Photo

What is Default Splash Screen?
Started by gamebit.labs Sep 16 2016 01:04 AM

- - - - -
232 replies to this topic
pricing free corona sdk
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

gamebit.labs

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
gamebit.labs
  • Contributor

• 183 posts
  • Corona SDK

Dear Corona, 

I noticed a new pricing structure in https://coronalabs.com/pricing/, and some changes. 

Under FREE, there is an item called Default Splash Screen. What is this?

I interpret it means that all builds made with Corona (Free version) will include a powered by Corona splash screen, and we need to pay Corona $99 every year to use our own custom splash screens? 

Please advice. 

Ben

Vince_

Vince_
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Enterprise

Interested to hear as well.

Alex@Panc

Alex@Panc
  • Corona Geek

• 1,731 posts
  • Corona SDK

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,337 posts
  • Enterprise

they've apparently already built in the support, its presence revealed by this exception::

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/65470-resource-not-found-exception-corona-splash-screenpng/

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Before the whining gets started, ZERO end users care about a "powered with" kind of splash screen. ZERO.

It will give Corona some (needed) exposure to other game devs and normal end-user people will just ignore it.

Jay

sirmania

sirmania
  • Contributor

• 154 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think a splash screen is a good idea. The user is getting an amazing platform for free.

And it is really cheap to get rid of if you don´t or your client doesn't like it ;)

InfuseDreams

InfuseDreams
  • Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Enterprise

I agree with the +1's here.

I think it's great that Corona can potentially generate some more revenue. 

Companies don't run on fumes people, remember that.

nil

nil
  • Contributor

• 106 posts
  • Corona SDK

Would splash screens be added to corona's latest daily builds but not from 2015 builds or would they be able to do it to older versions also?

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I don't think anyone would mind the splash screen because nearly all engines do this with their free tier and I think $99 / year is very reasonable price.

Falcon777

Falcon777
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hopefully this is not true. I wouldn't mind paying $99/year to support Corona if some of their ads plugins like FAN and Admob get updated to the latest version with native ads support and no rev share.  Not just to remove the splash screen,  That would be following what Unity did years ago.  Corona used to proclaim their free tier is truly "free" unlike Unity.

3denator

3denator
  • Observer

• 14 posts
  • Corona SDK

when will this start to apply ?

what does this sentence mean ?

*Splash Screen can be removed or edited with a $99/year plugin on the Corona Labs Marketplace

how will the splash look like ?

would this still affect people who use old corona versions ?

bramvbilsen

bramvbilsen
  • Contributor

• 243 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hmm,
I really don't mind the splashscreen but it should look a bit better then it does at the moment... Are you guys open to some splash art made by the community that could be used as the splashscreen?

bgmadclown

bgmadclown
  • Contributor

• 706 posts
  • Corona SDK

I guess the default one is good to go. I don't think they will replace the standart logo with a pretty one but offer the $99 option for you to customize it.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

Falcon777

Falcon777
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Corona SDK

Very disappointed with the newly announced splash screen control feature.  How can this be even called a "feature"?

I am a Corona user for several years and have even paid for the pro subscription for 3 years before it went totally free (with the exception of Enterprise version).  As a courtesy to existing users, I think Corona should at least made available a version that is compatible with the latest Apple submission policy but without the default splash screen. Give us at least some notice ( a few months) before this sudden transition.

While I understand Corona need revenue to grow, this sudden inclusion of splash screen to "force" user to subscribe to yearly splash screen removal plugin is worrying.  Is Corona facing some financial crisis at the moment and this is the last attempt effort to save the platform?  We need to know this especially those of us who have several apps developed using Corona. This could affect our decision to continue adding more features to our existing Corona powered apps or devote resources to move to another platform (or go native).

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

ADMIN: There is going to be a lot of discussion about this. To help keep things focused, I'll be directing other threads that start up to this thread.

FearTec

FearTec
  • Contributor

• 218 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have no problems paying $99 a year to help support Corona.  I was a pro member 4 years ago and had no problems paying a few hundred a year for pro.  I would love to go enterprise one day to develop and apple watch portion of my upcoming (and only app) but that is the future.

I will be paying $60 a month for mongoDB and $20 a month for an AWS server (when the free tier expires) and that is not an issue for me.

If anyone is winging about $99 they obviously can't dream big and don't have a business plan or faith in themselves.

My worst nightmare is Corona collapsing and then having to learn swift/android etc.  Good job Corona I love your work and thanks for a few years of free Corona. It would have been nice t throw in another sweetener with the $99 though (allowing paid members to list a link back to their website "patreon style")

P.S Here is my development blog with all of my free development guides: http://www.fearby.com 

undecode

undecode
  • Contributor

• 198 posts
  • Corona SDK

So basically the splash image is an excuse to charge $99 per year. What annoys me is that is called a feature.

No advantage over previous builds, just ... put this splash corona image and pay $99 if you want to have a normal app.

Even if people defend the price tag (which is totally ok), I see this as another step back in the competition against other engines, or native.

david668

david668
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

Despite the many bugs and pitfalls that Corona has (and Coronium), I have enjoyed using the platform and BaaS for over a year now. I was contemplating just the other day to move over to React Native for my front end dev, and Firebase for my BaaS, both which are highly recommended and very easy to use and learn.

After seeing your announcement of wanting to charge $99 / year to remove the splash brand has finally pushed me over the line to make the swap. You guys need to understand something. There are two types of developers out there:

1) Devs who code out of their garage on a very tight budget who want to create amazing apps

2) Devs who have amazing apps out on the market who are making revenue.

Out of the two, who do you think can afford to pay the $99 / year? (on top of Hosting and on top of the Apple 99/year subscription). You are about to lose a very large % of customers, and are going to deter any new customers wanting to join your network with this new pricing "scheme". The fact that this pricing model does not target new customers, or customers earning a certain revenue per year, is sad.

You have basically put up your middle finger to your entire loyal customer base.

Shame on you.

rich.stupek

rich.stupek
  • Enthusiast

• 68 posts
  • Corona SDK

david668 I disagree with you.  You aren't being forced to pay $99/year.  Just live with the momentary splash screen which other comparable tools have been forcing on people.  You're asking corona to give you an ever evolving development tool for free (which they'll do) without giving anything back to them.  I'd rather they charge everyone money and stay in business than go under.

Vince_

Vince_
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Enterprise

@david668

Plenty of other SDKs have a splash screen. Off the top of my head, the two most popular are Unity and GameMaker. For Unity, the cheapest plan to remove a splash screen is $395 per year. For GameMaker, it is a one time fee of $149, but you also need to shell out another $600 to be able to export to iOS and Android. Both of these tools are a lot more popular than Corona, and Corona could use a much needed boost in brand awareness.

Corona is still offering the core sdk for free and all they ask in return is that you show an image at the start of your app for a couple seconds.

And just out of curiosity david668, how do you monteize your apps so that you can continue to fund your server costs and Apple license?

Falcon777

Falcon777
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Corona SDK

david668 I disagree with you.  You aren't being forced to pay $99/year.  Just live with the momentary splash screen which other comparable tools have been forcing on people.  You're asking corona to give you an ever evolving development tool for free (which they'll do) without giving anything back to them.  I'd rather they charge everyone money and stay in business than go under.

They have been earning from other business models such as the Corona Card/Enterprise. In addition, they also take a cut from the many monetisation plugins they released lately.  It is not just about the $99 which I agree is not a very big sum.  To me, it is about how this has been communicated to us (sudden inclusion in a crucial daily build that we have no choice to use if we were to submit to App Store) and also what is current status of this platform.  Are they just looking to make more profit or is this an attempt to save the platform from dying. We need something clearer from the team rather than just announcing via a daily build release update as a new feature.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,793 posts
  • Enterprise

Hi everybody,
This is a competitive market where it takes a lot of effort to remain the best platform for cross-platform 2D development. Corona is not an open-source hobby project where we (Corona Labs) can casually tinker away at whatever we feel like working on, perpetually and forever. Corona as a core product and development platform remains free, and asking developers to show a splash screen to help raise awareness about Corona seems reasonable, as does asking $99 per year to let you remove our logo or replace it with your own

@bramvbilsen, I think we will be open to alternate artwork ideas. We are discussing having a competition for splash screen designs. We've just started talking about this, so we don't have any information yet.

@unicode, we see it as a feature. The splash screen control when purchased allows you to have your own image as a splash screen. Many people have struggled with adding this to their app in the past. For Android builds, you were limited as to what you could do. Splash screens now work nicely in a cross-platform manner.  We are looking to add features to it going forward.

@3denator, the splash screen is a Corona Labs logo with text that reads "Powered by Corona Labs".

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

One question: is $99 per account, so covering all your apps or $99/year per app?

rich.stupek

rich.stupek
  • Enthusiast

• 68 posts
  • Corona SDK

I agree it could have been communicated much better (basically they couldn't have handled it worse than they did).  And I am well aware of their other ways the monetize through taking parts of the ad stream which I have major issues with that I've never gotten a good answer to (like where the ads come from and how can we have some modicum of control over the types of those ads that are appearing in our games).

They have been earning from other business models such as the Corona Card/Enterprise. In addition, they also take a cut from the many monetisation plugins they released lately.  It is not just about the $99 which I agree is not a very big sum.  To me, it is about how this has been communicated to us (sudden inclusion in a crucial daily build that we have no choice to use if we were to submit to App Store) and also what is current status of this platform.  Are they just looking to make more profit or is this an attempt to save the platform from dying. We need something clearer from the team rather than just announcing via a daily build release update as a new feature.

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 »

[/topic_controls]