Photo

Corona Blitz 2017.01 (April 1-8, 2017)
Started by bgmadclown Mar 18 2017 01:07 PM

- - - - -
146 replies to this topic
game jam jam blitz april itch.io prototype 4 hour jam
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

SGS

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

Maybe a future Corona Jam could be create a game in 500 lines (or some max line amount) or less using only standard Corona libraries - no ; allowed obviously.  Just an idea as this would be quite challenging.

tylerthedesigner

tylerthedesigner
  • Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Corona SDK

We could also do a demoscene jam, create a project under a certain file size (5mb or less), then share results w/ source. 

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@tyler, we changed how the theme is selected. I will announce it right before the jam starts and it's nothing related to the ones in the poll :) Also, demoscene jam is a great idea. I'm writing it down so we can make it happen in one of the next jams.

@rob, welcome aboard!

@adrianm, great idea! Jonathan Beebe used to do this years ago. We should make that happen in the following months.

tylerthedesigner

tylerthedesigner
  • Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Corona SDK

If you need any help running the jams, let me know! I have plenty of experience hosting jams :D 

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@tyler, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you :)

With less than 24 hours to go, we are 35 developers strong!

ponywolf

ponywolf
  • Contributor

• 271 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey everybody.... I pushed out a very lightweight framework that makes it easier to get started with CoronaSDK for a game jam. Most of this stuff lived in our free templates, but I ripped almost everything out (except for the structure) and put a simple text based menu on the front.

Released under the MIT license, and it should be within both the spirit and letter of the CoronaBlitz rules.

https://github.com/ponywolf/ponyblitz

---------------

This is a lightweight skeleton that is intended to make it a bit easier to get a game jam entry up and going with CoronaSDK. It has a simple text based menu scene, a game scene where you can choose from a simple "world" organization of displayObjects or easily load in a tiled .JSON map as your world.

It also includes a pre-made HUD layer for score and a few open source libraries that have been released in various places by ponywolf.

• joyKey - axis to keystroke
  • pex - particle loader
  • ponycolor - simple color conversion
  • ponymenu - text menu system
  • snap - displayObject alignment
  • ponystroke - stroked text
  • ponytiled - tiled map loader
  • visualMonitor - frame rate, displayObject counter
  • vjoy - virtual joystick, button lib

ponywolf

ponywolf
  • Contributor

• 271 posts
  • Corona SDK

Also, I'm going to at least screen record my attempt. I may try to twitch it, but that could take me longer than the 4 hours to figure out how. :)

b23vnodev

b23vnodev
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi to everyone, i just have one quick question, is the 4 hours limit just for coding or for the entire process of building the game? I use to spend more than 60% of the project time doing the analysis and design and then i can code in lets say 30% to have an additional 10% for testing. Having this clear i will be in a better position to plan and compete in the same conditions.

Im thinking on doing a time lapse of my analysis/design/development process so i can share to whom may be interested

Best regards and good luck

rob.englebright

rob.englebright
  • Observer

• 17 posts
  • Corona SDK

...and the theme is?

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

...and the theme is?

Virtue

Next time I'd like to see the time limit applied to development only and let me take as much time as I need to get the executable ready. Because dealing with certificates and profiles and such always seems to take as much time (for me) as development. :(

Jay

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

The joy of iOS!  

Virtuebehaviour showing high moral standards.

Not entirely sure how that translates into a game?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

It's a challenging theme no doubt!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@b23vnodev, the 4 hours is for development only. You can design and analyse anyway you want in this 1 week period.

@Jay, you have an extra hour to get the executable ready for each one of your submissions. If this is not enough, we can change this rule for future jams.

@adrianm, I don't want to lead anyone so if you don't want, please stop reading.

Spoiler

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

One more thing, I also extend the time period for an hour to compensate for missing out the starting time and mailing the theme :)

Saying it once again, I'm really glad to jam with you all. Good luck and have fun! :)

Prairiewest

Prairiewest
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

The joy of iOS!  

Virtuebehaviour showing high moral standards.

Not entirely sure how that translates into a game?

Agreed.  I was looking forward to participating, but this theme is so disappointing I doubt I'll continue.  I was hoping for something like "donuts", "giraffes", "castles", "fire" or... something - anything - that actually brings a visual to mind. Virtue does nothing for me.

Good luck jammers. :)

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agreed.  I was looking forward to participating, but this theme is so disappointing I doubt I'll continue.  I was hoping for something like "donuts", "giraffes", "castles", "fire" or... something - anything - that actually brings a visual to mind. Virtue does nothing for me.

I like the theme because it *is* so non-obvious. I still don't know what I'll do, which is refreshing. In other jams I'd had ideas that could be tweaked to fit almost any kind of donuts, castles, etc., kind of themes.

This one is challenging! :)

Jay

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,360 posts
  • Corona SDK

there are uncountable ways you could use "virtue" in a sentence - some of which could involve donuts and/or castles :D

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

there are uncountable ways you could use "virtue" in a sentence - some of which could involve donuts and/or castles :D

What like "he got fat by virtue of eating so many doughnuts" ?

If the theme is so tenuously linked like that then there isn't really a theme and it's just a fee-for-all.

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Go over here and get some ideas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue Just in the 'Roman Virtues' section alone there are a billion (approximate) directions to choose from.

Here are some ideas worth what you paid for them...

Shmup -- While you can shoot the enemies, dodging them makes your score go up, shooting makes it go down. Make it through a level with the fewest kills.

Word Game -- Make words while looking for the letters to fill the V I R T U E spaces. Each time you do, your score multiplier increases. Add a timer aspect so player has to choose; finish a word or use that letter to try and increase the multiplier.

Text Adventure -- Go old school with a text-based game (but use buttons for possible player actions to get around needing to code a parser) where the storyline relies on a person being virtuous in order to win. (Hardest simply because story takes so long to create.)

Anybody else want to throw something into the pot? 

Jay

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've started a new Twitter account @corona_blitz to share news, all of your progress and final submissions.

https://twitter.com/corona_blitz

Don't forget to include #CoronaBlitz2017 in your tweets so I can share it on Corona Blitz account.

Markus Ranner

Markus Ranner
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have to agree with this... This theme is far too abstract for me and kind of killed my inspiration straight away.  :( Just coming up with an idea would take my more than 4 hours. Good luck to the rest of you who'll be jamming!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,072 posts
  • Enterprise

@bgmadclown would have to confirm, but I don't think your "thinking time to come up with an idea" should count against your four hours.

Rob

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Markus, coming up with an idea / design / testing does NOT count against your 4 hours. It is just for the coding period.

I'll try to make it more clear in the rules section.

I know the theme is a bit unconventional but as Jay pointed out, there are endless ways to interpret the theme. For example, you can take "Platonic Virtue" from Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue#Platonic_virtue) and make a game about courage or justice. It still counts.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,120 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thinking time should not be included as this is 4 hours in 7 days... but surely testing is part of coding?

As we all know success its at most 30% coding and 70% testing!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

:) That's why I limited it to "gameplay testing" in the rules. I guess it would be better to allow a final look and feel to the overall gameplay at the end.

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 »

[/topic_controls]