[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

dodi_games

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
dodi_games
  • Contributor

• 370 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all! this time I do not have code is just a question. The texture memory is rising every 10 levels in my game and I thought it would never happen to me because I followed the rules of keeping the code as optimized as possible. To be brief, I use composer, all the visual objects that are part of the background and do not collide with another objects are in a table. In this way I do not reach the 60 up values. Those objects are created in the scene create and I only assign nil to the table in the scene destroy.

ex.
--forward variable
local dispObj = {}

--scene create

dispObj.cloud = displayNewImageRect(..)
dispObj.square = displayNewImageRect(..)  --all display objects are inserted in sceneGroup
dispObj.tree = displayNewImageRect(..)
etc

--scene destroy
dispObj = nil
The objects that collide are created individually, I do not know why I decided so but I think I wanted to avoid a table inside another table that are already in another table.

I have an external module which has all the sounds in a table and also has the images sheets and their references.

ex.
local M = {}

M.soundTable = {

menuMusic   = audio.loadSound("sounds/menu_music.wav"),
  gameMusic   = audio.loadSound("sounds/game_music.wav"),
  bounce      = audio.loadSound("sounds/bounce.wav")'

--etc

end

--simplified sound variables
--I use this to reduce the writing in the module where I'm going to use it
M.music  = M.soundTable["menuMusic"]
M.beat   = M.soundTable["gameMusic"]
M.boing  = M.soundTable["bounce"]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
local img1SheetInfo = require("images.images1")
local img1Sheet = graphics.newImageSheet( "images/images1.png",
img1SheetInfo:getSheet() )

M.logo = { type = "image", sheet = img1Sheet, frame = 1 }
M.name = { type = "image", sheet = img1Sheet, frame = 2 }
M.play = { type = "image", sheet = img1Sheet, frame = 3 }
--etc

return M
The increase in memory is slight. The measuring clock stays at 3.24mb up to level 9 and when it changes to 10 it increases 3.25 and continues like this every 9 levels.

I make this brief explanation so that everyone can understand the method I am using to program. I know it's a bit difficult to explain everything. I have received a lot of help from here and I am very grateful. I have been able to get where I am thanks to your help.

Could someone help me explaining why these increases in memory are due? With your help I could go more precisely to see where the errors are.

Thanks in advance
DoDi

Michael Flad

Michael Flad
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

If there's nothing wrong with your posted numbers, we're talking about roughly 1 byte every level ... whatever it is, it doesn't matter and I can't even imagine what might cause such a tiny increase in texture memory caused by your code.

• dodi_games likes this

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,107 posts
  • Corona SDK

Setting an object to nil simply makes it available for garbage collection.  If you are having an actual issue you can manually do a garbage collection.

• dodi_games likes this

dodi_games

dodi_games
  • Contributor

• 370 posts
  • Corona SDK

@all
Thanks for your help, I will ignore this increase in texture memory and continue the game.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]