[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

cyberbora101

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
cyberbora101
  • Observer

• 19 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Corona Devs, Did someone already here made a mobile apps like microsoft outlook? where you can send and receive email messages? Can you help me how or any tips to make a apps like microsoft outlook? thanks

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 20,406 posts
  • Corona Staff

While Corona SDK certainly has the tools to fetch content from a server, display a list of messages in a tableView, react to touching a tableView by showing another screen with the full contents of that message, building a good mail app itself is a huge undertaking.

First, what problem are you trying to solve that the device's built-in email clients or the existing Outlook client can't do?

Are you wanting to fetch mail from Outlook servers? Do you also want to support IMAP and POP3 based servers? 

There are no simple API's to talk to mail services. You will have to write the communications code using the Lua socket library and you will have to manage handing encrypted data. You have to have setup screens to let users enter their email configuration, select the type of encryption, server and port number username, password etc. and that's just to fetch the mail. Luckilly sending is pretty much uniformly SMTP based (instead of three different email reading protocols), but you still have to deal with multiple encryption types over socket level communications.

Our openssl plugin probably can handle the encrypting/decrypting of the mail, but it may not support every protocol and you may also have to have facilities to fetch certificates and public keys from the servers.

The complexity of building a multi-purpose email client (or even a single purpose) is a lot of work and requires a lot of specialty skills that not that many developer's have.

Now if the email service you want to connect to happens to have a RESTful based HTTP GET/POST type API where you can use network.request() then things get considerably easier.

Rob

cyberbora101

cyberbora101
  • Observer

• 19 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob for your reply. And yes, I also realized that it is kind of difficult to work with. So maybe I will just try to embed the webmail using WebView instead of creating my own outlook server?

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]