[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

nhungthientai20

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
nhungthientai20
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Corona SDK

So a lot of the times I'll see someone claim WR when it's just the best time on this website. I was wondering if it's a possibility to add a Checkmark as a guarantee that every site record is actually a World Record as well.

I reckon this can be added to most popular games, and would easily clear up which games aren't fully on the site, or if they just have a small community.

To verify the checkmarks it should probably be a request by the mod team of a game, verified by the staff of this website. At least, that's just a guess of how this can be done I suppose

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,801 posts
  • Enterprise

This is a very odd question. Before I share my opinion let's deal with some Forum Administravia. 

1. Don't use odd fonts or colors. Your choice of middle gray is inappropriate and unacceptable here.

2. This appears to be quite off topic. This is for developers using Corona to build apps. It seems to have nothing to do with using Corona and only very tangentially related to app development.

Please follow our forum rules which are strictly enforced:  https://coronalabs.com/forum-rules/

Now as for the subject, I'm not sure what type of circumstance where a game or challenge would have a "World Record" and an "Event Record", such as an "Olympic Record".  For real-world events, say a 100mm dash, there is a world-wide authority or governing body for track and field that maintains their records. Local events will have their own governing body/authority that will maintain their local records and report them to the national authority and to the larger world-wide bodies. 

Record keeping is a challenge because that same 100mm dash held in Mexico City is held at altitude and in theory, will provide faster times in runs and longer distances in jumps. It's the responsibility at the higher-authority governing bodies to determine if records get "astericks *" added to the records to show that the venue or weather may have had an impact on the record.

So that's the world of sports. Your use of a (WR) or (SR) flag should be based on the data source that's supplying the data to you. It shouldn't matter much otherwise.

If you're building a video game that mimics some event where someone playing in Paris is competing in the same universe as someone in Dubai and the user's input is in direct control over the results and its your game, then you're the governing body and it's your responsibility to manage your data and determine who can claim a world record, etc. But it's only a "world record" within the context of your app.

In most games, the concept of these types of records is very rare and even more rare for multiple sources to be the master of local records that I can't fathom the scenario. What seems more likely is you're confusing the term leaderboards which are the high scores for your apps. In most cases there will be an all-time high score, a daily, weekly and monthly high score. The service provider you use maintains that data for you. For Android apps you will use Google Play Games Services, for iOS you will use GameCenter. If you're building for Steam (Windows, macOS desktop) you would use their plugin and there are a host of other services that will span cross-platform.  They all have different features that you may or may not wish to take advantage off.  But generally, multiple apps will not share the same leaderboards and I still don't see how multiple websites would have records for your game.

Rob

• agramonte likes this

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,805 posts
  • Corona SDK

Rob,

Don't waste your time! This looks like a bot that just scrapes posts from forums and posts them elsewhere. For what reason is beyond me, but it appears to be a thing.
  • Alan PlantPot likes this

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,801 posts
  • Enterprise

Nick, you are likely right. But I have to make a call. My choices are.

1. Just ban them as a spammer. This case they were not pushing, free WHATSAPP phone numbers or bogus hacking certs. I don't have the evidence that they deserve to be permanently banned.

2. I could just delete the message. I do this from time to time if my gut is pretty certain that it's spam, but I lack the hard evidence needed to block them. I usually use this option if the message has zero value to the forum or thread, but I'm willing to give them a chance. This gives them a chance to say "Hey what happened to my post?"

3. Sometimes people seem to ask a legit question on something inappropriate for this forum or this community. The OP falls into this category. I feel the poster has asked a question that may need a valid response. I may still suspect it to be a robot trying to break past first-post-moderation, but I lack the evidence to get there. But they need to be told to read the rules, post their topic in the right place and that the next time. I want them to know that they are in the wrong place.

4. Just approve it and let the community choose to ignore them or help them. If the forum post goes unanswered and it's a potential customer, or if the community is less than helpful, then damage is done to our overall community.

It's a choice that I have to make and I know you're not always going to agree with my choices.

Then there is the second question, do I go ahead and try to help them. I put a lot of effort into trying to understand the question at hand, find a way to relate it to Corona, perhaps, in the end, encourage the user to look into Corona and become a successful developer. I feel that has value.

If you feel this person doesn't deserve to be helped, don't say anything. I'm okay with that. If you feel I'm providing them bad information, then, by all means, provide your better advice. My feelings may temporarily be hurt by being called out, but I'm professional enough to recognize the customer needs the best information possible and I'm not always the best source of that information. I'll get over it.

I'm not going to be critical of your choice to help or not. I'm going to do my best to never call you out as being wrong, but present alternate opinions and suggestions that the end user may or may not find an easier approach, but I'm never going to call someone out for trying to be helpful. 

Is it possible I put too much effort into yesterday's post? Certainly. I'm fighting a bad case of the flu. I perhaps could have gotten 10 other forum posts answered instead, but it was my choice and I stand by my decision to be helpful.

Rob

• Develephant likes this

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,805 posts
  • Corona SDK

If you post that text into google you'll see 4-5 other instances on other forums. I'm not calling anyone out, just trying to help you spend time on genuine customers rather than bots.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,801 posts
  • Enterprise

I'm sorry that I've failed you. I'm sorry that I don't have time to research every first-time forum post to the level of detail that satisfies your needs. I'll work harder in the future to do more due diligence on first-time posters.

Rob

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,805 posts
  • Corona SDK

Right.....

Develephant

Develephant
  • Corona Geek

• 1,450 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Rob Miracle I personally appreciate you taking the time to explain your process, but you really don’t need to explain anything to anybody. You are by far the BEST and most dedicated forum moderator I have ever run across in any forum ever!

Hope you feel better soon.

-dev
  • XeduR @Spyric likes this

agramonte

agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,152 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hope you feel better too also. I thought it was helpful. 

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]