[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

OneSignal with targetSdkVersion=26 getting error Background start not allowed: service Intent { cmp=***/com.onesignal.GcmIntentService(has extras) }
Started by p.kanarek Jun 12 2018 07:56 AM

78 replies to this topic
onesignal gcmintentservice targetsdkversion push
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

agramonte

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,221 posts
  • Corona SDK

As promised here it is. By the way Agramonte == adrianjgomez. I can't build with Agramonte anymore because of some issue with my Id.

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/73652-onesignal-android/

fixr

fixr
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thank you Josh!!!

Sorry for the delay on this, we are looking into updating the OneSignal plugin in the coming weeks for Android Oreo 8 compatibility. This will fix the `IllegalStateException` crash that are showing up.

In the mean time there are 2 work arounds that can be done;

1. Set your targetSdkVersion to 25 instead of 26; I believe the only want do this with builds done from the Corona Simulator is to use an older version. If you are building with Corona Native you can change this setting in your `build.gradle` file. Also this work around only works for updating existing apps already released on the Google Play Store. The Google Play Console won't let you create new apps with targetSdkVersion lower than 26.

2. Use the latest OneSignal Android Native SDK with Corona Native; This doesn't come with any Lua bindings so you will need to initialize the SDK and use it's methods through Java or Kotlin. However this native SDK has already been updated to support Android Oreo and works with Android Pie as well. See the OneSignal Android SDK Setup to add this to your native project.

troylyndon

troylyndon
  • Contributor

• 617 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Josh, we only use minSdkVersion = 21. According to your first work around, we should set targetSdkVersion. However, if we do that, will it shut-down our Android 8 specific code and plugins? If so, then this work around will not work.

p.kanarek

p.kanarek
  • Observer

• 19 posts
  • Corona SDK

Since topic is on fire i marked it unresolved. Let's wait for new OneSignal Plugin for Corona. 

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

New apps have to use Android 26 or later. This went into effect August 1st. This requires using Corona version 3326 or later.

Updated apps can use older versions of Android until November 1st. If you're updating an app, you can use a version prior to 3326 for a couple more months. Due to fixes in various Google Vitals checks, you would want to use a build as close to 3326 as you can.

Rob

akao

akao
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Corona SDK

+1 We are in the process of incorporating oneSignal into our new game.. 

To confirm - all the issues people are having is only with Android, but the plugin is working fine for iOS? 

josh_OneSignal

josh_OneSignal
  • Enthusiast

• 57 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Josh, we only use minSdkVersion = 21. According to your first work around, we should set targetSdkVersion. However, if we do that, will it shut-down our Android 8 specific code and plugins? If so, then this work around will not work.

I know some Android features can be used even if targetSdkVersion is lower then when they are introduced. Depends if on both the API and how the plugin is handing this if this will be an issue or not.

Maciej Czekala

Maciej Czekala
  • Enthusiast

• 71 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

any news about plugin update?

fixr

fixr
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Icy Spark

Icy Spark
  • Contributor

• 268 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm another one who relies on OneSignal for Push notifications.  I'm about to release a new game, but unfortunately can't until this is resolved.  

Any news on the plugin update would be very welcome.

fixr

fixr
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

This situation is very frustrating!
Because I need a pligin update to release a new version!!

I'm another one who relies on OneSignal for Push notifications.  I'm about to release a new game, but unfortunately can't until this is resolved.  

Any news on the plugin update would be very welcome.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

If this is holding you up, you could consider switching to their REST API based methods. Corona developer @agramonte has a nice functional library you can use now. 

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/73652-onesignal-android/

I'm not sure how much work is involved in switching as I don't use OneSignal.

Rob 

josh_OneSignal

josh_OneSignal
  • Enthusiast

• 57 posts
  • Corona SDK

We have been making progress on updating the OneSignal Corona SDK to support Android Oreo this week. Depending how it progresses it should be released in about a week or 2 from now.

If you can't wait I have condensed all 3 possible work arounds into one response here;

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/72988-onesignal-with-targetsdkversion26-getting-error-background-start-not-allowed-service-intent-cmpcomonesignalgcmintentservicehas-extras/?p=387712

Thanks.

troylyndon

troylyndon
  • Contributor

• 617 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Josh, is the new OneSignal plugin to fix the crash associated with Android 8+ resolved yet?

Icy Spark

Icy Spark
  • Contributor

• 268 posts
  • Corona SDK

We have been making progress on updating the OneSignal Corona SDK to support Android Oreo this week. Depending how it progresses it should be released in about a week or 2 from now.

If you can't wait I have condensed all 3 possible work arounds into one response here;

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/72988-onesignal-with-targetsdkversion26-getting-error-background-start-not-allowed-service-intent-cmpcomonesignalgcmintentservicehas-extras/?p=387712

Thanks.

Any updates on the plugin update?  I'm ready to release my new app.  Just waiting for this update

Josh, I tried the third option using the rest API.  Worked great for iOS and Android but can't get it to work for Amazon.  I can register the device ok but as soon as I send a test push notification, it unsubscribes me on the portal and no notification is shown on device.

fixr

fixr
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

Thanks.

troylyndon

troylyndon
  • Contributor

• 617 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Josh, is the new OneSignal plugin to fix the crash associated with Android 8+ resolved yet?

akao

akao
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Corona SDK

fixr

fixr
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Now = 06 Sept 2018  = 3 weeks?

@Josh No news?

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

Also need an update on this. So many crashes happening over the last couple months because of this :/

josh_OneSignal

josh_OneSignal
  • Enthusiast

• 57 posts
  • Corona SDK

Sorry for the delay, we have released an updated to fix this Android Oreo (8.0) compatibility issue! It will be used when using Corona 2018.3326 or newer.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

Thanks Josh!

akao

akao
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Josh!

Gent

Gent
  • Observer

• 17 posts
  • Corona SDK

When i try to install apk i got: Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED]

Builded by Corona SDK version 2018.3326 (2018.6.25) and 2018.3381 (2018.9.22)

akao

akao
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Corona SDK

FYI - We were able to rebuild using Corona 2018.3335 and install the APK on an S8 running Oreo 8.0.0. We also ran a test msg that went through. So, it seems to be working for us.

Thanks @josh_OneSignal!

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

[/topic_controls]