[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

shivapp

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
shivapp
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob, this is great to hear. Hopefully we can also get a fix for Appodeal plugin for Amazon. 

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, thanks Rob.  Happy long weekend.

When everyone is back could we please get an official update from Corona on Appodeal's plan for supporting its Appodeal SDK with Corona, with confirmation of what markets they will support under Corona (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc)?

Can we also get confirmation on their intention of support for Corona SDK in general?

It is strange that after months of waiting, multiple people at Appodeal have replied to me around the same time as other users, with replies ranging from "We don't support Amazon under Corona SDK" to "We won't support Corona SDK at all".  

agramonte

agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,174 posts
  • Corona SDK

I got my response from Appodeal in less than an hour. I asked a direct question: Do you still support the Corona Plugin? That is the answer I got. Maybe it is the glitter of the new office space that has them confused. Or the strange people standing around in random areas.

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

lol.  The uni-color dress code maybe is at fault..

My questions I'd like answered, in order of assurance:

1) Will Appodeal continue to support Corona SDK (I would shocked if no, but...)

2) Will Appodeal continue to support the Appodeal Ad Mediation Plugin for Corona SDK?  (I would hope so, 50/50 on this right now)

3) Will Appodeal support the Amazon marketplace in the Appodeal Ad Mediation Plugin for Corona SDK?  (I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did)

Appodeal on Amazon has not worked since I started using Appodeal in November.  I know where are manual workarounds.  They have been very clear that they do not and will not support Amazon for Corona SDK (they support it for Unity 100%), and I'm 50/50 on whether they will be supporting the Corona Ad Mediation Plugin at all given everyone's recent messages from them.  

Crossing my fingers for the Corona response.

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Corona.  Any update on this?  I just received a third clarification from Appodeal saying they are ceasing support of the Appodeal SDK in Corona SDK going forward.  Can we please get an OFFICIAL confirmation from Corona that this is true?

I also received an Appodeal announcement of their latest re-organization of their mobile assets, and nowhere did they mention Corona in the release...

Please give us some confidence that Corona is sticking around and Appodeal is going to support it..

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

I reached out to Appodeal business team again, requesting a clear and direct answer on whether Appodeal was going to support the Appodeal Mediation plugin in Corona.  Here's my email to their business team:

For my own understanding, can you confirm that Appodeal is ceasing support of the Appodeal Mediation SDK in Corona SDK entirely?  Not just ceasing support for Amazon on Corona SDK?  

I understand from talking with your support team that Appodeal is still sticking around with Unity, and that Appodeal works in Unity for the Amazon store.

Thanks for your responses on this.  We like Appodeal so much we may advance our migration to Unity if Corona is not going to be supported by Appodeal.

Here is the response I received today:

Apologies for the delay. Yes, we will not support the Corona plugin anymore. But we will support the Unity plugin and the Amazon store.

Note now that I have received multiple confirmations from their support desk, their programmers, and now their business team (my account manager) that Appodeal is no longer supporting the entire Appodeal Mediation Plugin for Corona SDK.

I'm assuming the nil response from Corona is additional confirmation.  For Corona this should have been a slam dunk response of "of course Appodeal is supporting their plugin for Corona SDK", but there's only silence.  This is very surprising and unfortunate news that Appodeal will not support their plugin in Corona, even though they bought and own Corona, but Appodeal will support Unity and other Corona competitors.  This is certainly not a good sign for Corona and those of us who have built our games on Corona.

Bah :(

shivapp

shivapp
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Corona SDK

Is Appodeal support still talking about Appodeal plugin for Amazon on Corona or generally Corona support? It feels to me like they are talking about the later but I could have mis-understood this. Time to pick up on Unity or Xamarin maybe? Does anyone know how much of Corona will be open-sourced and will it be purely an open-sourced project?

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 839 posts
  • Corona SDK

It is again at this point where I'd like to know what the actual facts are.

If Appodeal isn't supporting their SDK for Corona, then does it mean that the plugin may stop working any day now and I should not integrate it into my new games, OR is the Appodeal SDK for Corona still supported but by the Corona Labs team instead of Appodeal's team? Or is the "not supporting" just a reference that the support team at Appodeal will not provide support on how to use the plugin, but that the plugin itself is still being developed?

Rabble, rabble, rabble! I want answers! Rabble, rabble, rabble! I'm off to bed.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,921 posts
  • Enterprise

Let me be clear on this topic...

Corona Labs has always build and maintained the Appodeal plugin. While we have a more direct line to Appodeal's SDK developers than we may have with other ad providers, it's still Corona Labs staff that build and maintains the plugin. We have been trying to get them to take over managing that plugin similar to how Vungle does theirs. In theory this minimizes problems trying to find if a bug is in our implementation or in the SDK and cuts down the time to get the plugin updates in the system. 

Corona Labs is owned by Appodeal but we are a separate company with a separate management structure. So when they say they don't support the Corona plugin, that's correct. We build and maintain the plugin.

What becomes problematic for you (and somewhat even to us), is determining if a problem is Appodeal's issue or a Corona issue. I wish I could give you a clear cut way to divide responsibilities.

Rob

• XeduR @Spyric likes this

shivapp

shivapp
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thank you Rob. This certainly clarifies a lot. Any idea if Corona will fix the Appodeal plugin for Amazon store or maybe provide workarounds? 

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi there, guys!

When Appodeal first introduced their Android modular SDK, Amazon store build support was suspended. As of right now, there is no Amazon store Appodeal SDK modular build, so it's not a Corona plugin issue, sadly, we can't fully support Amazon store builds on a modular plugin, since Appodeal doesn't have an SDK for that atm.

Appodeal team is already working on Amazon store Appodeal SDK modular build for quite some time, but they can't give an ETA for now, I will update you on this.

Since some users gave a positive feedback on building for Amazon store just fine, we left that ability, instead of just putting a stub for Amazon builds, saying something like "You can't build for Amazon store for now" and calling it a day. Right now Corona Appodeal modular plugin doesn't support Amazon store builds, since we don't even have an Appodeal SDK for that.

As of right now, we are trying to create some kind of a temporary solution, while Appodeal is working on an SDK, but don't quote me on that. There's not much we can do without Appodeal SDK for Amazon, as I've said.

Can I ask a link, where you read it? Not to be picky, but like, since Appodeal SDK for Amazon is not ready yet, we can't provide support for Corona Appodeal modular plugin builds for Amazon store. Advertising that you've seen is misleading and we should remove it. But I don't remember Corona advertising it in the first place, hence why a question about where did you got that info. Thanks in advance!

Okay, putting karpovpw, Rob, and Appodeal's posts all together I've come to this conclusion, please correct me if any of these points are wrong:

• Appodeal is no longer supporting the Appodeal SDK with Corona
  • Corona maintains the Plugin, so presumably Appodeal on Corona SDK will still function... for awhile? 
  • Corona's Appodeal plugin doesn't work with Amazon, Corona says it can't fix it without Appodeal, and Appodeal says they will not support Corona.. meaning it's very unlikely Appodeal will work on Amazon on Corona
  • Appodeal does actively support Unity and other competitors, and the Appodeal SDK works on Amazon with others

Now that Appodeal is no longer supporting the Appodeal SDK with Corona, what is the long term plan for the Appodeal Plugin for Corona?  Appodeal is obviously going to keep evolving its SDK and since it doesn't support Corona how long does Corona think it can maintain the Appodeal plugin?  Already Corona has been unable to get Amazon working in the Appodeal plugin and Appodeal is clear they're not going to support Corona in this, so what happens when the next Appodeal SDK change breaks another market (Apple, Google) in Corona's Appodeal plugin? 

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 839 posts
  • Corona SDK

@firerabbit.info, did you read Rob's latest post or the post that you quoted? I can't really follow your train of thought here and it seems to be full of errors. :P

In his latest post on this thread, Rob said: "Corona Labs has always build and maintained the Appodeal plugin." and "So when they say they don't support the Corona plugin, that's correct. We build and maintain the plugin.

Rob seems to be explicitly saying that Corona Labs has always handled the Appodeal plugin and in that sense Appodeal hasn't directly supported the plugin at any point. So, since the Appodeal plugin seems to continue to be maintained by Corona Labs, as it has been, it sounds to me like the plugin will continue to remain viable.

Now, as for the lack of Amazon support, the post by 
karpovpw that you quote reads: "Appodeal team is already working on Amazon store Appodeal SDK modular build". So, since Corona Labs is building and maintaining the plugin based on Appodeal's SDK, Corona can't yet get the modular build to work because Appodeal hasn't yet gotten their modular build for Amazon to work.

So why does Amazon work with Appodeal's SDK for Unity? It would seem to me like that SDK for Unity isn't the modular build. Once Appodeal gets their modular build for Amazon working, then Corona Labs can set it up on their plugin.

Then the question as to why Appodeal builds and mantains their plugin for Unity but for Corona. The answer might be as simple as: Appodeal owns Corona Labs and can ask Corona Labs' team to do it. Appodeal doesn't own Unity and Unity doesn't have any obligations to build or maintain Appodeal's plugin. The only way for Appodeal to get its plugin onto Unity is to do it by themselves.

If you check out https://www.appodeal.com/sdk/choose_framework there are only SDKs for two engines, Corona and Unity. The other SDKs are for Android in general, as well as for iOS with Objective-C and Swift. You can freely use these SDKs in your projects as well if you go native.

Feel free to correct me (Rob or anyone else) if I understood something wrong, but it sounds to me like Corona's modular Appodeal plugin will continue to work and gets updated to work on Amazon once Appodeal gets their modular build ready for it. Is the plugin going to break soon? No. Has Appodeal pulled the plug? No. Just chill and wait. :D

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

@firerabbit.info, did you read Rob's latest post or the post that you quoted? I can't really follow your train of thought here and it seems to be full of errors. :P

In his latest post on this thread, Rob said: "Corona Labs has always build and maintained the Appodeal plugin." and "So when they say they don't support the Corona plugin, that's correct. We build and maintain the plugin.

Rob seems to be explicitly saying that Corona Labs has always handled the Appodeal plugin and in that sense Appodeal hasn't directly supported the plugin at any point. So, since the Appodeal plugin seems to continue to be maintained by Corona Labs, as it has been, it sounds to me like the plugin will continue to remain viable.

Now, as for the lack of Amazon support, the post by 
karpovpw that you quote reads: "Appodeal team is already working on Amazon store Appodeal SDK modular build". So, since Corona Labs is building and maintaining the plugin based on Appodeal's SDK, Corona can't yet get the modular build to work because Appodeal hasn't yet gotten their modular build for Amazon to work.

So why does Amazon work with Appodeal's SDK for Unity? It would seem to me like that SDK for Unity isn't the modular build. Once Appodeal gets their modular build for Amazon working, then Corona Labs can set it up on their plugin.

Then the question as to why Appodeal builds and mantains their plugin for Unity but for Corona. The answer might be as simple as: Appodeal owns Corona Labs and can ask Corona Labs' team to do it. Appodeal doesn't own Unity and Unity doesn't have any obligations to build or maintain Appodeal's plugin. The only way for Appodeal to get its plugin onto Unity is to do it by themselves.

If you check out https://www.appodeal.com/sdk/choose_framework there are only SDKs for two engines, Corona and Unity. The other SDKs are for Android in general, as well as for iOS with Objective-C and Swift. You can freely use these SDKs in your projects as well if you go native.

Feel free to correct me (Rob or anyone else) if I understood something wrong, but it sounds to me like Corona's modular Appodeal plugin will continue to work and gets updated to work on Amazon once Appodeal gets their modular build ready for it. Is the plugin going to break soon? No. Has Appodeal pulled the plug? No. Just chill and wait. :D

I think you're confusing two different things: 1) The Appodeal SDK, and 2) The Appodeal Corona Plugin.

The SDK is owned/developed by Appodeal.  The plugin is owned/developed by Corona.  Rob clarified this.

Appodeal maintains the SDK so that it's users (Corona, Unity, etc) can use it with their plugins.  Appodeal is responsible for changes to their SDK to support their users' plugins.  This is Appodeal "supporting" Corona, or Unity.  Appodeal is no longer supporting Corona, in that they are not going to be modifying or doing work on their SDK for Corona's benefit anymore.

Case and point: Appodeal's SDK has not supported Amazon as a market for Corona to use for the last 6 months.  We've been asking them for months and they always said "more news coming". Well the news came, and they are VERY clear they are not going to be making changes to their SDK to support Amazon access in the Corona plugin. Further, they seem clear that they are not supporting any other changes to their SDK (even above Amazon) for the Corona plugin. They all say the same thing: Corona is too small to make changes for anymore.

You imply everyone at Appodeal, including their business, support, and development teams, are somehow just realizing they don't support Corona's plugin and THAT is why they are saying they are ceasing support of the Corona plugin.  I think we can trust when they say "We're not supporting the Corona plugin _anymore_", it means they are not spending their resources updating/maintaining their SDK for the benefit of the Corona Plugin.

I'm with you on seeking clarification. This should be such a simple answer for Corona to give. I wouldn't hold your breathe for Amazon or any improvement from the Appodeal SDK for Corona going forward, I imagine it's "break/fix" for Corona while Appodeal focuses on Unity and others.

agramonte

agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,174 posts
  • Corona SDK

I maintained at least 4 different advertising plugins for Marmalade before they threw the towel (including Appodeal's before they had a plugin for Marmalade). Appodeal doesn't need to support the individual engines. Anybody can create a plugin for Appodeal. They maintain the Unity plugin and soon I guess the Unreal Engine plugin (due to the deal late last year with Epic). 

Spiral from these forums has the only Admob plugin for Defold. 

• Michael Flad likes this

XeduR @Spyric

XeduR @Spyric
  • Contributor

• 839 posts
  • Corona SDK

I haven't confused the two, nor did I ever imply what you claimed I did :D There seems to be some miscommunication/misunderstanding going on.

As @agramonte also said, there's no need for Appodeal to work on dedicated support for Corona as Corona Labs can just work with the Android and iOS SDKs that are readily available (or that's what I'd expect). This is what I would have assumed Corona Labs to have been doing based on what I understood, or I thought that I understood from reading Rob and karpovpw's posts. If this is not the case, and Appodeal does indeed have a modular Android SDK that works on Amazon, then please correct me.

It's been a while since Corona's Appodeal plugin has been updated, but whether that is due to the team being busy with the 64-bit build system or something else entirely, I don't know. This'll be my last post on this particular thread and I'll just be spectating as to what happens.

firerabbit.info

firerabbit.info
  • Contributor

• 182 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agreed, and good luck :)  Think I'm mostly venting because of the work needed to migrate to another platform. Unlike time making games it's not something that has a financial return. Had I known the future 6 years ago maybe I'd have chosen another platform and avoided this upcoming work.  Ah well.

Cheers!

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: appodeal, amazon, corona, google, play, services