[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

tvOS & Apple TV
Started by PXL artificer Sep 09 2015 05:09 PM

121 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

PXL artificer

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Carlos, tvOS is very very new, and it's probably not that easy to port Corona to tvOS in such a short time when they're already working on other different ports (desktop os).

Not sure about Unreal. I read Unity is coming to tvOS but you have to consider they're a much bigger player than CoronaLabs.

Anyway, at the moment we just have to wait the Engineering team to look at tvOS and hope to have a definite answer soon, IF they're going to support tvOS and WHEN.

I also believe it's a tremendously important platform to support.

A game I'm working on would be perfect for tvOS (controlling the player with swipes is perfect for the trackpad) and I'm considering to start porting the current Lua code to Swift if Corona is not going to be available for tvOS. 

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

Mine just arrived, so will have a play with it over lunch ( it's restoring now ).

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,789 posts
  • Enterprise

Engineering just got their AppleTV yesterday. When you get AppleTV, it doesn't have the OS installed. You need to give us a reasonable amount of time.

Rob

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,789 posts
  • Enterprise

Engineering has had some time with their device and we want to give you realistic expectations on getting Corona ported to tvOS.

This isn't going to be an easy thing for us to do. There are enough changes that we will have to treat it like a separate platform, like OS-X desktop, Android, etc. While tvOS uses many of the iOS frameworks and programming patterns well known to native developers, they are different operating systems with different requirements. For instance, the CoreMotion framework is not part of tvOS. Not only do we have to remove CoreMotion, we have to remove our dependencies on CoreMotion.  There are multiple frameworks like this. We then have to provide support for new frameworks too. The idea where Apple said it would be easy, they were talking to native developers who know the iOS lingo. As a framework, we have to build out the entire thing.

You've asked us to make desktop available and we have committed our engineering resources to bring those to bear and give you a robust and stable enough platform. Once we are there with a robust, stable and somewhat self-sufficient platforms for both, we can then consider tvOS.

We have to consider the user base of the platform. There isn't one. We don't know how well this device will sell. We don't know what kinds of games and apps will be successful there. What we do know is that many mobile games and apps are not going to be practical on a TV with a remote.

While we can't get you to Apple TV in the near future, there are things you can do today to get ready for it.  If you're interested in this platform and you want to be successful there, what you might want to consider is build a really good desktop game first. Put your energy now into getting a game up in the Mac store.  Get good at building large screen 1080p based projects. Think about your navigation and ask if it's something someone with a remote control can play the game well. Once you have a proven successful OS-X game or app, then moving to the TV might make more sense and that will give us time to work on getting a new platform done and give Apple time to build an audience that will make it worthwhile to port there in the first place.

Finally, please keep voting up the feature request for this. This will continue to show us the desire to have this platform available.

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/9695550-tvos

I wish there was a magic wand we could wave.

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks for making the point Rob.

I'll admit it's not what I hoped to hear, but at least it's a clear answer for everyone seriously interested on tvOS, and I appreciate the transparency communicating your plans with us.

Sure, we don't know how well this device will sell. We have absolutely no idea what kind of interaction paradigms, type of apps, utilities and games will work better on this platform.

It's an unexplored territory... and that's also why it has a lot of potential, it's a brand new untapped market.

Personally, I'm not that interested in desktop OSes. I think the market is heavily saturated and hard to monetise.

I think tvOS is such a big opportunity I'm willing to bet on it, so I guess... as much as I love coding with Corona, it's time to roll up my sleeves and start porting my new game to Swift.

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

I can only say the same thing as PXL. Not what I hoped to hear, but glad to have a straight forward answer. We will just have to see when it will be available from Corona, and if it takes too long, probably consider another platform for future games designed for tvOS.

redninjacat

redninjacat
  • Contributor

• 196 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thank you Rob! I really appreciate your thorough response! I have a shiny new Apple TV and would love to be able to release an app to it ASAP. At the same time, I totally understand your position on this. That just makes sense. I will take your advice by focusing on a Desktop app and keep an eye on Corona's progress toward tvOS!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,789 posts
  • Enterprise

It's not we had hoped to say either.

But for those dismissing the idea of going to OS-X first, let me discuss it a bit more.

If you were to start today, not knowing Swift, not only do you have to learn a new language, but you also have to master the tvOS SDK. If you've not done native development, there is going to be a significantly larger learning curve than you experienced with Lua/Corona. While Swift is better than Objective C, that's just the language. Learning the SDK is what's really tough.  You also loose the ability to deploy to Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows x86 and OS-X from a single code base.  Your Swift code base will mostly let you build for iOS and tvOS off of a reasonably common code base. Factor the time for you to learn the new system and port your code. On top of this, you're still going to have to adapt new navigation, making your app fit the format and be successful on that platform. You're going to have to code your own controller code to take advantage of the remote control.

Or get your app working on OS-X. The store there is no where near as crowded as the iOS store, though people hunting casual games there are fewer, but they are also willing to pay more for apps. But making money off the store shouldn't be the only goal.  Desktop apps are closer to tvOS formatted apps than phone iPad's are. We already have controller support, so you can adapt your app to use controllers. This will let you adapt your app to focus navigation, working the higher resolution graphics, and so on. You can focus on providing compelling content too.

This gets you spending time now on things you have to do Corona or tvOS SDK instead of having to do all of that and learn/recode in Swift tvOS SDK.

Rob

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Puff!  The way will we harder by now...  or not if you know C++.

Here my notes about investigating about this situation:

Option 1 (for then using director class, you are lucky) 

http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/building-for-the-new-appletv-tvos/23758/7

Sample "Hello Word" code:

https://github.com/hawkwood/cocos2dx-helloWorld-tvOS

The new version of Cocos2D-x a C++ port, have now a lua engine with steel some limits.

A trick from another guy is to use Marmalade Quick C++ engine in order to convert the Corona SDK to C++ (That will not be perfect at 100%, but...) and then continue with Cocos2D-x.

http://nickchops.github.io/QuickEggBreaker/

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

A trick from another guy is to use Marmalade Quick C++ engine in order to convert the Corona SDK to C++ (That will not be perfect at 100%, but...) and then continue with Cocos2D-x.

http://nickchops.github.io/QuickEggBreaker/

Before spending too much time with Marmalade Quick, do some research first. It looks like a really good fit for Corona devs, but a friend of mine was using it for a new game and got to a series of roadblocks. So much that he switched to Corona and is now just about to publish his game. The Lua (Quick) part of Marmalade lags the C++ part, so be wary.

Jay

Prairiewest

Prairiewest
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob.  Part of me is disappointed, however another part is relieved - now I have time to work on a different project before getting back to porting to tvOS. :)

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

I did updated the tvOs on my Apple TV and I need to say that it's very different from the past models, it's much faster, there are just a few games by now, a very sad business opportunity that we lost.

Playing Asphalt 8 it's an incredible experience, a very good platform for games I think.

I do not have the game joystick, using only the remote control, I think, it's not as good talking about the accelerator on precision, it's a little more hard, not than soft than the iPhone.  

noeguer

noeguer
  • Contributor

• 265 posts
  • Corona SDK

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,789 posts
  • Enterprise

The game I'm enjoying is Zombirds.

JBean

JBean
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

Really wish tv OS could be supported sooner. It's always a great opportunity to get in early rather than later in these stores. With the buzz of the the new apple TV and the holidays coming, this would be a great opportunity for Corona devs to publish some nice games on there.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,789 posts
  • Enterprise

Do you have a game that already can be completely played with a controller? Do you have support for 1080p (1920x1080)?

You can be working towards tvOS. You're apps won't port without some work and you can be doing that today by building OS-X desktop apps.

JBean

JBean
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Rob - Not yet, but it's something that can easily be modified with about 2 weeks work. OS-X is great, but having support for tvOS is a must, especially in the beginning stages when the buzz is happening. When is Corona SDK planning on supporting this?

roballison182

roballison182
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

It really is a shame about tvOS support. I understand that it's not a simple job, and Corona's team is a lot smaller than (for example) unity's. I think this situation could maybe have been handled better though. A proper response from corona would have been nice. A roadmap, or anything official.

When your business relies on quick turn around and new technologies come up, you need to take advantage of it. We could have had HoPiKo working on day one, it's the perfect control system for the controller. It just feels like such a wasted opportunity. Same with adding Replaykit.

We're sitting on this game that's getting exposure and Apple themselves are asking us when we're going to add replaykit and put it on tvOS. We can only answer "the framework we use doesn't support it yet". It's a tricky situation. It's embarrassing.

They sent us 3 dev kits to test with and there's nothing we can do with them.

Sorry for the rant.

JBean

JBean
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

I agree with @roballison182. Asking us if our games are ready to port to tvOS is a very unfair assumption. The question should be, what is Corona SDK doing to support tvOS?

There really is no excuse at all on Corona's part. Be transparent about it, and tell us when this will be available instead of avoiding the question by putting it back on us about having our games ready. Most of us can have our games ported in 2 weeks or less with diligent work. But it's completely beside the point, and only distracts from the glaring fact that Corona does not seem to want to or have time to support tvOS at this time.

redninjacat

redninjacat
  • Contributor

• 196 posts
  • Corona SDK

Rob and the rest of the Corona SDK team, I think you are doing a terrific job, at everything, including trying to stay up with the latest market trends. I think that the recently added support for Mac OS X and Windows is huge. Not counting CoronaCards, that's doubling the platform support! To me, Windows is especially huge considering the popularity of Steam and the new Microsoft Surface tablets. (Seriously, have you played with the new Surface 4 yet? It's awesome!)

My understanding is that the Corona team has already committed to finishing Windows and OS X per the community request. They, like many companies in our industry, have limited resources. So, we have at least three options: 1) Wait for Corona SDK to support tvOS. 2) Speed up the process by sponsoring the necessary development. 3) Learn/migrate to another platform. I believe that option 3 leaves you just one legitimate option at the moment: Apple's SDKs. (Not even Unity is ready yet.)

Personally, if I could, I would sponsor this feature. I love Corona SDK that much and believe in the Corona team and community. Alas, I cannot do that, so I am waiting. Fortunately for me, I am still working on a mobile game. Next I will focus on Windows and OS X to get my feet wet using the big screen and new inputs. And by the time I am ready tvOS will likely be supported by Corona. I would love to have tvOS support now, but I can't expect a company with finite resources to shift focus on a whim. tvOS will still be there in 6-9 months and the number of users will be even larger then!

JBean

JBean
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

I would be very willing to sponsor the effort to support tvOS! Just not sure how many others could contribute.

With regards to the timeframe - 6-9 months is a LONG time in the app development world. By that time the tvOS App Store will be overcrowded. It needs to happen sooner than that to be beneficial.

Is there any way to get the sponsorship rolling? How many would be on board for this?

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

My Company could also be willing to co-sponsor tvOS for Corona. Rob, could Corona/Fuse be interested in such a deal, and if so, could you come up with a guesstimate for the cost, and maybe a timeframe. Then we could look to the community for other co-sponsors.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd definitely buy a Corona Card only for tvOs, it's a platform that could grow terrifically and I'm disappointed we can't be among the first to release apps for it.
The game I'm working on would work perfectly on Apple TV. The player can be controlled with swipes and using adaptive resolution it can adjust to any screen size. I guess it works as a desktop game too, but honestly I'm not interested at all in releasing Desktop apps... I just don't see the platform as profitable as iOS/tvOs for small apps/games made with corona.

I've started learning Swift a few weeks back, and while as a language is definitely easier than ObjC, using correctly all the methods/delegates etc of iOS is still pretty hard and nowhere as straightforward as Corona... I'd really want to keep using corona but tvOs is just too appealing to me, more than being able to deploy on multiple platforms since so far, the vast majority of my revenue already comes from iOS.

InfiSnyp

InfiSnyp
  • Corona Geek

• 1,494 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey, so you all you that are wanting tvOS really bad are not in very much luck.. Like Rob said "Well our focus for now is iOS 9, Android 6, OS-X and Windows desktop builds." And so tvOS is pretty much out of the picture for the moment being. I know you devs and I would love to develop the first games for this because you have a much bigger chance of getting our there and getting known but face the fact that it won't happen in the near future. Of course I might be wrong so if corona staff can you please give us a straight down answer so we don't keep guessing around here? And then lock the topic? I'm not trying to be harsh I'm just trying to get a straight answer so we know what's up for the future?

Thanks!!

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

[/topic_controls]