Photo

Three Questions For You...Yes You!
Started by roaminggamer Jul 22 2018 10:26 AM

- - - - -
32 replies to this topic
favorite pro indie paid free
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Rob Miracle

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Rob Miracle

• 25,895 posts
  • Enterprise

I thought @rakoonic had made the source available for it.

Rob

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

I’m late to this party, but here goes:

1. Hard to pick a single favorite but if I have to pick just one I’ll go with “Day of the Tentacle.” (With a honorable mention nod to “Landstsalker” on Genesis/MegaDrive as my favorite specifically-isometric game.)

2. I’d love to be involved in the creation of a LucasArts/Sierra-style point & click adventure. There’s some great work still being done in the genre if you look for it (see Thimbleweed Park or a lot of the Wadjet Eye Games catalog). But I’ve learned that as a developer I’m more into building mechanics and tools than crafting levels and narratives, so I’d need to pair up with a better storyteller than myself.

3. As a developer, I’m in it as a job, in both my non-Corona dayjob and Corona-based contract gigs. But I consider my personal Corona projects as “for fun.” Even if I technically monetize them I don’t really think of them as a revenue stream. That’s just icing on the cake if it works out. I know that’s hedging, but I do make the distinction in how I think about my use of Corona.

richard11

richard11
  • Contributor

• 448 posts
  • Corona SDK

Day of the Tentacle! Fantastic choice, LucasArts were a brilliant studio. Did you know one of their developers set up a new studio a couple of years ago and started to remaster the old SCUMM games? Day of the Tentacle, Curse of Monkey Island, etc are on Steam now and they've done an incredible job remastering. WELL worth a purchase.

richard11

richard11
  • Contributor

• 448 posts
  • Corona SDK

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

@richard11: oh yeah, I’ve played all the Double Fine remasters. They’re all excellent.

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 500 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ha, I see they also remade Full Throttle!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

A bit late to the party but I like talking about that stuff :)

1- Without a doubt, Ultima Online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online or https://uo.com/

The game is still alive but I doubt that it's the same game I played years ago. You can always find "gray shards" that you can play different eras of the game. It seems that you can also try it for free on the official servers.

Here is a gameplay video I just found. Current version looks pretty different from this video.

They did a postmortem for the 20th anniversary this year at GDC. Definitely worth your time.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024930/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Ultima-Online

2- Ultima Online, again. This game is the sole reason that I'm a game developer now. I'm not good at pitching so I'll just try to sum it up in one sentence. "Think about a game where the mechanics are same for everyone but every single player will tell you completely different stories."

3- For profit but I aim to have fun while making profit :)

greg brady

greg brady
  • Contributor

• 283 posts
  • Corona SDK

1. Wing Commander ][ - it was actually made in 2D using scaling and rotating of sprites to simulate 3D, so that fits right RG?  Fantastic music and incredibly immersive gameplay

wc2.jpg

2. Crossfire, a tough and fun little game that came out for the Apple ][ and maybe C64..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(1981_video_game)

Crossfire_(Apple_II).jpg

3. $$$... its a really hard business these days - fun and painful...

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

[/topic_controls]