[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Has anybody a working version of DUSK tiled engine for actual TILED version?
Started by d.mach Apr 11 2019 11:24 PM

- - - - -
4 replies to this topic
tile engine dusk tiled editor
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

d.mach

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
d.mach
  • Contributor

• 849 posts
  • Corona SDK

Can the last available version of DUSK changed to make it work with the latest TILED version?

I tried some other tile engines but was not able to create my own TILED map, so it works with them. All the available tile engines are not working with the new TILED editor.

Any help welcome, especially if there is a DUSK version or another tile engine which is able to handle image sheets for tile placement in TILED.

richard11

richard11
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

I recall looking at Dusk before starting the Qiso build, but found it hadn't been updated for a few years. Tiled keep introducing new functionality that causes the exported data to be changed on occasion so I'd be surprised if an engine that old works properly with current exports I'm afraid.

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 758 posts
  • Corona SDK

If I'm not mistaken, you are opening these tile engine related threads quite frequently.

The three free and open source tile engines that I can think of for Corona are Dusk, PonyTiled and Berry. PonyTiled is probably the easiest to use and modify. If you encounter parts that are not working, you could fix them yourself (and then consider making a pull request to the project's GitHub pages and helping out everyone using the same tile engine). If you aren't familiar with pull requests, you could identify and fix the issue and let the developer know of the issue and how you fixed it, etc.

Alternatively, you could do the same thing as Richard and I did, make your own tile engine (or build upon an existing engine to add features that you need or remove the ones that you don't). It really depends on what you need from the tile engine.

agramonte

agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,145 posts
  • Corona SDK

You can also use Tiled Loader from RG:

https://roaminggamer.github.io/RGDocs/pages/SSK2/libraries/tiled/

d.mach

d.mach
  • Contributor

• 849 posts
  • Corona SDK

thanks!

I need a tile engine which is only calculating the visible parts of the screen for better performance. Dusk was perfect for this back in the days but isn't working with the new tiled version unfortunately.

Are there some paid engines maybe?

ONE MORE THING: Is PonyTiled using this kind of feature... only calculating the visible parts on screen and removing objects offscreen?

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tile, engine, dusk, tiled, editor