[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Facebook Audience Network - Corona revenue share?
Started by PXL artificer Jan 14 2016 07:07 PM

66 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

hogletpie

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
hogletpie
  • Contributor

• 152 posts
  • Corona SDK

Roj,

To echo the earlier posters. 

Please do not add the revenue share model to Vungle, AdMob and Chartboost (pre-existing monetization options) without some degree of notice.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Definitely. As the other said, please don't add the rev share on the ad plugins we already have (admob etc). Or at least, give us a few months notice before doing that, so we can have enough time to decide what to do. 

hogletpie

hogletpie
  • Contributor

• 152 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agreed. Months rather than weeks is needed. Thanks.

gamebit.labs

gamebit.labs
  • Contributor

• 187 posts
  • Corona SDK

Roj,

To echo the earlier posters. 

Please do not add the revenue share model to Vungle, AdMob and Chartboost (pre-existing monetization options) without some degree of notice.

Taking revenue share from developers' ad monetization rather than typical software licensing models for using Corona SDK - this is a fundamental business model issue and i think Corona has already hinted to us developers where they are going with this. What i see now is, rather than choosing to make this public on their website, they have chosen to announce them in selected/newer plugins. It is a matter of time before older plugins are deprecated & replaced with newer versions, each with a revenue share clause. 

I am deeply unhappy about this. I don't want to be locked down and I am already weighing options.

Ben.   

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure where this rumor/panic originated about Corona suddenly attaching a revenue share to every monetization plugin including AdMob and Vungle. Each plugin will be treated uniquely, and our goal is to offer a wide array of monetization options to help you succeed while also continuing to offer Corona SDK at absolutely zero cost to you.

We have been completely forthcoming about documenting and announcing every plugin which involves revenue sharing, including two additional blog announcements for the Facebook Audience Network plugin: we listened to the developer community, reduced it from 20% to a "tiered" structure (with an announcement), then to a flat 5% as it currently stands (with another announcement). So we're definitely not attempting to "hide" anything.

Best regards,

Brent

• gamebit.labs and roj like this

agramonte

agramonte
  • Corona Geek

• 1,174 posts
  • Corona SDK

Also even if they switch the Admob extension over night, it won't impact your already deployed apps. Those would already have the old version baked in. 

• gamebit.labs likes this

Chribbe

Chribbe
  • Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure where this rumor/panic originated about Corona suddenly attaching a revenue share to every monetization plugin including AdMob and Vungle. Each plugin will be treated uniquely, and our goal is to offer a wide array of monetization options to help you succeed while also continuing to offer Corona SDK at absolutely zero cost to you.

We have been completely forthcoming about documenting and announcing every plugin which involves revenue sharing, including two additional blog announcements for the Facebook Audience Network plugin: we listened to the developer community, reduced it from 20% to a "tiered" structure (with an announcement), then to a flat 5% as it currently stands (with another announcement). So we're definitely not attempting to "hide" anything.

Best regards,

Brent

For our part as a developer making all our revenue from ads and as a long time corona user, (and supporter by having Pro and Enterprice licenses for years) it's a big concern for us that Corona is moving towards a revenue share model. We've been looking at integrating AppLovin for our games using the new plugin, but the 5% revenue share just feels like a big ripoff, as it would cost us thousands of $ per year. It would be a pretty bad business decision.  We could buy like 100 Unity Pro licenses with that.  Maybe it's a model that could work if you're a tiny/hobby developer just starting out, but if you have a running business using Corona it doesn't make sense to pay the price you're asking for here. Hence the "panic", at least on our part.

Maybe allow Enterprise license users to use the plugin without paying the revenue share? Or at least put a ceiling in there, at a reasonable leve / year or something.

• mbrennan and redninjacat like this

rune7

rune7
  • Contributor

• 365 posts
  • Corona SDK

As far as I remember Corona already gets a cut from revenues from existing Ad-Networks. If I recall 15% from Vungle. Don't have a number from AdBuddiz, but for sure they take a share. I assume it exists in other ad-networks plug-ins they implemented.

Chribbe

Chribbe
  • Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Corona SDK

As far as I remember Corona already gets a cut from revenues from existing Ad-Networks. If I recall 15% from Vungle. Don't have a number from AdBuddiz, but for sure they take a share. I assume it exists in other ad-networks plug-ins they implemented.

What? I had no idea? We're using the Vungle plugin - can someone from Corona confirm this?

roj

roj
  • Observer

• 27 posts
  • Corona Staff

The numbers provided by run37 are untrue re: figures.  

Chribbe

Chribbe
  • Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Corona SDK

The numbers provided by run37 are untrue re: figures.  

Ok, but are Corona taking a revenue share from the Vungle plugin at all?

roj

roj
  • Observer

• 27 posts
  • Corona Staff

Our deals with monetization partners do not cut into your earnings at all (outside of FAN and AppLovin)

For example, if you work with an ad network directly, your typical rev-share will be 70% publisher, 30% ad network.

If we have any sort of relationship with an ad network, the rev-share breakdown is still 70% publisher, X% Corona Labs, Y% ad network.  

You're still getting 70% in both cases - except in one the ad network pays Corona Labs to get access to a larger base of developers.  

Chribbe

Chribbe
  • Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Corona SDK

Our deals with monetization partners do not cut into your earnings at all (outside of FAN and AppLovin)

For example, if you work with an ad network directly, your typical rev-share will be 70% publisher, 30% ad network.

If we have any sort of relationship with an ad network, the rev-share breakdown is still 70% publisher, X% Corona Labs, Y% ad network.  

You're still getting 70% in both cases - except in one the ad network pays Corona Labs to get access to a larger base of developers.  

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a reasonable model you could use for FAN and AppLovin as well. 

roj

roj
  • Observer

• 27 posts
  • Corona Staff

Yep, trust us when I say that's what we would have preferred as well.  The more ad network plugins we launch that operate in a way that do not impact developer earnings should have the right impact I think on these two into the future.  

We have many many more monetization plugins coming on board in the next few weeks that also will not impact developer earnings.  Stay tuned!

• Falcon777 likes this

rune7

rune7
  • Contributor

• 365 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, the number may have changed. But two years ago when I checked the subject this was what I was told by a contact in vungle. Anyway, neither Corona nor you knows what happens within an ad network. I used to work for an affiliate network and you wouldn't believe the things they do to manipulate nubmers. I wouldn't be surprised if they manipulate numbers to get their desired share. In an industry where the typical descrepency is over 10% and sometimes as high as 40%, everything is possible. The only thing we can do is compare and judge by the end result we get from each.

dmglakewood

dmglakewood
  • Contributor

• 399 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, the number may have changed. But two years ago when I checked the subject this was what I was told by a contact in vungle. Anyway, neither Corona nor you knows what happens within an ad network. I used to work for an affiliate network and you wouldn't believe the things they do to manipulate nubmers. I wouldn't be surprised if they manipulate numbers to get their desired share. In an industry where the typical descrepency is over 10% and sometimes as high as 40%, everything is possible. The only thing we can do is compare and judge by the end result we get from each.

I think you're mistaken. I've got tons of contacts over at vungle and applovin. I've been to both offices a few different times. I think what you're thinking is back in the day the corona team would charge companies to build plugins for their ad network. That's actually why applovin never had a plugin for corona according to their vp corona approached them and told them it would be X dollars if they want to have their ad network on corona and they said have a nice day.

rune7

rune7
  • Contributor

• 365 posts
  • Corona SDK

It was when Vungle first added their plug-in. Perhaps its different now, but I'm sure they still have some rev-share. As roj said, it may be from the network cut. However, as I explained above, you have no way of knowing what happens within a network accounting. Its so easy to manipulate. Your measure should be the bottom line you receive from a network.

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]