[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Falcon777

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Falcon777
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm adding myself to this thread to be updated regarding the 64-bit change. I can't imagine Google will keep to a date just a few months away from when their warning first appeared. What is the earilest date anyone has seen this warning?

I just saw it today. 

jose.coimbras

jose.coimbras
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Corona SDK

Google is trying to fileter the multiple platforms. I think they saw the people run from Java Kotlin Flutter... Lets wait.

joelutting

joelutting
  • Enthusiast

• 40 posts
  • Corona SDK

OK - finally figured this out and it is stupid. I emailed google developer support twice with no response at all BTW.

Anyways the store listing was greyed because I had not uploaded images (which I didn't want to do because the game was not finished!) - and so I thought maybe I put some placeholders in there...and sure enough the rollout button is now enabled.

No warning or info on the page to say this was why it was disabled!

This may have happened to me before last year....maybe I forgot...anyways if this happens to anyone else, FYI.

efgames.net

efgames.net
  • Contributor

• 198 posts
  • Corona SDK

So, any updates about 64-bit?

I was wondering - does it have to be a true x64? Can you use any shortcuts? 

Dosent corona already support ios x64?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

We are working on it as fast as we can. Yes, iOS is already 64bit, but Android isn't iOS. The build system is radically different and has many moving parts.

Rob

• hayful59 likes this

craig.stowers

craig.stowers
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

I appreciate all your hard work Rob and team :). Thankfully for me I'm happy targeting other platforms before Android.

Just wondering if this jump to 64bit will mean apps will run significantly faster?

MauMau

MauMau
  • Contributor

• 123 posts
  • Corona SDK

They won't run faster on 32bit platforms since it will still be 32bit code that is executed there. Both, 32bit and 64bit code will be packaged in one bundle afaik. So if it would be faster it would only affect the 64bit devices then.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

64bit generally means the ability to address more memory. It lets you have more precise integers, though Lua won't gain more precision. There is a year 2038 problem with os.time() being 32 bit when the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970, the value that most Unix/Linux based systems uses for a clock overflows. Getting time functions on 64 bit helps resolve that.

There are two many instances with today's hardware where 32 bit has become too small to work on.

Rob

umalemon

umalemon
  • Contributor

• 116 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Rob.

I have been using the Corona SDK for a long time.
It is able to offer many great apps to the user.

I look forward to further development of CoronaSDK.
Please do your best from now on.

For that purpose I will cooperate with what I can do.
Also, it is not a pain to provide a little funding.

There is no other option for me or my users.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

@umalemon, thank you for the kind words. We believe Corona is a great product and we glad you like it.

On the subject on a little funding, we provide multiple ways to help with funding. We created two tiers of annual support that you can purchase in the marketplace. Purchase some assets from our marketplace. In particular for Audio, there are some great bundles. 

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 764 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm not sure how many are aware of the progress, perhaps it has been discussed on Slack, perhaps not, but based on what @vlads said on another thread, this is a couple of months away:

"I'm now working on rewriting build system to gradle & latest NDK. Should be ready in couple month." (Vlads, 7 May)

tg6

tg6
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Corona SDK

How is progress now?

How is progress now?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

We are still working on it. Vlad posted this in the community Slack a few days ago:

hey @here. Just in case someone is interested, I put out some mid-road results of new android build system. At this stage you can build and run everything very easily, much simpler than before. Using newest tools (Android Studio or IDEA) and in Android Simulator (AVD). I’m working on plugging it into Corona Simulator for offline builds right now. It is complicated process and there lot of nuances and challenges, with supporting of existing plugins and build.settings entries.
This is useful if you want to get started and help with something Android related, because process is way, way more streamlined.
Just a followup on promise of transparency, what we’re working on now https://github.com/coronalabs/corona/tree/gradle/platform/android#how-to-build-coronas-android-software

That is our latest update.

Rob

• mysticeti likes this

brad.lyons

brad.lyons
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've got nothing helpful to add; joining the thread to get the updates ;)

andavidosp

andavidosp
  • Observer

• 24 posts
  • Corona SDK

I hope this could be solved soon cause i am having the same problem

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

@andavidosp, what problem are you having? The 64 bit requirement does not come into effect until August 1, 2019. You can deliver Corona apps today, you will just have to update them again by August.

We are working on this requirement. If for some reason it won't let you submit your app, look at the left hand column for a triangle. That means there's something there that's not complete in your submission.

Rob

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm already getting emails from Google warning I need to migrate my whole portfolio to the 64 bit version.  Do we have an updated ETA when this is going to be available?  This has a major impact on us and we need time to test and re-release all of our games again.

MauMau

MauMau
  • Contributor

• 123 posts
  • Corona SDK

Maybe Corona Labs should talk with Google to get a postponement, like Unity did.

CyberCatfish

CyberCatfish
  • Enthusiast

• 61 posts
  • Corona SDK

I also received a warning email from Google.
Since all the apps I have published do not support 64bit, it is written that all apps should be compatible with the 64bit version.

The contents of the first notification e-mail this year are as follows.
The important point is that 64 bit correspondence is essential from 8/1 of this year.
Only applications that use Unity are allowed exceptions up to 2021.

Also, the survey URL was included, so we sent a request for a grace period to our CoronaSDK users.
We also send requests to Google, but I feel that Corona Lab.
Google's decision has already taken place in 2017, so the grace period is short.

Attached Files

david79

david79
  • Observer

• 19 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've got nothing helpful to add; joining the thread to get the updates  ;)

same here :)

pbozzone0

pbozzone0
  • Observer

• 12 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Rob, I understand that the team are working hard on this topic, but have an estimated date when you could have the SDK ready to generate 64bit code? Many of us live from this and we have many applications developed with Corona and uploaded to Google Play. This issue is critical for us and we depend on a solution that allows us to migrate and test our apps in time.

Having an idea of a possible date of the release could help us to plan and calm anxiety. 

CyberCatfish

CyberCatfish
  • Enthusiast

• 61 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thank you so much for your support.

But yes, I want a formal announcement and schedule.

In my case, I may be particularly concerned.

Even with the current version, if you are developing on a Mac like me, there is no problem with iOS, but with Android there are problems such as object destruction and detailed behavior differs.

My development method requires more debugging time for Android.

So I may be more worried.

I am disappointed that only the Unity group is exempted  :(

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

We are working on this at the expense of just about everything else right now. It's a huge, monstrous task. We are very aware of this looking deadline and that you need time to rebuild your apps before August 1.

I can't give you any firm date.

When we have sometime firm or tangible news on this we will be announcing it everywhere: the blog, Twitter, Facebook, Slack. You will know when we know.

Rob

leokarun

leokarun
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Corona SDK

Appreciate the effort you guys are putting in. Any news regarding the update? Have been waiting patiently for all this time but with June approaching, I'm a bit worried now. Hope you'll make it in time and save us all from a potential disaster.

vj.vijay.sharma

vj.vijay.sharma
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Corona SDK

I am concerned too. Given the progress so far, is there a possibility of getting the update released on time ??

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 »

[/topic_controls]