Photo

Corona Blitz 2017.01 (April 1-8, 2017)
Started by bgmadclown Mar 18 2017 01:07 PM

- - - - -
146 replies to this topic
game jam jam blitz april itch.io prototype 4 hour jam
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
« Page 6 of 6 4 5 6
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

brainofsteel

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
brainofsteel
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey friends,

Here's my submission:
Save Everything.

https://brainofsteel.itch.io/save-everything

This was a blast. Can't wait to go check out everyone else's submissions now!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

The Blitz is now over!

Thanks to each and every one of you for your contributions and the interesting games you've built around this theme.

Now, it's time to VOTE for your favorite game! Send it to your friends, post it on your pages so everyone can vote!

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

My personal thoughts...

One thing this jam highlighted is the massive differential between timescales (I personally am end-to-end in 3 hours yet others are pushing 12 hours).  I've seen all the entries and there is clearly a vast (visual) gap between the entries - this was my original point about banning existing libraries and assets.  Hey, even Ed didn't use his own libraries when others did!!  It's like playing golf against Tiger Woods, yeah he will win, but factor in your handicap then it's game on.  

I think it is only fair that someone from Corona - like Rob - makes the call as he can evaluate code v time v existing libraries/assets used and make an impartial call.  Speaking of which, Rob, which was your entry?

These events should highlight the positives of Corona and not put off up and coming developers.  If the entire Corona developer base only managed 15 completed entries (which is real sad) then clearly the vast majority of devs were put off entering and I would wager that they thought "hey, I'm new and I cannot compete with established devs".  Thus my point about banning all existing code/assets and my "build it from scratch" philosophy - it levels the playing field and then everyone feels they have a chance a "winning".

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

My entirely unprofessional (and totally satirical - if you are in anyway offended it's just light hearted British humour!) summation of the entries 

1. tidy UP - utter drunken genius obviousy but such a trashy game - Note to self, must do better!

2. Save Everything - cool retro game - not entirely sure the point

3. Eight virtues - didn't really get it tbh

4. Road to purity - like outrun (but without cars or music or corners)

5. Brave - 2D minecraft without a torch (or mining or crafting)

6. Jumping Jet virtues - bounce around a word and don't fall off... Jet Pac spelling!

7. Virtue tic tac toe - not fooling anyone its just tic tac toe (in Orange)

8. Fall from grace - fall down a random landscape and not get burned - quite cool

8. Virtue in game design - Not sure if Ed is being philosophical or not but we don't do this for virtue..... its all about the $

9. Vir Tiw et Lupus Fenrir - I'll admit this one went over my head

10. Floss - AKA plugin hell! Sure Oral B bods will be queuing up for the license

11. Courage - KILL THE CHICKEN... Oh he's round.... hey KILL THE CHICKEN

12. Colors of Virt(h)ue -sure I seen this somewhere before... oh yeah the app stores!

13. Virtue and Vice Prototype - if only you had more time this would of been the killer app for sure! (Not joking - this gets my vote)

14. Scales of justice - you have been weighed and you are immoral... now say "3 hail Mary's and...."

15. Balls of Virtue - cool two player vibe

15. Patience - whats with all the symbols? Maybe just < and > randomly repeated would be cool?

This post is just a bit of fun and please don't take offence or a fence - as I quite like my fence.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

Well first, our host (round of applause for @bgmadclown!!!) decided against making this a formal competition. So I'm not sure I have anything to judge, but if that's the will of the people, I'm certainly open to providing some critique and picking a best in show if @bgmadclown wants me to.

Where's mine? Just in case I'm asked to be impartial, I decided not to submit one. 

Rob

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

My personal thoughts...

One thing this jam highlighted is the massive differential between timescales (I personally am end-to-end in 3 hours yet others are pushing 12 hours).  I've seen all the entries and there is clearly a vast (visual) gap between the entries - this was my original point about banning existing libraries and assets.  Hey, even Ed didn't use his own libraries when others did!!  It's like playing golf against Tiger Woods, yeah he will win, but factor in your handicap then it's game on.  

I think it is only fair that someone from Corona - like Rob - makes the call as he can evaluate code v time v existing libraries/assets used and make an impartial call.  Speaking of which, Rob, which was your entry?

These events should highlight the positives of Corona and not put off up and coming developers.  If the entire Corona developer base only managed 15 completed entries (which is real sad) then clearly the vast majority of devs were put off entering and I would wager that they thought "hey, I'm new and I cannot compete with established devs".  Thus my point about banning all existing code/assets and my "build it from scratch" philosophy - it levels the playing field and then everyone feels they have a chance a "winning".

Actually, that was a choice that I made to encourage more people to join in but it may have failed big time. Also, that was the reason why I didn't want to turn this into a contest. Maybe if we had a prize at the end like Rob offered, there may have been more participants and more games completed.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure if all the participants(42 was the last number I guess) were involved from the start. Considering the number of followers in this topic(now it's 18) there is a chance that the number of involved developers were far less than it was listed on itch.io.

In the end, those are all assumptions. I guess we have to talk more on this to make it work better.

@Rob, thank you :) It wouldn't have been possible without your support!

As always, I'm open to critique and any feedback which I think is or should be the heart of any game jam. So, yes. If anyone is willing to make things better or host another event in the future, let's start talking!

graham07

graham07
  • Contributor

• 256 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks to Adrian for his comments in this thread, I think there's a lot of fair comments raised and valid opinions. I like his reviews  B)

Per the quote above, I somewhat fell in that category :) There are a LOT of talented devs in this forum (you know who you are) and I know I can't compete. In fact I sat for most of the week just watching. However, I then figured that I'd make this attempt for me. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get anything up and running in 4 hours. OK, so I just picked tic tac toe and badly incorporated the theme, original no, but still a challenge for a newbie.

The fact that I got it all up and running in 3 hours impressed myself. Which made it worthwhile #1. The code was far from normalized and I knew it, but doing it with tables would have cost me precious time since tables drive me crazy!

For worthwhile #2, I learned that creating the binaries created a whole host of new problems I've never experienced and will need to focus on if I ever release something else :).   Sprite positioning went haywire, resolution caused headaches etc. But that was a good thing as I learned something.

So, it wasn't about winning or losing, it wasn't about impressing anybody. It was about participating in my first (hopefully not last) jam, and have some fun doing it.

For our host (thank you to bgmadclown) I would suggest better rule clarity moving forward.

Ambiguity around the plugins/templates etc was unfortunate. (Ironically I'm a huge fan of SSK but didn't use it (didn't need to) and found it quite ironic that Ed missed that memo. (it WAS no plugins at one point)). 
The theme was OK, but some would prefer something more material, but I really don't think that should throw too many people off.

Time: 4 hours was OK, albeit tight. In my limited capacity I was able to pul lit together (once it took me that long to get a sprite on screen and move it  :D ), I'd like to see a full day effort too.

Keep it up, and I look forward to future jams.

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

I loved the theme and I loved the experience.  We got some wonderfully wacky results that I'm not sure they would have been quite as clever and esoteric if the theme were "castles" or "donuts" or "cars".

I appreciated the time-limit as it broke me out of my usual "over-do-it" tendencies (if you can all mashing up a half dozen plugins not over doing it  :) ).  It was a different sort of code I wrote under pressure and I think it will benefit my future programming.

I'd gladly help with the next one.  I imagine a prize would improve the turnout - even if it were a small token of a prize.  We could all pitch in a few bucks for the winner to spend on the Corona Marketplace.

krystian6

krystian6
  • Contributor

• 560 posts
  • Corona SDK

And now as a special thanks from Corona to all of the participants: +1 year enterprise subscription [or until it will finally get free].

:)

I'm up for one since I just ran out :)

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

A few ideas for future jams...

1. A line-limited jam - "in under 500 lines", etc.

2. Only primitives allowed (i.e. no pngs)

3. Code a solution to a stipulated problem - "make a game for the visually-impaired", etc.

4. Everyone has the same starting bag of assets and has to create something with those only

5. Create a game in such a way that it can be used to teach Corona - the top 3 entries get paid by Corona ;)

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

Those are excellent ideas Adrian!  I especially like the idea of primitives and a lines of code limit even if it means giving up all my plugins  :P

brainofsteel

brainofsteel
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

I really loved watching the other time lapse that was posted so I created one of my own for Save Everything. (Just took a while to figure out how to do all the encoding and uploading...)

https://youtu.be/SBSXFkq-90w

@bgmadclown Thanks a ton for putting this together. Having participated in all three Corona Blitzes (or at least three that I'm aware of...), it gets better each time. Hosting it on itch.io was helpful too.

More frequent jams might allow for some of the constraints suggested (certain number of lines of code, primitives, including or excluding various types of preconstructed assets). I would participate (and help, if asked) no matter how frequently you put them on. They're such a great reminder of what you can do in a short amount of time if you're hyper focused.

roaminggamer

roaminggamer
  • Corona Geek

• 7,588 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey guys.  I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who was able to enter something.  You all rock!  

I am glad to see we had 18 entries which is heartening for me.  I sometimes feel like it has gotten quiet here in the forums and I'm pleased to see that there are still plenty of developers with the time and willingness to put it out there for a compo.

So again, congrats and 'awesome cakes' to each of you.

-Ed

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Welcome aboard Graham! There will always be more talented developers but I guess that's how you start being one! I hope you'll also join the next jams.

I'm taking notes Adrian :) I can't say anything about Corona paying participants but the others are really good ideas :)

I'm really happy that you liked it :) I hoped for more entries from 42 participants but I guess it could be our main goal for the next time ;) Also, like Ed said, it's good to know there are still other developers out there! Hope we can reach more next time.

By the way, there seems to be 20 entries submitted but we can only see 18 of them so if any of you forgot to set your game page to public, please do so.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Graham, glad you learned somethings. Hey, I'm still learning!  The day I stop learning will be the day I stop coding.  It is what motivates me, what drives me, what keeps me going at 3 am when a crappy bug is doing my head in.

Lua is a fantastically versatile language that (with Corona's implementation) means we don't have to deal with the low-level stuff and can concentrate on the creation.  Visual basic did the same thing for Windows development.

Initially, I found the jump from procedural-based coding to time-based coding a bit tricky but it was a mindset thing... now I find procedural programming really boring.

Stick with it and you'll create something great I'm sure!

Dev-Ze.rocks

Dev-Ze.rocks
  • Contributor

• 213 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just wanted to thank everybody involved in making this jam happen.

It was my first jam and I really enjoyed it!

The time frame of 4 hours was perfect. I am so busy these days that this was the maximum time I could afford to spend.

In the end I spent like 12 hours in total to get the game out there.

I learned a lot during the jam, most important: Better not try to use new libraries and templates when you only have 4 hours :D

Altough, in the end it was good, I wanted to have a look at Tiled since a long time...

The theme was great, no doubt!

I loved the other submissions, all very different and unique. I am pleased to see newcomers taking part, hope to see everybody around for some time.

Hope there will be some more ratings and comments soon. I left a comment for all submissions that I could test (no mac at the moment).

I also would like to suggest a no plugin/assets approach for the next jam. (It might benefit me more than others that are used to work with plugins, though. But as we had one jam now WITH plugins, the next one could be without...)

And finally, I was thinking that corona could support the next jam with some special mentions or extra publicity for the winner?

Just to motivate some more people.

Michael Flad

Michael Flad
  • Contributor

• 233 posts
  • Corona SDK

Congrats to everyone and their submissions - very well done.

Sadly I haven't been able to submit an entry on my own.

With regards to the rules, IMO, it's simply not possible to make rules that fit everyone, there's always codes with years of experience and others with only months or weeks, professionals and hobbyists ... I can't imagine a way how this could be evened out for everyone so it's probably not worth trying to hard. That said, I think it's a great idea to have different jams with different limitations and I really hope, if there will be other ones, I'll be up to the challenge and be able to submit a creation.

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,360 posts
  • Corona SDK

i just wanted to say congrats to everyone who submitted - what a bunch of clever ideas!  ..and apologize for not voting yet, i'm really hoping to try out each and every one, comment and rate, but my weekdays are hectic.  (i had some time off for spring break w kids last week, otherwise i'd not have been able to participate)

+1 for a future "100 lines" or "5000 chars" or such "just from-scratch code" jam

cheers

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,360 posts
  • Corona SDK

i rated/commented everyone, and i don't know if ratings become public afterward but my philosophy was to be very generous up to 4 stars, but reserve 5 stars for the single one I most favored.  there was such a range of different entries that, looking back, i'm not sure my ratings make complete sense across-the-board, because they were hard to compare to each other.  (glad i'm not the judge!)  i also tried to add constructive "where you could go from here" type comments, but those were mostly just fyi/fwiw - ie, if i offered a suggestion it didn't necessarily mean i found a "flaw" to deduct stars for.

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

The jam is officially over people! Thank you all for joining and voting :)

This was not a contest but here are the first 3 (but 4) games according to votes: (Names in parantheses are forum names)

1- Patience by authorwjf

2- Fall From Grace by danisobo (davebollinger)

3- Floss by sporkfin & Jet Jumping Virtues by Dev-Ze.rocks (Felix B.)

For a more detailed look:

https://itch.io/jam/corona-blitz-2017-01/results?

Congratulations everyone!

I think this was a great experience and a good starting point. Hopefully, we'll hold more(and better organized) jams in the future!

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks again for organizing this event @bgmadclown.  I really enjoyed participating and I think it was great for the Corona platform at large.  

Being a solo developer can feel isolating at times so I appreciate having a vibrant community of smart, creative and inventive people as comrades in spirit.  My social circles include several computer scientists, programmers and IT folks but no one I can really talk shop with about app development.  I look forward to future jams and the future inspiration I will gain from being part of this platform.

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Any of you want to see your games being played?

[topic_controls]
« Page 6 of 6 4 5 6

[/topic_controls]