[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

chris_raz

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
chris_raz
  • Contributor

• 210 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Again @karpovpw ok i have tested one of my apps in portrait mode. here is my results for both portrait and landscape. i made no changes to my code except for the y position of the portrait banner to sit in the safe area.

Portrait banner: (WORKS) Banners show fine, i adjusted the y position to move it up from the bottom into the safe area.
Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 8.57.16 am.png   817.63KB   0 downloads

Portrait interstitial: (WORKS) although some of the video part of the interstitial comes out of the safe area, all buttons, and also the final ad scene sits in the safe area. see the top and bottom of the screen of these two attachments, you will see all the ads ui elements sit in the safe area.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 8.56.51 am.png   499.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 8.57.02 am.png   836.66KB   0 downloads

Landscape Interstitial: (WORKS) again interstitial is all sitting in the safe area. look on the left, right and bottom. this cant be coincidence.

Attached File  Screen-Shot-LANDSCAPE.png   346.88KB   0 downloads

Landscape Banner: (NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY) The banner seems to start in the right place from the left (safe area) of the screen, it seems like the width is 100% of the screen width, hence stretching beyond the screen display. i believe the only thing that needs to be updated is setting the width of the banner to the width of the safe area in landscape only. everything else works.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.01.11 pm.png   230.55KB   0 downloads

To summarize, interstitials seem to work fine in both rotations. banner works fine in portrait, only in landscape it seems to stretch too far.

We need to get the updates out before the 20th to be compliant with admob, and waiting for admob to update their SDK is using up each precious day we have to fix, test, deploy, (and also hope they approve) and really from the results above we only need the landscape banner width fixed. the interstitials, if there is a problem, which above shows there is not, even so this is on admobs side, so if the 20th rolls around, at least we can be compliant with banners, and interstitials would not be our fault, but admobs for not updating the SDK. but from my results above, im not so sure they will be even updating the SDK for interstitials. so i dont really want to wait around to a couple days out from their deadline for the 20th, only to see they have not updated the SDK, and we have to scramble to get all our apps updated. From what im seeing the only thing that needs fixing is the banner width in landscape.

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hi chris_raz,

Portrait interstitial: (WORKS)

That is the interesting part. For me interstitials in portrait always outside of safe area. That's why I was so eagerly waiting for the sdk update. For some reason, they are laid out fine for you and the screenshot confirms that.

Let me consult with our team, maybe we can do two plugin updates in a row.

edit: it seems that everybody is fine with double update, so we can update banners layout tomorrow (it will work exactly the same, as previously, but will respect safe areas for iX, basically. Also some under the hood updates for native code) and later update admob sdk. Hope that this solution will work for most of our users.

And once again, chris_raz, thanks for your detailed response, it really helps with this decision a lot.

chris_raz

chris_raz
  • Contributor

• 210 posts
  • Corona SDK

That's awesome thanks so much @karpovpw

hogletpie

hogletpie
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

edit: it seems that everybody is fine with double update

Maybe most, but not everybody!

There are some developers who are loath to update as a consequence of Apple "spam" rejecting or asking developers to fold similar apps into a "container" app. I for one will not be updating once, let alone twice. Perhaps my view is a minority view. I fully appreciate that you have no control over Apple's review guidelines and that mobile is a constant cycle of updates.

Thanks everyone for their input! :-)

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 23,917 posts
  • Corona Staff

I feel it's important to add to this. This thread is about getting AdMob to work on the iPhone X. We really should keep this thread focused on this.

I understand that many of you are unhappy with Apple's requirements but there is zilch we can do about that. It's up to you to decide if you can live with Apple's rules or not. Corona has to move forward and provide updates that allow our customers to submit their apps. 

Rob

chris_raz

chris_raz
  • Contributor

• 210 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @karpovpw any updates when the landscape banner width is updated

chris_raz

chris_raz
  • Contributor

• 210 posts
  • Corona SDK

Oh did the update go out? Just rebuilt the appand banners are showing correctly in landscape mode now :)

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Do we still have to wait for the latest Admob SDK?

Also, are interstitials displaying properly on iPhone X in the latest build? I know I had some issues a couple weeks ago, but can’t remember if it was landscape or portrait mode.

chris_raz

chris_raz
  • Contributor

• 210 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey dialam, I don't think their was an update for admob sdk regarding interstitial, correct me if in wrong... but I have made multiple builds for all my apps in both orientations and with banners, interstitials and rewarded, all approved by apple, all ads are showing in the safe zone. The only changes I made was the y position of the banner on the top and bottom in portrait to fit into the safe area, for landscape banners with y="top" in landscape just work now in the safe area.

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, there were a lot of stuff happening lately, I thought that we already gave you an official answer, here it is ELI5:

We've released first of the two planned updates.

Banner position was fixed on every device. Banners now showing correctly on ios8/9-10/11, including iX's safe areas (when this is possible through platform version).

Interstitials/r.videos are completely on admob's side. When they'll be ready for the update - we will update our plugin once again. For me, personally, Interstitials on iX in portrait mode looked outside of safe area layouts. But screenshots above are telling us that that is not the case for everyone.

The only changes I made was the y position of the banner on the top and bottom in portrait to fit into the safe area, for landscape banners with y="top" in landscape just work now in the safe area.

Well, you can pin banners to "top" or "bottom" in the portrait mode too and it will be laid out inside iX's safe areas, just like in the landscape mode. Modifying y positions is for more precise stuff, like, place a banner a little bit closer to tabbar or something, yknow.

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @karpovpw, has there been any progress on the second phase of the updates, i.e. the SDK update from Admob that fixes the Interstitial issue on iPhone X?  Has Corona already included this in a daily build?

Thanks!

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hi dislam,

There is still no updated guides, but admob actually released their new sdk update, that includes iX support and second admob plugin update is already in work. Will be released asap.

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

The newest release is online!  B) 

Now every ad type displays correctly on iX.

d.mach

d.mach
  • Contributor

• 618 posts
  • Corona SDK

Does this mean you don't have to set a y value by hand for banner ads by looking if the device is an iPhoneX first?

So using y="top" is the way to go?

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Does this mean you don't have to set a y value by hand for banner ads by looking if the device is an iPhoneX first?

So using y="top" is the way to go?

Hi d.mach,

Banner position inside iX safe areas was corrected quite some time ago. You can look 4 posts above yours for detailed info.

This release includes newest admob sdk update:

• iPhone X support.
  • For full screen ads, the default close button now renders within the safe area.

So it's the things that we cannot fix on Corona side that got finally updated (interstitial, r.video).

Falcon777

Falcon777
  • Contributor

• 380 posts
  • Corona SDK

Perhaps it is good to update this post on what is the latest Admob version being used.

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/67506-admob-plugin-update-paid-plugin/

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Perhaps it is good to update this post on what is the latest Admob version being used.

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/67506-admob-plugin-update-paid-plugin/

Hi Falcon777,

You are absolutely right, thanks for the tip!

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Great! Thanks for your hard work.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do I need to download the latest daily build to get the updated plugin, or will the updated plugin be automatically added from Corona's servers when I build my project?

EDIT: Look slike I don't need to do an update to the daily build.  The interstitial ads seem to align fine now when I rebuild.

EDIT 2:  Were landscape interstitials fine before?  Is this just a portrait-mode interstitial fix?

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Great! Thanks for your hard work.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do I need to download the latest daily build to get the updated plugin, or will the updated plugin be automatically added from Corona's servers when I build my project?

EDIT: Look slike I don't need to do an update to the daily build.  The interstitial ads seem to align fine now when I rebuild.

EDIT 2:  Were landscape interstitials fine before?  Is this just a portrait-mode interstitial fix?

Hi dislam,

This update will be available to all corona builds starting from 2017.3049.

Well, about interstitials, chriz_raz wrote a post above, which shows that for him landscape/portrait inters are showing correctly even without new sdk update. But for my case, both landscape and portrait weren't displaying correctly inside iX safe areas. And since this is completely under-the-hood-admob-update, I can't say anything more about it.

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

I just started work on a new app using build 2017.3184.  I'm noticing that banners do not show up on the XCode simulator for the iPhone X, whereas it does for all other devices.  Interstitials are fine however.  

I'm using these arguments:

ads.show("banner", {y = "top"})

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hi dislam,

Looking into it.

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Well, for me everything works correctly, as before.

Attached File  Снимок экрана 2018-01-02 в 23.15.14.png   393.73KB   0 downloads

What we'll need from you is a bug submission at https://portal.coronalabs.com/bug-submission. Make sure to include a sample, so that we can reproduce a bug.

Also, what about listeners, can you check them? Maybe you are getting some kind of a "no fill" error specific for iX? You can try a VPN connection if it's a banners filling error. I know that this is unlikely, but I cannot reproduce an issue for myself in any conditions.

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, for me everything works correctly, as before.

What we'll need from you is a bug submission at https://portal.coronalabs.com/bug-submission. Make sure to include a sample, so that we can reproduce a bug.

Also, what about listeners, can you check them? Maybe you are getting some kind of a "no fill" error specific for iX? You can try a VPN connection if it's a banners filling error. I know that this is unlikely, but I cannot reproduce an issue for myself in any conditions.

Thank you for your quick reply and for taking your time to check this out. 

I just realized it may be a problem at my end (or Apple's?).   Since I hadn't created a specific Apple provisioning profile for this app, I used a wildcard 'test' profile - and this is where the banner did not show up, although the interstitial did.  However, now I see that if I choose an existing profile for one of my other apps, then it shows up fine.

So for now I think we're okay!

karpovpw

karpovpw
  • Contributor

• 215 posts
  • Corona Staff

Yeah, no fill errors are mainly caused by wrong provision profile. Google should somehow associate your app with an advertising campaign that you are setting up in Admob's dashboard. Provision profile stores info like an app ID, which helps google identify your app and present you a correct ad. All of that applicable for a banner ads specifically, can't say much about other ad types, since mobile ads is not exactly my field of activity.

I am occasionally encountering a lack of understanding of how provision profiles work, so it's nothing to be ashamed for or something. Glad that we are figured out everything quickly.

As always, feel free to ask any questions and concerns - it's easier to resolve any issues together!  ;)

• dislam likes this

dislam

dislam
  • Contributor

• 159 posts
  • Corona SDK

Okay, I just tried creating a new Provisioning Profile for the app, for both Ad-Hoc Distribution and App Store Distribution.

Neither profile will show the banner ad in the XCode simulator for iPhone X; however if I change to another app's provisioning profile the banners show up fine.

I'm wondering if it will take a day or two for the new provisioning profile to work in the sim.  Again, this only happens on the damned iPhone X.

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

[/topic_controls]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphonex, iphone, iphone x, admob, banner