[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Why my app is trying to connect stats.coronalabs.com?
Started by bulupe May 08 2018 09:35 PM

6 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

bulupe

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
bulupe
  • Enthusiast

• 46 posts
  • Corona SDK

It seems my app is trying to connect 

https://stats.coronalabs.com/analytics/device/v1

Can somebody tell what is happening?

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 1,840 posts
  • Corona SDK

It is Corona collecting info on your app's users

bulupe

bulupe
  • Enthusiast

• 46 posts
  • Corona SDK

Is this legal? and is this mentioned anywhere?

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,167 posts
  • Enterprise

it's mentioned here:  https://coronalabs.com/privacy-policy-for-app-users/

however, it also mentions that "Developers may optionally elect to collect" which is not correct, as there is currently no developer mechanism to disable it - Corona has made stats collection mandatory.  (there used to be a config.lua setting "launchPad=false", but no longer appears to be supported)  so the policy's attempt to deflect the burden onto the developer doesn't work.

thus the whole premise of their app privacy policy is flawed - not necessarily illegal, but surely on shaky ground as to who is responsible for the collection, as it ain't the devs!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,315 posts
  • Corona Staff

We are working on updating our privacy policy as part of working towards GDPR compliance. The discrepancy between the existing privacy policy and turning off launchPad is likely an oversight. I also don't remember if launchPad being disabled was intentional and the privacy policy just needs updated, or its the opposite, launchPad being disabled was broken along the way.  I'll see if I can find out which is which and make sure as we update the privacy policy this gets adapted.

Rob

bulupe

bulupe
  • Enthusiast

• 46 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Rob,

Where can we find details about what data is being collected? 

Is it possible to turn this off?

Is there any other under the hood stuff happening like this? (without directly mentioning)

Thank you

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 24,315 posts
  • Corona Staff

Here's what I can tell you today. Our engineering team is working very hard to help us get to GDPR compliance. This will likely result in a change in what data we collect and how we do it. I need to respect their request to work on this and not have them go on research expeditions. Once we get these changes in, get the privacy policy updated and so on I think we can be a bit more specific on these questions.

I would request that you wait until we announce our GDPR information and then pursue these questions after that.

Rob

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]