I'm conducting several tests. I'll post my MacBook results in another post.
My network setup: AT&T Fiber. I however am on WiFi and have a 250mbps download connection and 4ms ping times on an HP Envy Laptop running Windows 10. For the sample app, I commented out the progress, so I only get the "began" and "ended" phases printed.
Downloading https://developer.coronalabs.com/sites/default/files/corona/2018.3349/Corona-ApiDocs-2018.3349.zip via Google Chrome: 1:28 seconds.
In one run with the app in the simulator, I got this:
20:30:53.093 Downloading file: 28.24 MB
20:31:51.373 [20:31:51] Done
20:31:51.373 Finished in : 0.97 min
That was 58 seconds. However a second run, I got worse times: 2 min 50 seconds.
21:22:26.338 Downloading file: 28.24 MB
21:25:16.496 [21:25:16] Done
21:25:16.496 Finished in : 2.84 min
Then from my MacBook Pro, with Google Chrome: 2 min, 32 seconds
I tried three times to run your app on my MacBook with the file from our servers. The first two runs produced:
Aug 12 09:48:11.337 Downloading file: 28.24 MB
Aug 12 09:49:14.816 [21:49:14] Done
Finished in : 0.04 min
Aug 12 09:52:23.279 Downloading file: 28.24 MB
Aug 12 09:57:04.491 [21:57:4] Done
Finished in : 0.11 min
That's a 63 second download and 4+ minute download. I aborted the 3rd download because it was well over 7 minutes. Ironically, I had to abort downloads in the browser (on both platforms) several times because they were taking way too long.
Now to the IE file:
Google Chrome: 57 seconds.
With the test app, 1 min 58 sec.
21:33:27.608 Downloading file: 55.39 MB
21:35:22.371 [21:35:22] Done
21:35:22.371 Finished in : 1.91 min
Google Chrome on the Mac: 8 seconds
The test app: 7 seconds
Aug 12 09:45:55.399 Downloading file: 55.39 MB
Aug 12 09:46:02.693 [21:46:2] Done
Aug 12 09:46:02.693 Finished in : 0.04 min
I'm not going to do the 500mb file.
So it does appear on Windows that the simulator is slower (though I do have one test that's faster). Let me jump to my MacBook and I'll update this post for comparisons.
Here are my conclusions:
1. We have an issue with our downloads. It doesn't matter if I'm on a browser or your test app, sometimes I get similar quick speeds, sometimes I get horrible speeds. It's not possible to identify issues with the network.download() API because the downloads are all over the place regardless of where the download is happening. I'll report this to our system admins and have them investigate.
2. With a very small sample size (one run each on Windows Chrome, App, MacBook Chrome, and App), there wasn't any noticeable difference between the two Mac downloads and both were very quick. On Windows, both downloads were significantly slower than the Mac, by nearly a 10:1 ratio or more. The App was twice as slow as the browser. This could indicate a difference between the browser and the app, but with a sample size of 1, that's going to be a difficult sell to our engineers.
I'll try on Windows some more tomorrow with the IE download and see if I can get a few more data points to see if it's a transient network issue or an issue with the simulator. But on my MacBook, with the IE download there wasn't much of a difference there.