[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Has Fuse rebranded or does Corona have a new parent company?
Started by Alan PlantPot Nov 30 2015 01:07 AM

* * * * * 1 votes
16 replies to this topic
fuse perk corona
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Alan PlantPot

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Alan PlantPot
  • Contributor

• 920 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've just noticed that the top of the forum page now says:

aPerkCompany.png

I was just wondering whether there are any changes we should be expecting with regard to Fuse or other monetisation options?

Andriy Pertsov

Andriy Pertsov
  • Contributor

• 211 posts
  • Corona SDK

Also notice this change today. Waiting for official commentaries. But had feeling it would be not very encouraging.

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Perk.com bought Corona Labs from Fuse Powered. Adam Salamon, founder of Perk, tweeted this link a few minutes ago:

https://t.co/wv1FEz6jpF

Alex@Panc

Alex@Panc
  • Corona Geek

• 1,733 posts
  • Corona SDK

Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes
  • Contributor

• 233 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd be interested to try the Perk Rewards approach. However, I waited and waited for the Fuse plugin to be available (and not beta)... So I'm not holding my breath just yet. :)

Dave

conor1

conor1
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

Worried about this on two levels.

1. Corona got sold again

2. Price $1.5M is a low value which might indicate a poor future.

Real danger is staff leave, development slows and it all fizzles out over next 2 years.

Perks (I know nothing about them) may be looking for benefits that might not accrue and then they cut off funding....

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

Worried about this on two levels.

1. Corona got sold again

2. Price $1.5M is a low value which might indicate a poor future.

Real danger is staff leave, development slows and it all fizzles out over next 2 years.

Perks (I know nothing about them) may be looking for benefits that might not accrue and then they cut off funding....

I was thinking those same two things, neither of them seem to be good signs.

Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes
  • Contributor

• 233 posts
  • Corona SDK

Conor1 & Glitch Games, I agree.

Corona is a good platform, but it seems like a great deal of shuffling going on, and I'd feel a lot better about it if Corona was bought by a larger corporation* focused on mobile development as opposed to another ad provider.

I've been in the world of web development for about 15 years, and I just recently finally put to bed one of my sites from ~2002. It still worked; it just looked too crappy to continue to exist. ;-)  Web technologies have moved extremely quickly, and it's hard to keep up, but the thing with websites is -- you don't have to. The website will continue to work just fine (usually). You have to learn the new technologies to keep yourself relevant and marketable, but that ancient website will be just fine.

Apps are different though... There are all kinds of new changes constantly, and new requirements from apple/google, and it's scary tying yourself to any framework, be it Corona, Unity, Xamarin, Titanium, etc. It's hard to know what the future holds for any of them, and you want to know that someone has your back and is handling all these new things behind the scenes. For now, I'm sticking with Corona because it's just so easy. And I would hope that in an absolute worst-case scenario, they would open source it so development could continue in some capacity. That's what makes me not worry about it as much.

* Even a large corporation like Microsoft has problems. Many developers believed them that Silverlight was the future and jumped on that technology, and now it's being quickly killed off as browsers are dropping support. It's tough for developers to make good technology decisions sometimes.

Dave

Charles McKeever

Charles McKeever
  • Contributor

• 116 posts
  • Alumni

Hi everyone. Thank you for sharing your concerns and thank you for being patient during this transition.

In the short term you will see some branding updates, like the Perk logo addition, and the press release, but for the most part it's really just business as usual. The engineering team is working on desktop Win32 and OS X features, along with regular bug fixes and feature requests. So there's plenty to keep them busy.

The Corona team is strong and we are all excited about Perk's acquisition of Corona Labs. We are all ready to take Corona to new heights.

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

The Corona team is strong and we are all excited about Perk's acquisition of Corona Labs. We are all ready to take Corona to new heights.

I don't want to come off too cynical, but, wasn't that very similar to what was said after the Fuze purchase?

seanh

seanh
  • Plumber

• 263 posts
  • Corona Staff

roj has started a thread in the introduction forum https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/60401-hey-folks-im-roj/

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Let's wait and see, still early to tell what's going to happen.

I've used Corona for years, it's a fantastic product, and would have loved to see them grow like crazy and become an independent and super profitable company, the Unity for 2D apps... So well, not ideal what happened (and sad to see Walter go), but hey, maybe Perk has some new good ideas to relaunch Corona with their rewards.

Must admit that I find the all Perk/SuperRewards/Appsaholic system kinda sketchy (wasn't something like watching ads to get rewards against iOS guidelines?) but I'm probably wrong and it will be a great way to monetise our app.

Said that, better safe than sorry, and beginning to learn a new language/platform "just in case" it's probably a very good option (used to be an Actionscript coder and it's not the first time I had to start from scratch).

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

and sad to see Walter go

Has that been confirmed? I haven't seen that said, however I may have missed it.

Edit - Ignore me, just saw the blog post.

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

It's in the blog post Walter wrote and posted today -- stepping back from day-to-day and into an advisor role.

Jay

walter

walter

• 726 posts
  • Alumni

Hi all, I made some relevant comments in this thread: 

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/60401-hey-folks-im-roj/?p=313093

joe528

joe528
  • Contributor

• 800 posts
  • Corona SDK

The question is... 

Why was it so quiet this time for the transaction?

Last time, it was a big announcement when Fuse came in... but this time, I also saw the Perk logo on Corona website to find out something was going on. I know there is some announcement but it was much quieter.

And I was still waiting for the Fuse plugin, OMG!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,309 posts
  • Enterprise

I don't think there was much of a difference actually. Once the ink was dry on the deal, we re-branded both times. Perhaps we got the blog posts up a little earlier than we got the branding up. This time the branding changed about the same time the blog went up.

Rob

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]