Photo

Corona Blitz 2017.01 (April 1-8, 2017)
Started by bgmadclown Mar 18 2017 01:07 PM

- - - - -
146 replies to this topic
game jam jam blitz april itch.io prototype 4 hour jam
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

bgmadclown

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Corona Blitz 2017.01 is over!

Here are the results:

https://itch.io/jam/corona-blitz-2017-01/results

Here is a video of the games being played by Jupiter Hadley:

Hi everyone!

I know things have changed a bit lately with Appodeal acquiring Corona but this doesn't change anything "Corona Blitz" related. It's still on and the countdown has started!

The jam will start on April 1st and end on April 8th. Then, every user on itch.io will be able to vote until April 15th.

Official Twitter account is @corona_blitz (https://twitter.com/corona_blitz) and hashtag is #CoronaBlitz2017

The theme is Virtue! Good luck and have fun!

Don't forget to sign up on itch.io!

https://itch.io/jam/corona-blitz-2017-01

Here are the RULES:

• Submit as many games as you want.
  • Thinking of an idea, designing your game or testing gameplay does NOT count against your 4 hours. Only thing that counts as your 4 hours is coding part.
  • You CAN use any assets, libraries and plugins (except "Remove Splash Screen" plugin) that you create, rightfully own or have the right to use it with appropriate licenses but you have to state the corresponding licenses in your game page and your binary.
  • You can NOT use templates of any kind.
  • You can NOT remove "Powered by Corona Labs" splash screen.
  • Since this is a ranked event, you MUST upload your game in at least one of the following formats: .exe (Windows), .apk (Android) or .app (macOS)
  • You HAVE an extra hour for every single submission to make your executable files available for download. Keep in mind that this extra hour is NOT available after the jam period ends

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Status update 5:

- Kick off! Blitz has started with 37 developers and the theme is announced as 'Virtue'

- Official Twitter account is live @corona_blitz

Status update 4:

With less than a day to go, we are 35 developers strong!

Status update 3:

- We are now 18 developers strong!

- Twitter hashtag decided: #CoronaBlitz2017

Status update 2:

We are now 15 developers strong!

Status update:

We are now 10 developers strong!

I've also started posting announcements on Twitter(retweeted by Corona), Facebook(Indie Game Promo, Game Dev Show and Test, Corona Indie Devs), LinkedIn groups and many more are on the way.

I'm trying my best but I could really use some help to attract more developers. It would really help a lot if you could also retweet or share the jam on your social media accounts or wherever possible.

krystian6

krystian6
  • Contributor

• 560 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey,

we are joining as a team, some of us have Corona experience, so this should add 6 more people. 

We are going to do it at work, for 1 hour per day, I hope we won't end up with 6 similar games :)

I would like to see how it goes with Corona now since most of the team has moved to other SDKs where prototyping SEEMS faster.

Thanks

Krystian

GrahamRanson

GrahamRanson
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

On your itch.io page you have this rule listed - "You can NOT use templates, libraries or plugins." However, in another post about the jam you've said that plugins and our own libraries are allowed. Could you confirm which way around it is?

4 hours sounds like a great challenge and I'd love to take part, however, I'd really quite like to use my puggle library if I can.

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@krystian6, that's great! Don't forget to join in to encourage more people :)

@GrahamRanson, didn't know you were still around. That's good to know :) Actually, I'm not sure about libraries and plugins. I was thinking about allowing everything but support and opposition for that idea was nearly the same so I decided to keep libraries and plugins out. I'm still not sure about that rule. Which one do you think would be better?

GrahamRanson

GrahamRanson
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hehe yea still around ( I've been around here too long to go anywhere else, I'm institutionalised to Corona now. I wouldn't survive in the wild ) however I've been a bit quiet of late, I'm trying to remedy that.

Personally I'm all for allowing plugins/libraries ( maybe not actual templates though ). Partially for my own selfish reasons as I would like to use mine, however also because I think reusable code is a very useful thing to get in the habit of creating so more people should do it in general.

I can see pros and cons both sides of the argument though so definitely see where people are coming from in regards to not allowing them.

I know that when we hosted GIGJam many years ago we allowed code/art that wasn't created during the jam as long as people declared it. Judges then had a section in the score chart to adjust based on how much they felt that helped ( i.e. was it a couple of sounds, or all the artwork ). Naturally, this will now be different as the judges are just anyone on itch.io

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, maybe it would be better to allow libraries and plugins but not project / game templates. This would help speed up the work done but does not provide a foundation to build on. Do you think it would be better?

By the way, if this jam goes well I'm planning on organizing another one in the coming months where it's encouraged to use templates, a template jam.

krystian6

krystian6
  • Contributor

• 560 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm not sure.

If we allow usage of previously prepared libraries and plugins then within those 7 days we can write a template/plugin and use it. We will still get 4hrs to write?

I would opt for spending 4h on writing the code with what Corona gives you.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,779 posts
  • Enterprise

Thats the idea for not announcing the theme early. It cuts down on prep time. Frankly it takes just as much time to pop a score module on the screen as it takes to put a display.newText() on the screen. Sure the prepped one will likely use bitmap fonts and look nicer, but it's not going to save significant time over doing  a simple text representation.

I don't know that we should fear libraries and plugins. Now full templates might be too much.

Rob

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,779 posts
  • Enterprise

I just tweeted about it and posted it to our Facebook channel.

Rob

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

I agree with the idea of libraries and plugins, but no templates. Since I got a "real job" six months ago I've done ZERO gamedev, but I think I'll plan on jumping into this blitz. I think it's what I need about now. Jay

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@krystian6, as Rob said I don't think it will provide us much advantage to use libraries or plugins. I don't think any of us will be bothered to add multi-language support to our games but there is a slight chance that some plugins can make way to interesting stuff.

@Rob, that's great! Hoping for more devs to join the blitz.

@Jay, good to see you around  :) 

I've updated the rules to allow libraries and plugins. Now, everyone is allowed to use pre-made assets, libraries and plugins. Hopefully, this will lead to some interesting gameplay mechanics.

ponywolf

ponywolf
  • Contributor

• 268 posts
  • Corona SDK

We'll use all open source libraries so we can release the full source... I'm also planning on time lapsing if I can find software that's not too wonky...

I'll probably add a few Ponywolf libraries as open source things before so anyone can use them...

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

That's a great thing to do. More useful stuff for Corona developers. Thank you!

We are now 15 developers strong!

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

We are now 18 developers strong!

With less than 4 days to go, how is it going for you all? Are you getting ready for the challenge?

I wanted to add an important detail. The Twitter hashtag for Corona Blitz 2017.01 will be #CoronaBlitz2017. I'm not pretty sure if I should start a new Twitter account for this but if we get enough participation on Twitter end, I may open a new account for Corona Blitz and share all the games made.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,779 posts
  • Enterprise

What is the submission format? Windows .EXE, macOS .APP, Mobile, or a project runnable in the simulator with source and assets?

I'd recommend the simulator option, since that's what everyone can run.

Also it would be worth clarifying that the time to setup your itch.io account and to package and submit the app can happen outside the four hour development window (or does that time need to be budgeted into the four hour window?)

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,105 posts
  • Corona SDK

I was excited to enter (my first) jam but will have to pass now.... the allowing of existing libraries, plugins and especially assets is the show stopper for me as it skews it to the "haves" and not the "have nots".  

A jam is supposed to be about "what you can create" and not "what you have already created".

No ones turns up to a music jam with pre-recorded material. Or an art Jam with a partially painted picture.  This is not in keeping with the ethos of what a Jam actually is..... shame

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Rob, since it's a ranked event open to all itch.io users it will require participants to submit .exe, .app or .apk files so players can easily test out the games. Also, submission deadline is when the jam is finished and then the voting phase begins.

@adrianm, you see, we are a band of musicians jamming like there's no tomorrow and right in between passages, I'd like to add a Deep Purple flavor to the jam and start playing the main riff from Smoke on the Water. I wasn't sure, I wasn't even thinking that it was possible to play something I have known before but it fit right there. After playing the main riff for let's say 5 seconds, we keep on with our jam. In the end, we spiced up our jam song with a little bit of a classic but it's still the jam that matters.

If you don't want that, I'm willing to be that "vanilla jammer" to jam with you. I won't be playing any Smoke on the Water or anything I've known before. Let other jammers play what they want, I'll keep it simple and only improvise. I'd really like to see you jamming and making great stuff. Hoping you'd change your mind.

SGS

SGS
  • Corona Geek

• 2,105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@bgmadclown I make great stuff (as others here can testify).  I feel you somewhat trivialised my point....

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm pretty sure you can make great stuff, I'm not questioning or challenging that. I just want you to jam and make great stuff with us.

I'm sorry if you feel this way, it was never my intention to do so. I'm just saying that I don't think it is against the ethos of a jam. It's still a jam but without strict rules so you can add a little bit of flavor to it but not set your jam on pre-made stuff since it's highly unlikely to fit into the current theme and context. You still have to improvise to stay in the game.

Again, I'm sorry if I sounded like I disrespected you. I just want you to join the jam, that's all.

GrahamRanson

GrahamRanson
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

I was excited to enter (my first) jam but will have to pass now.... the allowing of existing libraries, plugins and especially assets is the show stopper for me as it skews it to the "haves" and not the "have nots".

A jam is supposed to be about "what you can create" and not "what you have already created".

No ones turns up to a music jam with pre-recorded material. Or an art Jam with a partially painted picture. This is not in keeping with the ethos of what a Jam actually is..... shame

To stay with those analogies for a second, you may not turn up to those jams with pre-recorded music or half a painting, but you will show up with a guitar or paintbrush. To me, plugins are tools much like those.

You may have a point about pre-existing art assets etc however.

I figure, if you want to jam without anything, that's great. Do that. And if people want to jam with a plugin, that's also great. It's a jam for some fun, so let's all have some.

krystian6

krystian6
  • Contributor

• 560 posts
  • Corona SDK

No ones turns up to a music jam with pre-recorded material. Or an art Jam with a partially painted picture.  This is not in keeping with the ethos of what a Jam actually is..... shame

As much as I agree with you, and would rather see what people can do with a 'vanilla' Corona, I understand others want to use the tools they use every day to work. I simply think this is not a contest but something fun to do. For me, it's just a way to see what can we do with 4 hours in Corona, as opposed to what we can do with 4 hours in Unity.

We used to make 1-hour code golf sessions every week, but I haven't organize that for quite a while [now we have a ModNation Racers league ;) ] so I decided this will be cool for us to participate in.

Honestly, if I would treat this as a contest, we wouldn't take part in it, because it's simple to spend 8 days on this and say 'it was done in 4 hours'. The only reasonable way to make it a contest would be to:

1. prohibit premade code

2. provide a set of libraries to use and provide the list upfront

3. provide a set of graphic and sound assets upfront

4. have a specific start date

5. have a specific end date 4 hours later where users are required to have code pushed to github/bitbucket or other public repo

6. 1 hour later a deadline for a working APK [so we allow 1 hour to adjust some settings to make the code "releasable"]

This would be a contest. 

What we do, is just having fun, so getting upset because someone can use premade libraries simply makes no sense [to me ;) ].

Regards

Krystian

tylerthedesigner

tylerthedesigner
  • Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Corona SDK

Honestly, if I would treat this as a contest, we wouldn't take part in it, because it's simple to spend 8 days on this and say 'it was done in 4 hours'. 

I have to agree with krystian6 on this one. This doesn't seem like contest material, there is no way to enforce the rules. Most hackathons that have any sort of reward or competitive element hold to a specific time frame and ensure users can't develop beyond the provided time and scope. 

Also, considering there is a voting for the theme, and its easy to see the current results, most users will know the theme in advanced, so they could submit within the first 4-6 hours and still have days of lead up time. 

I'd recommend in the future, if you are going to do a theme survey, hide the results and start with more options.

rob.englebright

rob.englebright
  • Observer

• 17 posts
  • Corona SDK

Sounds like fun. I'll have a bash.

Probably on the 7th.

Haven't done any corona stuff in a while.

miles.eisenman

miles.eisenman
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Corona SDK

Is this a competition for individuals or can we work in teams?

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 »

[/topic_controls]