[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

tvOS & Apple TV
Started by PXL artificer Sep 09 2015 05:09 PM

121 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

PXL artificer

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

I know it's very, very early... but I'm so excited about the new Apple TV and tvOS I hope we'll be able to build tvOS apps with CoronaSDK! 

I had hopes for watchOS, but since there's no native opengles api it wasn't possible for Corona to support it... tvOS doesn't look to have this problem, so... crossing my fingers! ;)

Lava Level

Lava Level
  • Contributor

• 274 posts
  • Corona SDK

I am so hoping for this tvOS app bundle as well. Really excited!!!! Would love to release for it by December!

Lava Level

Lava Level
  • Contributor

• 274 posts
  • Corona SDK

Also can we do Android TV atm?  https://www.android.com/tv/

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think you can already build for Android TV... at least, I remember an article on the blog a few months back.

Yep, this one: https://coronalabs.com/blog/2015/01/13/tutorial-creating-android-tv-apps/ 

(but I've not idea how it works)

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,197 posts
  • Enterprise

http://feedback.coronalabs.com

Lets get an entry created and get it voted up!

Rob

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

Voted :-)

I have no idea how well point and click games would work with the controller, but I'd sure like to find out! :-)

GamingStudio17

GamingStudio17
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

Voted, that would be awesome!

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

Voted! I would love to build our existing games, and our upcoming game Chicken Out to the Apple TV. 

I WOULD LOVE IT!

http://chickenoutgame.com

cyberparkstudios

cyberparkstudios
  • Contributor

• 573 posts
  • Corona SDK

Voted for this!

InfiSnyp

InfiSnyp
  • Corona Geek

• 1,494 posts
  • Corona SDK

Although i'm not the biggest fan of apple and their products id really like this also! Hope to see this working soon! VOTED!

Hellgourd Studios

Hellgourd Studios
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

Voted 3 votes for this!

Lava Level

Lava Level
  • Contributor

• 274 posts
  • Corona SDK

People still vote on stuff here in Corona?  Weird... absolutely weird...

anyhow, some of my other friends are bringing up restrictions 

1. They are saying your upload has to be 200mb or less. Which isn't a big deal and actually puts Corona up front as the foot print for most Corona Apps is rather small being a 2d engine and all.

2.  Apple TV is entirely cloud based? You can't really save anything on it, (ie.Documents Directory) so users have to be signed up to the iCloud?

Hellgourd Studios

Hellgourd Studios
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

People still vote on stuff here in Corona?  Weird... absolutely weird...

anyhow, some of my other friends are bringing up restrictions 

1. They are saying your upload has to be 200mb or less. Which isn't a big deal and actually puts Corona up front as the foot print for most Corona Apps is rather small being a 2d engine and all.

2.  Apple TV is entirely cloud based? You can't really save anything on it, (ie.Documents Directory) so users have to be signed up to the iCloud?

Where did you find the 200MB restriction? I am looking through the tvOS docs (what's currently available) now and couldn't find it. Also I couldn't find a final definition on the cloud based end of things either. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots :/

So speculation now... the Wahammer demo they gave at the Apple event has got to be more than 200MB and they have announced it coming to Apple TV. Also, there are 2 models of the new Apple TV, a 32GB and a 64GB which means they will have onboard storage for apps. now as far as documents etc, even if ti is cloud based, so is most of iOS9 so if corona is keeping up (which I have no doubt they are) this shouldn't be an issue. The cloud based data is great for picking up on one device where you left off on another. I mean if you think about it, if you stored your personal game data to the iCloud, you could play while you are out on your iPhone or iPad and make the switch to the TV when you came home without losing your score, lives, etc.

I guess we'll know more next week when they start shipping the developer models out.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Where did you find the 200MB restriction? I am looking through the tvOS docs (what's currently available) now and couldn't find it. Also I couldn't find a final definition on the cloud based end of things either. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots :/

I've found it here (with other interesting infos as well): https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/

Regarding no local storage

There is no persistent local storage for apps on Apple TV. This means that every app developed for the new Apple TV must be able to store data in iCloud and retrieve it in a way that provides a great customer experience.

Regarding 200mb limit

Along with the lack of local storage, the maximum size of an Apple TV app is limited to 200MB. Anything beyond this size needs to be packaged and loaded using on-demand resources.

Basically if it's more than 200MB it needs to be packaged in On-Demand resources (pretty interesting, didn't know about it).

Hellgourd Studios

Hellgourd Studios
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've found it here (with other interesting infos as well): https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/

Regarding no local storage

Regarding 200mb limit

Basically if it's more than 200MB it needs to be packaged in On-Demand resources (pretty interesting, didn't know about it).

Thanks, I'll read up on it tonight and tomorrow. But just with a quick glance, the On-Demand Resources looks like what they are trying to move to in iOS9 as well. More cloud based resources, pre-fetching, and disposal of unused assets. I don't see why this could not be done with Corona.

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

Here's another analysis to understand tvOS a little better (also explains the difference of TVML & custom apps for tvOS): http://www.raywenderlich.com/114313/tvos-initial-impressions

Really hope Corona will be able to support tvOS in the future... otherwise sigh... finally the time to start learning Swift

roballison182

roballison182
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

We would get our games on tvOS straight away if we could. I'm all for this.

Also, I managed to get hold of an android TV dev kit and our latest game works on there perfectly. I'm not sure what other things we'd need to include though to make sure it can go on their store.

techdojo

techdojo
  • Contributor

• 122 posts
  • Corona SDK

Spent my three votes!

I think this could be the biggest thing for Corona in a long long while.  After watching the keynote demo by Hipster Whale - it looks like Unity might already be on the case, I'd hate to see Corona get left behind :)

roballison182

roballison182
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd be interested to hear from the Corona Engineers about this. Is tvOS similar to when iPad support was added, or is it going to be like adding support for PS4/XBONE?

From the looks of things, it seems to use the same stuff. Best case would be the exact same codebase, with some additional assets like icons/default images.

Thanks!

PXL artificer

PXL artificer
  • Contributor

• 312 posts
  • Corona SDK

So, Apple is sending me a new Apple TV dev kit (for free yeyy!) and if you need some help for beta testing let me know corona guys!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,197 posts
  • Enterprise

Well our focus for now is iOS 9, Android 6, OS-X and Windows desktop builds.  Hopefully after that we can look at it and hopefully it will be iOS like enough that we won't have to make many changes to make it work.

Rob

Hellgourd Studios

Hellgourd Studios
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just got my confirmation email on my new Apple TV - So I'm available to beta if need be. The tvOS is supposed to be a modified version os iOS9 so it shouldn't be hard to integrate with Corona (I hope). For gaming this has to be a must as Apple has demonstrated they want end users to be able to switch the game from the iPad/iPhone to the TV almost seamlessly.

roballison182

roballison182
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob! I agree that they should be a higher priority :)

I just got a confirmation from Apple too, but saying we weren't selected to beta on the hardware :D Ah well...

andershjarnaa

andershjarnaa
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

I also got my confirmation e-mail from Apple, so we are ready to test Corona on tvOS - I'm really excited about the new possibilities and have a game in the pipeline that we have been working on for more than a year, that will be perfect for the TV

Thanks Rob, for the insight into Coronas priority regarding new platforms. But I really hope you can bring some more focus on the tvOS, while preparing and testing for iOS 9

How is the work regarding iOS 9 support going anyway, is there a daily build that will be stable on iOS 9 - haven't looked or tested.

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 »

[/topic_controls]