been actively updating our app for Android and lack of test devices is an issue, financially and accessibility.

Recently started using AWS's Device Farm. You get to install your app on numerous real devices. I've been testing my app a lot with the Google Pixel 3 XL, which has a big camera notch and the safe apis don't work well yet for Android.

For starters, you get 1000 free minutes to use all the available devices.

Ben

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]