Photo

Corona Blitz 2017.01 (April 1-8, 2017)
Started by bgmadclown Mar 18 2017 01:07 PM

- - - - -
146 replies to this topic
game jam jam blitz april itch.io prototype 4 hour jam
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

SGS

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

Trying to test and push out a big update this week so not sure I'll have time for this.... will try end of week if possible

Markus Ranner

Markus Ranner
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Markus, coming up with an idea / design / testing does NOT count against your 4 hours. It is just for the coding period.

I'll try to make it more clear in the rules section.

I know the theme is a bit unconventional but as Jay pointed out, there are endless ways to interpret the theme. For example, you can take "Platonic Virtue" from Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue#Platonic_virtue) and make a game about courage or justice. It still counts.

Hi! It's not that I thought it would be against the rules to work on the game idea for a few hours. The problem is that I don't want to be doing that. I understand the meaning of virtue about moral goodness and everything, but it still doesn't translate into more than some vague, abstract game ideas for me. I want to feel inspired and have cool, distinct ideas pop up in my head, or else there's no point in participating in my opinion.

Don't take this the wrong way. I still think it's great that you're hosting this event! But I'm also hoping that if there's a next time, maybe the theme will be a little more straight-forward...  :)

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Actually, I thought people would like a theme that is a little bit different than other game jams and could be interpreted heavily. I see that this is not what everyone wants. I like jamming to whatever theme I face because, most of the time, I end up with really interesting ideas so I don't think it's the right way to go but it might be a good idea to introduce at least two different themes for special events like this in the future but we'll see how this turns out.

That's great feedback from both you and Todd. If I host another jam, I'll keep that in mind and figure something out. Thank you.

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

Personally, I like the challenging theme.  I think part of the fun will be to see what each of us comes up with as a straight out virtue or a creative workaround.

@adrianm - I think "he became fat by virtue of eating too many doughnuts" is brilliant!   That's what I call a creative workaround and a good laugh.  I hope to see more surprises like that from the whole crew.

I put in 90 minutes today but if play-testing doesn't count, I get 30 back - yay!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Like sharp100 said, you are free to find workarounds to the current theme and that's one of the reasons that makes this jam fun.

I'm in 35 minutes and still designing the game as I progress. Also, thinking about a second idea if I can find time to implement.

@sharp100, If you got something to show, don't forget to share it via Twitter (#CoronaBlitz2017) or on itch.io community forums.

Dev-Ze.rocks

Dev-Ze.rocks
  • Contributor

• 213 posts
  • Corona SDK

I like the theme, although I still have not really an idea.

I am not sure if I understood one thing right, the game needs to be published afterwards? I read something about provisioning profiles.

I thought I will have to upload an .exe file at the end. (This is actually part of my motivation, as I never made a desktop app until now...)

Edit:

I figured it out. The provisioning stuff would be necessary for the macOS version, right?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

You have to upload something that people can download and play. Windows .exe, Mac desktop or APK will give you the widest range of devices to cover.

Rob

Dev-Ze.rocks

Dev-Ze.rocks
  • Contributor

• 213 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yeah, now I understand.

And iOS is not an option as it is not possible to distribute iOS apps outside of the Appstore in an easy way...

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

*** I'm posting this to the itch.io community forum as well but as there isn't any other activity there yet I though I'd post in both places for now***

Since the jam is limited to 4 hours, I thought it would be good to showcase the boosts in speed and efficiency that Corona Marketplace plugins can lend to a project.

Thus, I spent my first hour loading in plugins, libraries, and assets and coaxing them to play nice together (45 minutes of loading / 1 hour coding)  

Plugins
Dynamic Shader, Terrain, SSK Pro, Gesture, TweenTrain, EasySound, EasyToast

Libraries ​(My libraries)
momath, sound(2D sound), groups, text, movement (applying force to physics objects, distance and angle measures, a bunch of trig)

Assets (from the Marketplace)
Explosion Animation Library, Textures and sounds from the marketplace

Art
My own art libraries with additional normal map files for the Dynamic Shader

Images below
1. First hour of coding - a whole mess of plugins "working" together rather randomly

2. I picked my variation of the Virtue theme - "Cleanliness is a Virtue" and refined the look of the game

3. I tried to integrate two new features (unpublished) of the Dynamic Shader.  Beam lighting and vignette shadows for the landscape.

4. a.  Beam lighting = failure but Vignette lighting = success.
    b.  Started integration with Gesture plugin for object control (gesture plugin plus my movement library will drive physics motion)
    c.  Tried to integrate SSK camera features (used many times before) however I've got a glitch in my code or logic somewhere that is making the camera crash.  I'll give it another 10 minutes of coding but then I'll have to drop it.

Only 2 hours of coding left but many hours of planning and testing await.

- Jonathan

day1.png

rob.englebright

rob.englebright
  • Observer

• 17 posts
  • Corona SDK

The Virtue of temperance seems apt as I've given up beer for Lent...

so here's the baddies of the piece - demon drink...

demon_drink1.png

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,360 posts
  • Corona SDK

a shotgun has several virtues:

- it occurs early in the upgrade tree

- it's relatively inexpensive

- it doesn't require accurate aiming

- it does considerable damage to zombies

- it's easier programmer art than a crossbow

(j/k - i'm not doing "virtuous zombie shotgun" :D)

@rob.englebright - like

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

@rob - set your system clock forward 1 week and call lent done and have that beer!

@dave - make sure it's a head shot for extra kudos and the all important one shot kill

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I see some nice stuff cooking. Don't forget to share your progress through Twitter with #CoronaBlitz2017 :)

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just sent an e-mail with two videos in it but some or all might have a problem viewing those in e-mail so I'm also posting those videos here:

Virtues in Ultima IV:

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ultima fanboy alert! ;)

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

:D You can definitely say that! Yet, it's a bit sad that my Ultima inspired jam game is a pretty superficial one. Hoping my second idea will work better as planned.

brainofsteel

brainofsteel
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm excited about this theme. After participating in a dozen or so game jams with relatively straightforward themes, "virtue" is surely more challenging and requires a bit more thought, which I think is actually pretty cool. If you're frustrated with the theme, my advice would be to stretch it until you find something that gets you excited. Nobody is going to look at your final product and say "Hey, you interpreted the theme wrong!" Hopefully you can dig around in there and find a good excuse to stick around and make a game! :)

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

Self-serving much? I'm not participating in this one for two reasons, 1) big game update (this pays the mortgages and always comes first and 2) big game update!  

With a player base of 2 mil players even the smallest of bugs is a real problem!

I update monthly first week of the month so any jam in this period will come a low second to real $

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@adrianm, You'll get that it's not the case when you see my first submission. :D Actually, I was thinking like "let's make it virtue so it's not so easy for people take their ready projects and change the assets and say 'here I did it'" and all I thought was "I know I'll figure something out" which I couldn't :D I guess my other submission inspired directly from Wikipedia will be far better. (Best of luck with the updates! Which game is it? I'd love to know if it's something I'm already playing or give it a chance if I'm not.)

@brainofsteel, great piece of advice. Thank you.

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

Adrian's game is Designer City

An inspiration to us all!

Dev-Ze.rocks

Dev-Ze.rocks
  • Contributor

• 213 posts
  • Corona SDK

Designer City looks amazing! Congratz.

I think I just decided what I will try to do for the jam. I wrote on the itch.io forum as well, but let me ask here again:

is it allowed to post the game idea before actually starting to program?

sporkfin

sporkfin
  • Contributor

• 522 posts
  • Corona SDK

@ Felix B. - Yeah, tell us what you are thinking.  That's part of the fun!

Dev-Ze.rocks

Dev-Ze.rocks
  • Contributor

• 213 posts
  • Corona SDK

Will post this in the itch.io forum as well.

----

Working title: Jet Jumping Virtues

Side scrolling 2d game with tricky? (new?) controls.

The levels are made up by the seven (heavenly) virtues as words, written in a font like Press Start 2P (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Press+Start+2P):
Chastity
Temperance
Charity
Diligence
Patience
Kindness
Humility
(the right order needs to be play tested)

The player always starts on the first letter and needs to reach the last letter.
The player has one life and always needs to start from the beginning when dead.

Controls:
Each step consists of three movements: up, right, down -  in this order.
When pressed one of the movements, the player accelerates in this direction until he either leaves the screen (or some preset boarder),
a new movement is choosen or the ground (some character of the current word) is reached.
The characters can not be hit sidewards, only when in downwards direction.

Design:
Simple as the font, probably a grey square on white letters with black background, maybe different colored end letter.

Goal:
Reach the end of the last virtue. If this will be too easy (or there is time left), add some type of score, like time,
(least) number of moving cycles, number of letters touched, ...

---

Until now I basically spent 1,5 hours trying to make the first level with tiled and load it into the PonyBlitz skeleton via the ponytiled module. Could not get it to work :(

(I never used tiled before)

Lets see if I can find a work around tomorrow...

Michael Flad

Michael Flad
  • Contributor

• 233 posts
  • Corona SDK

Damn, so far I had no time to give the Jam even a try as I was stuck in a contract job longer than originally expected (and I haven't had time to improve on my Corona skills as it was a highly specialized C++ task - had to write/improve a defragmenting memory manager and image cache for a game that uses hundreds of thousands of images and way above what would fit in a reasonable amount of memory).

I'll still try to find an idea that I might be able to implement in 4 hours with the little Corona experience I have so far.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

....as it was a highly specialized C++ task - had to write/improve a defragmenting memory manager and image cache for a game that uses hundreds of thousands of images and way above what would fit in a reasonable amount of memory).

Now that's just showing off ;)

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 »

[/topic_controls]