Photo

What is Default Splash Screen?
Started by gamebit.labs Sep 16 2016 01:04 AM

- - - - -
232 replies to this topic
pricing free corona sdk
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Abdou23

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Abdou23
  • Enthusiast

• 80 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Abdou23, we appreciate your feedback (and all feedback in this discussion). To re-confirm what has been said already, Corona remains free... just with a 2-3 second splash screen. You can continue using Corona exactly as before -- and submitting iOS apps that are compatible with iOS 10 -- without paying Corona Labs anything. I'm not sure where that point was lost in the communication of this announcement. Corona remains free for all users unless they want to remove/customize the splash screen. As for new features, what do you want to see? We already have a full particle system, along with various lighting and shadow effects. A "camera" object is also relatively easy to implement. Perhaps if you clarify what things you desire, I can help point you toward the proper resources.

Thanks for responding, you seem to be missing my point, what I'm saying is that it's your right to try and monetize your product, but in return, you need to offer the paying users something NEW  in return. I understand that Corona is still free to use but the way you added this "Feature" makes me worry about what might happen in the future, maybe someday out of the blue you decide to charge users in order to submit their apps.

PS: please point me towards the docs for the particle editor and light/shadow effects. 

Supertapp

Supertapp
  • Contributor

• 289 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Brent My perception of it is that it makes a product feel cheap.  Its like going on a website and seeing something like "built with wix" in the bottom corner, it just doesn't look nice.  Corona is great for games and I feel the splash is less offensive there, however there are a lot of business apps made with Corona too built around their own branding and this splash screen would really spoil the feel of the app.

bubblebobble

bubblebobble
  • Contributor

• 309 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have been with Corona for 4 years, I did think the removal of the tier system was a mistake and not a very good business decision. CL could of reduced the pro and enterprise costs perhaps and kept the splash screen version.

I have always been happy paying for something that people work hard to develop and Corona is continuley being developed without a doubt.

I got to thinking a while back perhaps they thought with the advent of corona ads or whatever it was, they could reap some money back.

Personally a little warning would have been good, but hey $99 is a small drop in the ocean.

I look at it like this, the people generally annoyed about this are beginners and have no revenue from their apps, surely this is a hobby at first in lots of circumstances; we choose to spend our cash on beer, cars, electronics etc, I chose to spend mine on the pro subscription as a beginner and as a hobby; it was a hobby until I began to earn money from my apps.

I am  generalizing here but just my opinion.

david668

david668
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

Rob / Brent - how about an introductory softer hit of $49 for the time being? And perhaps give your current loyal users a limited coupon code as a nice gesture to save a further % off that price? 

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,803 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have been with Corona for 4 years, I did think the removal of the tier system was a mistake and not a very good business decision. CL could of reduced the pro and enterprise costs perhaps and kept the splash screen version.

I have always been happy paying for something that people work hard to develop and Corona is continuley being developed without a doubt.

I got to thinking a while back perhaps they thought with the advent of corona ads or whatever it was, they could reap some money back.

Personally a little warning would have been good, but hey $99 is a small drop in the ocean.

I look at it like this, the people generally annoyed about this are beginners and have no revenue from their apps, surely this is a hobby at first in lots of circumstances; we choose to spend our cash on beer, cars, electronics etc, I chose to spend mine on the pro subscription as a beginner and as a hobby; it was a hobby until I began to earn money from my apps.

I am  generalizing here but just my opinion.

I think it's the opposite. Beginners won't care about a splash screen. While $99 is nothing if you're a pro (so long as you're given time to budget for it...), it's more that it's part of a worrying trend of sudden, major changes in strategy over the past 5 years. 

ivan888

ivan888
  • Contributor

• 397 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Nick,

Just for info, Enterprise small and unlimited do not have to pay to remove splash screen (for now).

jrobi772

jrobi772
  • Observer

• 6 posts
  • Corona SDK

Why this need to one day to another for backward versions? Why cant say from oct 1 will be force a splash screen into every application? This will be only make angry the peoples.

stephannvasconcelos

stephannvasconcelos
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

I started on Corona and Lua on 2012. Now, I'm rage quitting. Welcome Unity3D

ivan888

ivan888
  • Contributor

• 397 posts
  • Corona SDK

You are still gonna pay Unity, even more.

varun.raja.30

varun.raja.30
  • Contributor

• 107 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

I am enterprise developer, than also i am getting this in my app as well.

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I guess the plugin is not even v1 as Brent mentioned.

InfuseDreams

InfuseDreams
  • Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Enterprise

Guys, I know it's optional, but if you are a professional & skilled designer/front end developer, then having an advertisement as your splash screen is cringe worthy, and very amateur. In my case, it is a non-starter, and would be a non-optional payment I would personally have to make. If you don't mind having a splash screen then perhaps you are building apps as a hobby and not a career, which is perfectly fine.  

My main point relates to the obtrusive, sudden and blunt way that Corona introduced this new "feature". As a loyal and existing user I am upset. I feel deceived. I am about to submit my app to the Apple store, and have found out that my current build will be rejected if I don't upgrade to a new build, which has a $99 catch. My app will have 2 splash screens if I don't pay for it. Very amateur. Especially when we are trying to compete against 1000's of other great apps.

Splash screens are definitely not portrayed as amateurish. Nearly every AAA game released on PC/Consoles has the splash screen of the engine they used to create the game (i.e. unity, unreal etc). 

Most see it as a point of pride (myself included), and i'd say less than 1% of users actually bat an eyelid to splash screens.

Caleb P

Caleb P
  • Corona Geek

• 1,424 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey guys! I've been a Corona developer for quite some time. I've developed a number of very popular tools for Corona. I've also made a couple of games, published one, and am in the process of making a couple of much more ambitious ones. I absolutely love Corona. That said, keeping repetition of what everyone else has said to a minimum, I've gotta say the way this was done (no warning, sudden announcement, $99 to remove an ad from your existing projects) was not so great.

I will always put some form of "made with Corona" in my games--I'm very grateful to Corona, and I'm fine with showing it. I'm willing to do a "made with Corona" splash screen. That said, I'd love to be able to be in control of what it looks like and not just "now you must show a bright orange splash screen for a few seconds before your game starts." The two games I'm working on are really quite big and fairly "artsy." I consider having a splash screen of this sort equivalent to showing an advertisement at some point during a game--it's fine for some games, but can you imagine LIMBO or Undertale popping up an advertisement?

Again, I do not mind splash screens or giving credit to Corona, but I really, really want to be in control of what it's like. In a game like mine (beautiful, sort-of-experience-based dark fantasy immersive goodness), an orange stock "Powered by Corona" splash screen just doesn't work. Consider making a separate plugin tier (say $49 or so) that allows you to create a custom splash image that says "powered by Corona Labs" somewhere but can be designed by yourself. I don't know how that would work; maybe you could have somewhere we can pass splash screens by the advertising team to see if they're acceptable.

Also, before anyone jumps down my throat for not being willing to pay $99 to remove the splash screen, let me just say... I'm 17 years old, in my first semester of college, and my game is being completely made by myself with a friend doing the art. As ridiculous as it sounds, no, I do not even have $99 to remove a splash screen. Really. My entire programming venture, which has been around for about five or six years, has had a budget of about $100 total--$50 for the vector graphics editor I use, $30 for Mainstage 3 for the expanded GarageBand instruments, and $20 margin because I'm sure I used it somewhere.

- Caleb

ivan888

ivan888
  • Contributor

• 397 posts
  • Corona SDK

@VARUN.RAJA:

Then Corona guys need to update pricing table, where explicitly says No splash for enterprise.

https://coronalabs.com/pricing/

juliusbangert

juliusbangert
  • Contributor

• 157 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have to agree with the large majority of people posting in this thread, I do not like this 'feature' and feel that the move was sneaky. Why not be honest with the people who have been loyal customers to your platform? Why not simply say sorry guys we messed up moving from subscription to free and actually need more money. Attempting to hide this in a Marketplace plugin is deceitful.

A question : What happens if I continue using an older daily build to submit the app I'm due to publish this week? Is there some new apple requirement that will result in rejection?

3denator

3denator
  • Observer

• 14 posts
  • Corona SDK

A question : What happens if I continue using an older daily build to submit the app I'm due to publish this week? Is there some new apple requirement that will result in rejection?

I have the same question really.

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

Here is the answer to your question:

To better outline the context of this: When Apple enabled iOS 10 submissions following their September 7, 2016 keynote event, one of the updates was additional automatic scanning of files in the app bundle to detect potential issues. With this new process in place, everyone who submitted a Corona Simulator or Corona Enterprise build started getting a failure message from Apple due to problems with “app thinning.”

https://coronalabs.com/blog/2016/09/14/submitting-apps-to-apples-itunes/

loughrank

loughrank
  • Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have to agree with the large majority of people posting in this thread, I do not like this 'feature' and feel that the move was sneaky. Why not be honest with the people who have been loyal customers to your platform? Why not simply say sorry guys we messed up moving from subscription to free and actually need more money. Attempting to hide this in a Marketplace plugin is deceitful.

This is the issue I'm having.  I updated to the most recent build so I can support iPhone7 / iOS10 a couple days ago, and was shocked to find this new Splash Screen.  It's no coincidence that this update is timed with the new release of iPhone7 - we are essentially forced to comply.  

My project is for a very large client, which will probably bring a lot of great press to Corona, but this new splash screen is having them lose all confidence in the future of the SDK (along with the new ad pinching model).  In order to move forward with the project, I'm forced to spend the $99/year myself, rather than price gouge my clients.  It's just a sad day for Corona users.  

I've been using Corona since 2012 and have paid plenty for subscriptions in the past.  This type of bait and switch is going to force me, my clients and many other developers to switch to Unity - it's just difficult to convince anyone otherwise at this point.  This company is a sinking ship that consistently makes poor decisions.  

juliusbangert

juliusbangert
  • Contributor

• 157 posts
  • Corona SDK

My frustration and annoyance with Corona aside...
What does all this mean in terms of the files we need to include when submitting to apple? And creating splash screens? Do we still need to include all the launch image sizes and orientations? And list them in the UILaunchImages for ios in build.settings? Or is this obsolete? Where is the documentation for this?

InfuseDreams

InfuseDreams
  • Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Enterprise

My project is for a very large client, which will probably bring a lot of great press to Corona, but this new splash screen is having them lose all confidence in the future of the SDK (along with the new ad pinching model).  In order to move forward with the project, I'm forced to spend the $99/year myself, rather than price gouge my clients.  It's just a sad day for Corona users.  

A very large client who baulks at paying $99 ? 

Seriously now, a lot of people are taking this way too far. 

If said large client used Unity, they'd pay a lot more than $99 to show their own splash screen.

Developing an SDK of this size costs a lot of money. Developers can't put food on their families table with their good intentions alone.

The product has to take in income to pay the people working on it. 

It's that simple.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

@Abdou23, here are the resources Brent mentioned:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/api/library/display/newEmitter.html

(look for the composite.normalMapWith1DirLight and composite.normalMapWith1PointLight entries).

@varun.raja.30 are you doing Simulator builds or Enterprise builds? I can get the team to look into this for you.

@juliusbangert Our splash screen has no effect on Apple's use of UILaunchImages. You could produce your own which would show before the splash screen. The documentation is in the Project Build Settings guide:   https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/buildSettings/index.html#launchimage.

Rob

jch_apple

jch_apple
  • Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Corona SDK

For guys using Corona since the beginning, it's a new step (it used to be 99 per year, then 195 per year per platform, and so on). Having to pay 99 dollars a year should not be a problem (may be in some countries where 1 dollar is lot of money ?). The way it has been announced is not good. Hope this extra revenue can help Corona improve the Text engine and the widgets (I made a dream....)

nick_sherman

nick_sherman
  • Corona Geek

• 1,803 posts
  • Corona SDK

A very large client who baulks at paying $99 ? 

Seriously now, a lot of people are taking this way too far. 

If said large client used Unity, they'd pay a lot more than $99 to show their own splash screen.

Developing an SDK of this size costs a lot of money. Developers can't put food on their families table with their good intentions alone.

The product has to take in income to pay the people working on it. 

It's that simple.

The $99 is not the point. The point is the message it sends - yet another change of business model. Is Corona SDK going to be around in a year so we can continue to service our apps or is it going to fall off a cliff when they run out of new owners willing to take a punt on it?

We know Corona is great, but people making the decisions at big companies don't, all they see is Corona Labs changing hands yet again.

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,337 posts
  • Enterprise

Observation:  worst roll-out strategy ever.  I can understand that Corona Labs is a tech company, staffed by programmers probably doing double duty on all sorts of responsibilities, but is there no-one there with a business degree?!

Non-issue:  sure, I'll pay the $99 to remove the not-so-attractive nagware.

Immediate concern:  build 2950 came out on 9/16, I built and published an update on 9/17, the blog releases details of the splash screen on 9/19 indicating that it's effective as far back as build 2949.  My published app does not currently appear to have this new splash screen, but is it going to "phone home" and download it and start displaying it eventually?

Ongoing concern:  after having paid the $99, can the splash be ENTIRELY eliminated  - ie, not one of yours, not one of mine, just gone COMPLETELY, WITH NO STARTUP DELAY ADDED?  This will be a big deal.

InfuseDreams

InfuseDreams
  • Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Enterprise

The $99 is not the point. The point is the message it sends - yet another change of business model. Is Corona SDK going to be around in a year so we can continue to service our apps or is it going to fall off a cliff when they run out of new owners willing to take a punt on it?

I think the biggest and only reason we've seen several changes in business model is that every single time Corona attempts to charge in any way, shape or form for their product, this exact thing happens.

A vocal minority goes nuts and makes them out to be the new satan and attempts to force Corona to reverse the decision.

They are being fair in my opinion. Trying new things to get the balance worked out (balance between what the users are happy with and what makes financial sense for them) and are not digging their heels in with a system that people deem too much.

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 »

[/topic_controls]