[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

How do I determine if network.download fails?
Started by sieler2 Oct 08 2018 04:33 PM

7 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

sieler2

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
sieler2
  • Enthusiast

• 87 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

If I call network.download to "GET" a file, I can't seem to determine if it works or fails ... at least in one important case.

Here are two examples, showing (much of) the event structure I get back.  In the first case, I asked

for  foo.fum.com/mobile_data.csv (which exists);

in the second case, I asked for foo.badname.com/mobile_data.csv (which does *NOT* exist, and the domain does not exist).

The fields in 'event' (with some fields with matching data deleted for space):

The fields in 'event' (with some fields with matching data deleted for space):

Good:
                    __unnamed__ = {
                       ["responseHeaders"] = {
                          ["Connection"] = "Keep-Alive";
                          ["Content-Type"] = "text/csv";
                          ["Etag"] = "\"4f8ed-577bf29922da6\"";
                          ["Last-Modified"] = "Mon, 08 Oct 2018 22:30:03 GMT";
                          ["Accept-Ranges"] = "bytes";
                          ["Keep-Alive"] = "timeout=120, max=100";
                          ["Content-Length"] = "325869";
                          ["Server"] = "Apache/2.4.34 (Amazon)";
                       };
                       ["bytesEstimated"] = 325869;
                       ["name"] = "networkRequest";
                       ["bytesTransferred"] = 325869;
                       ["status"] = 200;
                       ["url"] = "http://foo.fum.com/mobile_data.csv";
                       ["isError"] = false;
                       ["requestId"] = "userdata: 0x600000e5d338";
                    };

Bad:
                    __unnamed__ = {
                       ["responseHeaders"] = {
                          ["Connection"] = "close";
                          ["Content-Type"] = "text/html";
                          ["Expires"] = "Tue, 09 Oct 2018 00:13:45 GMT";
                          ["Cache-Control"] = "no-cache";
                          ["Vary"] = "Accept-Encoding";
                          ["Transfer-Encoding"] = "Identity";
                          ["Content-Encoding"] = "gzip";
                          ["Server"] = "nginx";
                       };
                       ["bytesEstimated"] = 322;
                       ["name"] = "networkRequest";
                       ["bytesTransferred"] = 322;
                       ["status"] = 200;
                       ["url"] = "http://foo.badname.com/mobile_data.csv";
                       ["isError"] = false;
                       ["requestId"] = "userdata: 0x618000e42578";
                    };

A file *is* downloaded in both cases.  The bad file has:
   <html><head><meta http-equiv="refresh" 
   </head><body><script>window.location="http://dnserrorassist.att.net/search/?q="+
   escape(window.location)+"&r="+escape(document.referrer)+"&t=0";</script></body></html>

The good file has several thousand lines of .csv data.

Obviously, the http status can't be used to differentiate: they both got back 200.

I had expected to get status 404 for the bad case :)

(Yes, I could check the resulting file for size, or to see if it has "dnserrorassist" in it, but those are both kludges.)

thanks,
Stan

agramonte

agramonte
  • Contributor

• 850 posts
  • Corona SDK

Do you control the servers? The second server does not provide "content-length" as a header value? 

sieler2

sieler2
  • Enthusiast

• 87 posts
  • Corona SDK

@agramonte no, the URL is relatively free form, and not controlled, unfortunately.

roaminggamer

roaminggamer
  • Corona Geek

• 7,363 posts
  • Corona SDK

I don't agree with the kludge idea.  If the server is not properly reporting a error status, you must fall back on the info you have.

So, If you're expecting a large payload, you might be able to use the bytesSent field as a hint that something went wrong.

It isn't great, but as an additional info item you check it might do the trick.

What really puzzles me here is how you're getting a bad file back. :(    That seems like the server is screwing up and doesn't know it.

Edited by roaminggamer, 08 October 2018 - 09:03 PM.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,969 posts
  • Corona Staff

What is happening is that your internet service provider (I'm guessing AT&T) is seeing that the domain name you are requesting does not exist. Their DNS server is forwarding your request to a search engine to help you find valid results. See the screenshot of what happens when I go to the the page in my browser. 

That request is being redirected to a valid URL. A web page downloads successfully and you get a 200 result code which is perfectly valid.

My question to you is you control your code. Why are you attempting to hit a web server that doesn't exist? If you're trying to test handing a URL that doesn't exist, you should use a valid domain name and let the web server return a 404 code to you when it can't find the page. But since you're trying to hit an invalid domain name that doesn't exist, your ISP is sending you to a valid page.

What is the use case for allowing your users to go to domain names that don't exist?

Rob

• roaminggamer and agramonte like this

sieler2

sieler2
  • Enthusiast

• 87 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Rob asks: What is the use case for allowing your users to go to domain names that don't exist?

Well, I haven't found a corona api like network.is_domain_valid so I have no way other than saying "try to fetch this file".

Obviously, network.is_domain_valid is not a good function name ... it's too open to interpretation :)
E.g.: what does "valid" mean: valid syntax?  a domain that resolves to an IP address?  A domain with a valid MX record?

Perhaps: network.is_domain_reachable (domain_name, protocol) where protocol is one of "http", "https", "telnet", "ftp"? :)

SS

sieler2

sieler2
  • Enthusiast

• 87 posts
  • Corona SDK

@roaminggamer I'll probably add a file size check, since for my application, it's likely that any valid file will have

at least 100 lines of text.

That getting of a wrong file was puzzling me too, that's why I added code to dump the entire 'event' result, and then

to look at the resulting small file (data shown in OP).

I don't know (yet) what other ISPs would provide as the result of a bad domain name (or bad filename on a valid server).

Since those servers are likely to be major cellular players (AT&T, Sprint, etc) as opposed to my home's ISP, I may well

see something different in the error cases.

thanks.

Stan

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,969 posts
  • Corona Staff

I guess I wasn't clear in my question.

Why are you letting users enter domain names? It seems to me that if you're wanting to download a specific CSV file, it would have to be on a server you know about and that wouldn't be a user choice. If it's a domain name that you know about, it should resolve. Once you have a domain name that resolves, then you can use network.* to make HTTP and HTTPS requests. If for some reason there isn't a web server there or it fails, .isError will be true. If there is a valid web server to respond to the request, you will get a success (.isError will be false) and then you can use the HTTP status code to determine if your URL endpoint was valid. That's when you would get a 404.

Currently, you're failing before you even talk to a web server.  The system.canOpenURL() might provide your more intelligence to determine if the URL is valid or not, but I don't know if it will do a DNS lookup on the domain name or not. If you really need your end user to enter a valid domain name, you need to do a DNS lookup to make sure it's valid. You, of course, could do this at the native level or you can use network.request() to talk to a REST based API.  See: https://www.google.com/search?q=rest+based+dns+lookup&oq=rest+based+dns+lookup&aqs=chrome..69i57.6471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Rob

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]