[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Color-Emoji support without native.* really not doable?
Started by CoronaChris Oct 27 2018 08:07 AM

- - - - -
28 replies to this topic

[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

roaminggamer

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
roaminggamer
  • Corona Geek

• 7,587 posts
  • Corona SDK

Chris - I'm glad you got where you needed to go with this.  Congrats on the effort, sticking-to-it, and the result.

-Ed/RoamingGamer

ojnab

ojnab
  • Contributor

• 570 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey Chris

I testet it and it seems to work very well. 

I am wondering... there are a lot of emojies these days, so do you create a giant imagesheet to support all of them?

I think you would be better off just exporting the emojies as separate png files and load them on the fly, to avoid filling up texture memory  with unused emojies.

Thanks for sharing. Jacob

CoronaChris

CoronaChris
  • Contributor

• 162 posts
  • Corona SDK

It is even 4 imagesheets in total, since I read somewhere that 2048 x 2048 is max-size for sheets in Corona (correct me if Im wrong). And those 27xx emojis dont fit on just one in that size.

I am afraid I dont know anything about which way would be better in terms of memory-usage. In my app young people might use more emojis than actual characters and my understanding is that in this case it makes more sense to have an imagesheet. I'd be happy to hear the technical background to this though :)

ojnab

ojnab
  • Contributor

• 570 posts
  • Corona SDK

A 2048 x 2048 imagesheet will use around 16 mb of texture memory. So preloading 4 of those will take up 64 mb in total.

That is a lot of texture memory to spend on emojies. 

So I am just suggesting that instead of using imagesheets you create a folder and export each emoji, as a separate file named after their codepoint, into that.

This way it will be easy just to load the ones they actually use... when they use it.

And your use of texture memory drop to almost nothing.

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

[/topic_controls]