[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Remove all objects
Started by dellagd Mar 05 2011 08:23 AM

- - - - -
59 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

jhocking

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
jhocking
  • Corona Geek

• 1,223 posts
  • Guests

Also, based on the underlining "removeSelf" code, any object listeners associated with the objects in the group, should be removed by the Lua garbage collection since the objects themselves are removed. This means there should be no need to object:removeEventListener for objects in the group.

awesome, this will help with buttons from ui.lua

Months ago I was incorrectly told that removeSelf removes touch event listeners on the removed objects; now that is actually true.
uid: 12108 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29216

MauMau

MauMau
  • Contributor

• 126 posts
  • Corona SDK

We are developing on Windows here using the latest (stable) Windows version of Corona.

As we built an iPhone version of our app using the latest Mac version, we encountered HEAVY frame rate drops in our game each time a level was restarted. Each time the level got restarted, the game got slower and slower, down to 1 FPS on an iPod 4.

It took hours to track down the issue and it turned out that the Mac version does NOT clean Groups recursively (while the Windows version probably does).

After using the custom recursive method found above, the problem was solved.

Please Ansca:

* We don't understand, why recursive cleaning of groups was not implemented from the beginning. This is what EVERY Corona user would expect when using groups.

* If the workaround is so simple (see above), why isn't it implemente yet? I guess there are tons of Corona apps out there now causing memory leaks. This is NOT a good promotion for Corona =( You should really fix this instead forcing us to use any "hacks".

* Please add an explicit warning to the docs, this will save users tons of time.

* ANY user will notice this bug, because creating groups and adding objects to them is what even a basic level user does day by day. So there is no chance to get around this issue.

Therefore, you should really address this issue and give it an ultra high ranking -as fast as possible, because it's simply a bad reputation if Corona apps are causing memory leaks and slow down the device. I don't want to know how many apps are out there now causing exactly this problem.
uid: 9644 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29779

jonbeebe

jonbeebe
  • Contributor

• 511 posts
  • Corona SDK

By latest Mac version do you mean 268 or the latest daily build?

The issue has been fixed in the Daily Builds... but if you ARE using daily builds, then this could be a new issue that is not known.

From what I gather from your post, I'm pretty sure you're using the latest stable though (268).
uid: 7849 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29783

ffm

ffm
  • Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Guests

Hello, so now, with daily build, group:removeSelf() will remove and free all content objects: images, other groups, recursively ?

We not need to iterate group and do removeSelf for each object/group ?

Regards.
Francisco.
uid: 11749 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29809

MauMau

MauMau
  • Contributor

• 126 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, we're using the latest stable and I wouldn't recommend to use the daily builds if you are about to deploy your app. They're good to test new features (regarding this it's a really good idea to provide daily builds), but you never know if those new features are stable enough for an app release yet or if you even get some new issues then. So I hope that recursive cleaning of groups will make it into the next (stable) Mac release as soon as possible.
uid: 9644 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29823

Tom

Tom

• 1,480 posts
  • Corona Staff

@MauMau, the daily builds is a what will be in the upcoming release so the remove Group fix will be in the next release (unless we find problems with the fix).

The Windows SDK is built from the same code base as the Mac version so it will work the same except in areas that are hardware specific (between Mac and Windows hardware).
uid: 7559 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 29831

ricardorauber

ricardorauber
  • Contributor

• 219 posts
  • Corona SDK

Guys,

I need beta testers for the Director 1.3 on the link below:

https://bitbucket.org/ricardorauber/corona/downloads/director_by_ricardo_rauber_1_3.zip

Please send me some feedback.

Thanks!

Ricardo
uid: 8556 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 34201

Skatan

Skatan
  • Contributor

• 547 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ricardo, are we going to be able to add pause-menus and other small screens on top of other screens with 1.3?
uid: 14018 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 34672

ricardorauber

ricardorauber
  • Contributor

• 219 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, there is a popup that shows a scene without cleaning the current one.
uid: 8556 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 34680

Skatan

Skatan
  • Contributor

• 547 posts
  • Corona SDK

That's great stuff!!
uid: 14018 topic_id: 7489 reply_id: 34682

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3