[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

steinovehelset

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
steinovehelset
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

I recently started a challenge (12 games in 12 months). I'm using Corona to build the games, and I must say that I really like this game engine.

The first game called SquareSpinner is released on both iOS and android:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/squarespinner/id1436851786?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manomanogames.squarespinner

I have written two posts on my Medium if you want to read more:

We're making 12 games in 12 months

https://medium.com/antisocialgames/were-going-to-build-12-games-in-12-months-a45026e396ed

Month 1 - the beginning

https://medium.com/antisocialgames/month-1-the-beginning-e2a7a925a21f

--

What do you think about the game and my challenge?

• ldurniat and Maciej C like this

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,714 posts
  • Corona Staff

It's quite a challenge to undertake. But I say "Go for it!"

Rob

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 1,862 posts
  • Corona SDK

It is so easy to make 12 games in 12 weeks...  albeit the games will be quite simple.

steinovehelset

steinovehelset
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

It is so easy to make 12 games in 12 weeks...  albeit the games will be quite simple.

Yeah, of course! But that's not the point. I want to build games that people would want to play too!
Also, I'm hoping that the games get enough downloads so I can cross-promote new games.

I could also build games more rapid, but they would definitely suck :P

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,554 posts
  • Corona SDK

Looks like you're aiming for a similar experience and aesthetic to the ketchapp/voodoo hyper-casual games that have taken over the app store.

I believe both accept submissions to publish games like this which might be worth thinking about. It's going to be difficult to attract downloads on your own as every man and his dog is making games like this. Plus if you do get a little traction, they'll just rip off the idea anyway. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

steinovehelset

steinovehelset
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

Looks like you're aiming for a similar experience and aesthetic to the ketchapp/voodoo hyper-casual games that have taken over the app store.

I believe both accept submissions to publish games like this which might be worth thinking about. It's going to be difficult to attract downloads on your own as every man and his dog is making games like this. Plus if you do get a little traction, they'll just rip off the idea anyway. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

The first game SquareSpinner was supposed to have a very casual gameplay and simple design. I wanted to actually finish a project. I can see that this can look like a ketchapp/voodoo game because of the simpleness.

I've been thinking about using a publisher like ketchapp/voodoo, but after reading all the bad reviews and all the people they are ripping of, I can't say that I'm very tempted to give a shot.

Plus if you do get a little traction, they'll just rip off the idea anyway. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

I know that there is a big chance that they rip off the popular games. But I feel that joining them because I can't beat them, is not the way to be thinking when I know what I know about the companies.

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,554 posts
  • Corona SDK

The first game SquareSpinner was supposed to have a very casual gameplay and simple design. I wanted to actually finish a project. I can see that this can look like a ketchapp/voodoo game because of the simpleness.

I've been thinking about using a publisher like ketchapp/voodoo, but after reading all the bad reviews and all the people they are ripping of, I can't say that I'm very tempted to give a shot.

I know that there is a big chance that they rip off the popular games. But I feel that joining them because I can't beat them, is not the way to be thinking when I know what I know about the companies.

I hear you on that, I just gave up trying to compete with them in the freemium world after I had a concept ripped off in 2013.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 1,862 posts
  • Corona SDK

Anything successful and simple to clone will get copied multiple times unfortunately.

steinovehelset

steinovehelset
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

Anything successful and simple to clone will get copied multiple times unfortunately.

Absolutely!
Read this blog post https://www.raywenderlich.com/608-full-time-indie-ios-dev-and-co-founder-of-1button-a-top-dev-interview-with-thomas-castel. They apparently killed 280 clones of Mr Jump. And this was a long time ago.

steinovehelset

steinovehelset
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've come a long way on the second game of my challenge. Looking forward to share info about it.

I can't say too much now, but I can say that it's going to be a colorful platformer. Really enjoying the testing part of the development, because the game is so awesome.

Will be posting videos and screenshots here when I'm a little bit closer to the release date.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: challenge