[TOPIC: post.html]

IndieEnthusiast

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

Posting after quite sometime. It is just to say hello! How is everyone doing and what are the corona devs upto nowadays? I do not want secret project details, but just wanted to know who is working on what and if involved in any exciting projects :)

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 758 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hello, hello!

I've been busier than ever with client projects, but with the limited free time I've had to spare, I've worked on several soon to be released plugins for Corona, the first of which will be released for free next week (could be this week as well, I'm not familiar with the marketplace procedures and delays yet).

How about you? Any interesting projects in the works?

• IndieEnthusiast likes this

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have basically just returned from holiday and trying to settle back to work. I will need to get back to my dream game project right after working hours. I find it a little bit tough to balance time after work and also since I have a family to give time to. 

Who else finding time management a bit of a challenge?

GrahamRanson

GrahamRanson
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

We're ( glitch games ) still working on Veritas. What started out with the simple idea of short game with the same format as the first Forever Lost game has now turned into our biggest game yet, so yea, time management and scope is a challenge :-)

GDPR and a new baby last year certainly didn't help time management either. 

I've also been trying to put more time into the documentation and tutorials for Puggle but please see the note about time above to see how well that's going so far.

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi everyone. I've been mucking about with game dev for 6 or so years but never really put 100% effort into finishing a large project. A year ago I quit my job as an e-learning developer at a NZ bank to spend a considerable amount of time on a game I've had simmering in my mind for years. I'm 35 and living like a student off of my savings - glad the wife is tolerating the idea (so far :D). While apprehensive I'm also quite excited as I've overcome quite a few pretty technical hurdles and I'm ready for level design. I'd love to share some demo / vids in the coming weeks. It's a psychedelic, gravity/physics based space adventure/puzzler. Think Osmos + Angry birds + Gris. Of course those are all fantastic games and I'd be stoked to hit anywhere near that level.

Is there a Corona discord server? If so I think it would be a great community to build. I like having Discord therein the background to ward off the feeling of loneliness etc now that I'm largely house bound. I've joined a few other dev servers but I'd prefer a Corona specific one. Great for bouncing ideas, sharing helpful links... and just casual chat. I know that's what this forum is for but it doesn't really beat live chat and the ease of sharing stuff on Discord.

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Craig

- I think there is a developers slack group. I personally think having a discord channel would be awesome, it is free and fancier than boring slack :). Perhaps we can start a separate discussion on having a Discord group for corona?

- I have met one or two Corona devs who use discord and do chat with them occassionally

- What is NZ bank, bank in New zealand? Just curious. 

- I wish I was brave like you to leave a stable job and pursue a game developer career. Since I have a family, I cannot afford to have full focus on gaming and do need a stable income source. Too many uncertainties, like what if the game I build do not do well and I put time and money both in jeopardy? I admire your brave decision.

IndieEnthusiast

IndieEnthusiast
  • Contributor

• 227 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Graham

- What is a GDPR? curious once again :)

- Please tell us a little bit of your journey in Glitch games, like how the company started and time span and how you are doing with the games you have released both financially and with respect to job satisfaction

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Craig

- I think there is a developers slack group. I personally think having a discord channel would be awesome, it is free and fancier than boring slack :). Perhaps we can start a separate discussion on having a Discord group for corona?

- I have met one or two Corona devs who use discord and do chat with them occassionally

- What is NZ bank, bank in New zealand? Just curious. 

- I wish I was brave like you to leave a stable job and pursue a game developer career. Since I have a family, I cannot afford to have full focus on gaming and do need a stable income source. Too many uncertainties, like what if the game I build do not do well and I put time and money both in jeopardy? I admire your brave decision.

Yeah I guess we can try and get some people on one...

Yeah a NZ/Australian bank. Only there a wee while as banks are maybe not the best fit for me. Before that I was at Air NZ for 5 years but it was a more flexible job...
I have old-school flash experience and applied those skills to html/canvas to make interactive learning packages for the company. Think somewhere between PowerPoint and a Corona game... but closer to PowerPoint. I really wanted to flex my creative muscles more than that hence the big change. Why not?... you only live once (afaik :P). Totally understand your responsibilities... I took chance as I have a perfect window in my life now (prob no kids or a mortgage for a few years).

What is your Dream game project you mentioned??

GrahamRanson

GrahamRanson
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Graham

- What is a GDPR? curious once again :)

- Please tell us a little bit of your journey in Glitch games, like how the company started and time span and how you are doing with the games you have released both financially and with respect to job satisfaction

GDPR is the General Data Protection Regulation, basically a set of EU rules designed for user data privacy, controlling things like data collection and retention.

Although it didn't directly impact our games that much, we only do some basic analytics collection and as we never really use the data we simply pulled the collecting from the games. However releasing updates for 8 games across 5 odd stores is annoyingly time consuming.

Short story for Glitch is I went to uni for games dev, finished that and did a few months stint in a games company. Then I decided to try to take my dissertation project commercial, however it turns out the NHS doesn't really have much money ( who knew? ) and figured I'd just try to make and sell games myself instead.

I then started MonkeyDead Studios and began working with Unity, this was back in 2009, but after a short while I wanted to change and discovered Corona by chance and fell in love. Started working on a game and then accidentally fell into making Lime ( a Tiled loader ) and did that for a couple years but by then I was spending all my time dealing with support rather than actually developing anything so sold that off and shuttered MonkeyDead. 

A friend from college then finished uni and we decided we both didn't want to get real job and started Glitch in early 2012. We originally wanted to make a top-down pirate game but ended up making some kids educational things instead using a sort of interactive book framework I wrote for Corona.

We then took part in a 48hr Corona game jam with the intention of making a sort of horror book thing. The result was The Hauntening, which ended up being a very basic first person adventure game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_FOjAsFp4

After releasing the entry on the app store just to see what people thought of it it turns out that people liked it, so we pivoted ( as the valley people say ) into making adventure games. 7 years later and we're still in business and loving it.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]