I'm currenlty developping an iOS/Android game with Corona, and I'm relying on Vungle to display video ads, which is the only one supported by Corona to provide video ads I'm aware of.
During my tests, I encountered many many issues with Vungle video ads, on both iOS and Android. I recently run some tests focused on Android, and the very bad results I get are the reason I seriously doubt of the reliability of this ad provider.
I built with Corona simulator 2015.2772.
I tested on the following devices:
- Galaxy Note 3 with Android 5.0
- Google Nexus 7 2012 with Android 5.1.1
- HTC Sensation with Android 4.0.3
- Wiko Cink Slim with Android 4.1.1
All these devices run the same version of my app, and are connected on the same wifi.
I tested with a Vungle App Id flagged as "Test Mode", and one "Active". Here are the results are get, expressed in approximate percent of success:
- Galaxy Note 3: Test Mode: 90% ; Active: 60%
- Nexus 7: Test Mode: 40% ; Active: 60%
- HTC Sensation: Test Mode: 0% ; Active: 0%
- Wiko: Test Mode: 0% ; Active: 50%
These results are really worrying. On some device, Vungle video ads just never work.
When it doesn't work, the call to ads.init("vungle", vungleId, vungleListener) never triggers the vungleListener callback function. Even on the most successful devices, it never works at 100%. Sometimes, after 2 ads, it stops working. I have to kill the app or sometimes clear the data and relaunch it to make it work again. All this seems quite random.
I tried many other things, like changing the device langage, or connecting through a VPN to test if I had better luck in different countries, but it didn't seem to affect something.
Here are my questions:
- Do you encounter similar issues with Vungle?
- Is it an issue on Vungle side, or on Corona plugin side?