[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

IndieEnthusiast

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

Can we please have a discord chat server for Corona, where we can chat with devs in this forum?

• craig.stowers likes this

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm in.
Hopefully the devs will be open to it, or even if they join one we make at a future date? Should we make one for the community anyway? I suppose either way we wait and see if they reply.
Just call it "Corona SDK"? I did a quick search and couldn't find any Corona related channels.

I'm guessing the company probably doesn't want to promote such a thing because they want all the hype to happen here in the official forum?

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think we can wait a bit for the admins in this forum to respond. If there is no response then we can go ahead and create our own and add the devs who are interested. make sense?

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think we can wait a bit for the admins in this forum to respond. If there is no response then we can go ahead and create our own and add the devs who are interested. make sense?

yup makes sense, I edited saying basically the same thing ( I have a bad habbit of doing heavy edits after posting )

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Craig Stowers :

Could you please ping me in princensu#1170 

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

Lets chat there and discuss in discord, what we can do with a discord channel in future

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yup did that. The name is Silvereye on Discord.

• IndieEnthusiast likes this

Michael Flad

Michael Flad
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just join the Slack channel

https://coronalabs.com/slack/

• SGS likes this

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 764 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, Discord channel would have the benefit (at least for me) that I already use it on my phone and computer, and I don't use Slack (at least yet). Having a Discord community for Corona would be a plus in my books, but its viability comes down to how many Corona devs use Discord and how many of them would be interested in joining the channel.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,108 posts
  • Corona SDK

barely any chat on slack.... diluting this makes even less sense

• Michael Flad and agramonte like this

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

barely any chat on slack.... diluting this makes even less sense

True... i'll go where the population is. It's just I always have my Discord open so it's very easy to chat about Corona there too.

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

The way I see it, slack is not so popular. Those who are interested to small a small group with discord, we can do it. I was hoping to really hear from Rob and other seniors in the forum.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

Sorry, I've been on vacation...

Here's my thoughts about it.

Pros: The more places we can reach out to new developers the better. Discord is a pretty popular competitor to Slack and it may be a better overall tool.

Cons: Fragmenting the community is a bad thing. We have Forums, we have at least two Facebook groups, plus our Facebook page. We have Twitter, a Reddit channel, people using StackOverflow, a couple of different Telegram communities and we have our Slack. There may even still be a few people watching the old IRC channel.  For any community to take off, you have to reach a critical mass. Personally I think the Forums are still the best place to communicate because code sharing is better here; posts are searchable; and it forms a natural knowledge base. I know Slack is useless once chatter ages out and isn't searchable unless the talk has been in the last few days.

Then there is any Corona Labs time commitment. We are already spread pretty thin covering all of the existing channels. You're asking for more blog posts and such. I just can't see us taking any responsibility in setting up and participating in a Discord community. Obviously we can't stop you from setting one up and if it attracts new developers that's great. If our Slack users move to Discord and we can make that the official chat service then I think we we would be okay with that. But I'm not going to fragment the community further.

Rob

• Michael Flad likes this

JoePringles

JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 340 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd suggest slack for more professional discussions and work.

If we get a discord server it'll be for more personal/collaboration/hangout zone area. 

If we got a discord server, I think it'll bring more users.

Corona/Lua is a pretty easy language and discord is filled with novice game coders.

Maybe make a small discord server and pin the invite link on the forum or in the blog area.

I don't think it'll cause any harm.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

If you want to do this, we can't stop you. But Slack is our official chat channel. If Discord's community grows enough, we will be open to more options.

Rob

JoePringles

JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 340 posts
  • Corona SDK

So do I get the blessings of Pope Robbius V to create a server?

JoePringles

JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 340 posts
  • Corona SDK

or Robus Christ?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

The Name "Rob" is what you should be professionally using please. We have a wide spanning community of people of all nationalities, races, genders, religious beliefs, etc. It's always best to play it straight. I know that's not always fun, but Robus Christ could even offend Christians. Let's keep our community professional please.

And no, we are not blessing you. I'm saying we can't stop you. I'm saying as of right now, we can't afford to spend any time helping you. If your community takes off and Slack dies out, we may change our mind. I'm just being clear that this is a community resource and not a Corona Labs resource. We have no ownership or management of it. 

It's like the Corona Indie Developer's group on Facebook. Someone created it, added me as an admin, grew the community a bit, then disappeared. Managing that group is now a task that I have to do. 

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,108 posts
  • Corona SDK

A classic example... I have a relatively serious problem posted on Slack but no response as yet.  More channels simply takes more time to review/moderate.

And personally a discord channel of novices doesn't interest me at all.

• Michael Flad likes this

Lava Level

Lava Level
  • Contributor

• 274 posts
  • Corona SDK

If any novices want to join my CoronaLabsSDK (*unofficial*) and try to walk me through how to use SLACK, then be my guest.

:lol:

my CoronaLabsSDK Discord Channel

:wub:

Novices welcome!

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 764 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd name the channel something like "Corona SDK (Unofficial)" instead of adding the "Labs" part there (as it might cause confusion). But good job still on taking the initiative!

I have to also agree with SGS. A channel for chatting with fellow devs can be interesting, but a channel where I can help out novices doesn't interest me at all as I do enough of that here on the forums already and I don't want (random) people messaging me for help on my primary communication tool. I prefer to help others on my own terms. :P

I'm personally building up the courage to try out slack.

JoePringles

JoePringles
  • Contributor

• 340 posts
  • Corona SDK

Who said you had to help out people lol

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

I do agree., Please remove "Corona Labs" from the name. Corona SDK is okay to use.

Lava Level

Lava Level
  • Contributor

• 274 posts
  • Corona SDK

Corona SDK is better.  It says unofficial all over the welcome message and points directly to here for officail inquiries so, I dont see a problem. (let me know if there is of course)

I like Chat, We use to have a freenode irc chat a while back. It was so helpful. But also built up good camaraderie. 

If anyone wants to come on in, then just accept the invite!  I also plan to do some terrible homebrew CoronaSDK YouTube learning tutorials this summer! Why not?  :lol: 
CoronaDiscord.png

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]