[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Question about app signing and updating
Started by d2gp Aug 25 2018 11:05 AM

2 replies to this topic

Best Answer Rob Miracle , 27 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

Apple is a bit safer because they make you generate a new certificate every year, which then requires you to generate new provisioning profiles. They also don't bind your online product to the signing of the original upload. 

Rob

[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

d2gp

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
d2gp
  • Contributor

• 228 posts
  • Corona SDK

hi - on the Google side: I lost the keystore for one of my Google play apps a couple years ago and was unable to update my app. I ended up releasing it again with a slightly new name, which was annoying.

On the Apple side: is there are similar potential way of screwing-up that I should be aware of? Apple seems to make it easier by giving us a place to store and access our certs and profiles, etc., but in terms of app signing, what analagous mistake would I have to make on the Apple side such that I would not be able to update an app? Thanks.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,535 posts
  • Corona Staff

Best Answer

Apple is a bit safer because they make you generate a new certificate every year, which then requires you to generate new provisioning profiles. They also don't bind your online product to the signing of the original upload. 

Rob

d2gp

d2gp
  • Contributor

• 228 posts
  • Corona SDK

ok thanks.

Most everyone online says that once you've lost an Android keystore you're hooped in terms of every updating that app. However from the developer console you can email for support, and they give you some problem types to choose from, one of which is "lost keystore". I haven't heard back from them yet but anything interesting happens I'll post about it.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]