[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

tvOS & Apple TV
Started by PXL artificer Sep 09 2015 05:09 PM

121 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Glitch Games

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

I also have one on the way, still not sure if point and clicks are a good match or not but it'll be fun finding out.

techdojo

techdojo
  • Contributor

• 122 posts
  • Corona SDK

@roballison182 - That sucks, Alone would look stunning on the big screen.  I also had the email from Apple about applying for a dev kit but when I saw the bit about charging a dollar to confirm shipping / billing address, I just assumed that I'd have to pay the full cost (or even higher if they're not off the shelf units) if selected so I bottled it :(

Guess fortune favours the brave :)

It would be great when one of the "lucky few" can actually post if these are actual "dev kits" as opposed to actual "off the shelf" units, if so I guess there'll be a run on cables to connect up devices as soon as the real devices are released.

Hellgourd Studios

Hellgourd Studios
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

"Apple TV Developer Kit

Includes the new Apple TV, Apple TV Remote, Power cord, Lightning to USB Cable, USB-A to USB-C Cable, and documentation."

​That is from the email showing everything included in the box on it's way

michaeloder

michaeloder
  • Observer

• 6 posts
  • Corona SDK

We're pretty psyched about this too. We're already on Amazon Fire TV, OUYA and Android TV, so if there aren't any roadblocks, this should be a simple port.

One question - are MFi gamepad controllers currently supported by Corona? I poked around and didn't see where that was mentioned anywhere. 

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

If apple can sell a lot of these new Apple TV (and usually they're pretty good at it), this new market is going to be huge. I can see myself switching between playing big production value games on PS4 and small indie titles, especially when I have just a few minutes, on an Apple TV. And honestly not just games, but also utility/entertainment apps... There are so many possibilities! I hope after iOS9 Corona will focus on that. On one side I'm slightly optimistic, since tvos has OpenGlES support its possible that creating a layer for the Corona viewport will be enough (of course, not saying it will be easy). At the same time, one thing that makes me worry is that after checking on TvOs documentation, it looks like there's no iAds library available for the platform. I'm wondering if Ads will be allowed at all on TVOS... And since now Corona is a FusePowered company, I can see the low priority of this new platform if ads are not allowed. But, if they open to Ads well it will be a huge opportunity for monetization.

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

As PLX artiicer mentioned, I too fear that Corona – being part of Fuse – will have more focus on platforms offering ads. In my opinion this is a very shortsighted strategy – so maybe they will change the priority. Even if Apple will not offer ads on tvOS, it will be very important platform for Corona to be on, and to be on the platform as soon as possible.

There are two reasons for this.

First of all, in the near future it will be limited what and how many games will be available on tvOS, thus bringing more focus to the games available. If Corona are quick to support tvOS, a lot of Corona games can quickly be made available on the Apple TV, and this will automatically drive more traffic to the iPhone / iPad and even the Android versions of the games. Thus giving more ad revenue to the developers and possible Fuse.

Second of, and maybe the most important reason, if tvOS is not supported by Corona in the near future, and it's uncertain when it will be supported, we as developers will look to other SDK to have one code base, and export to multiple platforms.

Can anybody from Corona comment on this, and maybe reveal something about possible release date for tvOS support?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

As I said above. Right now we are working on iOS 9 support, Android 6 Marshmellow, New public build, OS-X and Win32 Desktop builds.  We know as much about tvOS as you do, just what we've read in tech blogs. We get our dev kit the same time you do. I can't say if or when we will address tvOS because we simply don't know what's involved. We don't have a magical back-door into Apple or Google where we get information any sooner than you do.

The best thing you can do for now is continue to vote up the entry at http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/9695550-tvos

Give us time please.

roballison182

roballison182
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

I REFUSE TO WAIT! MAKE IT WORK NOW!

Just kidding. This is all very exciting! It would be good to maybe keep us all in the loop when work starts :)

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob, I know that you work hard to make a lot of requests happen, and that you are also in the dark regarding features and technical details from Apple and Google, but sometimes Apple and Google invite major players to their inner circle before all us mortal, so I was hoping that you had some more insight than the rest of us.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Sure Rob.

It's early, and we still know very little about the new Apple TV.

I understand you guys have a roadmap to follow, and of course adding new features, no matter how simple, is never an easy task. I can imagine, even under the best of circumstances it will take some time.

However, I hope the fact Ads will not be allowed (at least at launch), will not be seen as a point against porting Corona to the new platform.

I mean, it has a huge change of being a success, opening new channels to reach millions of new users, and it would be a great opportunity for Corona to grow too.

And who knows, if in a year, with Corona already stable on the platform, Apple decides to open to Ads... it's going to be an entire new world to monetize, probably one with the highest value ads ever.

BTW, new Apple TV just got shipped today! Time to learn some Swift!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

I'm not sure where you've seen Ads are not allowed? I know they are not allowed on the shelf, but TV lives on ads.  But regardless, I don't believe that will factor much into our decision to support it or not.

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

It was just a guesswork reading the tvOS documentation Rob.

Currently the iAD framework is not available in tvOS, and since webview is also missing I'm thinking their intention is to keep a very tight control (quality wise) on the apps created, at least at the beginning. 

I also believe they'll open to ads eventually... also, can you imagine putting together Tv Ads + Apple Pay for instant purchase? :)

(btw, Apple TV is arriving today!)

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

Mine will be here tomorrow.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ok, it has just arrived!

https://goo.gl/photos/XL1T5A4eNSsqcPyU9

Unfortunately I won't have enough time to play with it until next week.

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

For those who aren't getting an Apple TV dev kit and want to play around with seeing what kind of experience their game would be on tvOS, here's what another site suggested:

There is no need to wait until the new generation of devices ship. It’s possible to begin preparing your game content for tvOS already now. You can get pretty close to the tvOS experience by connecting an iPhone6+ to an external TV via HDMI cable and pairing it with a wireless MFi certified Game Controller.

Remember, your game must work with the remote that ships with Apple TV, but a MFi controller will at least get you close to that. (Here's one Apple sells - and price is cheaper than on Amazon: iPhone 6+ has the same resolution as an Apple TV.

Of course, we still have to wait until Corona supports tvOS, but this is one way to see how much "tweaking" your game might need when that time comes. :)

Jay

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

Just a heads up. Mine came to day. And we did not get lucky. Corona SDK does not run out of the box, so Engineering will have to get involved.

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Rob, were you trying adding a corona viewport with Corona Enterprise or Cards?
I'm going to do some testing on Monday

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

I'd really rather have Engineering get a chance to look at this before I put out any false speculations. We did not get our office version today, so the engineers have not gotten their hands on it yet.

Rob

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

I did received mine yesterday, apparently the steps to put your actual iOS apps are not so complicated, putting some files and settings, etc.  It's supposed to let you run your actuals iOS apps, with the only limits of the 200MB by now.  I did not finished reading all the docs at apple.  I did spend a lot of time in order to setup the Apple TV.  It's not have any TvOs installed, etc., a lot of time yesterday to getting up and ready.  Today I will continue investigating.

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Not sure if my opinion here would sound crazy, but I think that it's a good moment to package a core/community version of the free part of corona sdk source code and put in some place like github.com, publish as open source and let thousands of coders here get a FAST help NOW in these needs like TvOs, iOS 9, etc.  as other game engine platform does.  It's to much work for you guys for a free version.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 25,925 posts
  • Enterprise

I did received mine yesterday, apparently the steps to put your actual iOS apps are not so complicated, putting some files and settings, etc.  It's supposed to let you run your actuals iOS apps, with the only limits of the 200MB by now.  I did not finished reading all the docs at apple.  I did spend a lot of time in order to setup the Apple TV.  It's not have any TvOs installed, etc., a lot of time yesterday to getting up and ready.  Today I will continue investigating.

tVOS is a different OS than iOS. You cannot run iOS apps directly on tVOS. They have to be compiled against the tvOS SDK. tvOS uses many of the same frameworks as iOS and the same "code" can be ported to tvOS and programmers will be able to use what they know to make tvOS.

Most iOS apps don't make sense to port to AppleTV. Apple has clearly said to think about what makes sense to do what's on a screen in your hand vs. a screen 10 feet away. For instance, you certainly could build a twitter app for Apple TV. Since twitter is in your hands already, you're likely going to have a better experience using their phones. 

Text entry needs to be avoided like the plague. It's an awful user experience and collecting much more than a login and password is going to be bad for users.

The tvOS apps have a navigation that very few iOS apps supports. You swipe to select things and the new target gets bigger and animated and then you tap/click to select and forget any portrait app running and making sense. Many apps will need significant UI changes to work well.

I would highly recommend everyone who's interested in this read the tvOS Human Interface Guidelines:   https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Text entry as it is now, is definitely very very bad. But honestly it feels like something temporary and rushed for the first beta.

I'd be surprised if we see something that bad in the final OS.

Maybe they will re-arrange the letters and maybe add Siri dictation? Anyway, entering text on Apple TV will never be really easy, but I guess will still be much faster.

The style of navigation is quite different from iOS, that's for sure. However, I presume games will have a range of different interactions methods, some following the Apple TV style, other creating new type of UI interactions..

We can actually get the touch events delivered as UITouches (only one finger though), so even creating a cursor on screen is definitely possible (but yes, a "shift to focus" approach is probably preferable, maybe a cursor with some sort of "gravity capture" near buttons?).

I'd love to make a point&click adventure on Apple TV, and it would work very well with the trackpad. 

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd love to make a point&click adventure on Apple TV, and it would work very well with the trackpad. 

As soon as we're able to we wish to port our 5 point and clicks to it, however, we weren't sure how well they'd play with the remote ( or controller for that matter )

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

I was just checking guidelines and forum, and it looks like they strongly encourage to look towards implementing a focus based model instead of just displaying a cursor. 

I think they're not going to reject some kind of games (for example point & click) using cursors, but probably a basic cursor mode (like a mouse cursor) will be hard to use with the remote trackpad.

The best idea is probably to create an enhanced cursor mode that snaps to different interactive focus points on the screen... not too dissimilar to aim-assist for FPS on consoles (slightly slowing down the crosshair movement and snapping when near/over an enemy).

carlos.varela.com

carlos.varela.com
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

In my case, I just use the accelerometer and director class for the menus, no text entry.  I was thinking that this sdk would be ready now, but apparently it's not in the priorities, by sad and bad look.  A couple of years later a steel see companies and people that does not learn that the biggest opportunity that you can have to let your app to be shown, its on a lunch of a mayor hardware device that force all the developer to change the code to a new version.  Like when iPhone 3G was lunched, like when first Android, like when first Windows Phone, like ...  ...Continue?  I am very frustrated about this, I was reading yesterday that Unreal 3D is ready for the TvOs, OMG!  And Corona SDK don't?  I can believed!  

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »

[/topic_controls]