[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Ads on Phone 8
Started by doubleslashdesign Aug 25 2014 08:20 AM

61 replies to this topic
ads for windows 8 phone
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

bubblebobble

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
bubblebobble
  • Contributor

• 309 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Rob, @spacewolf,

hi, I am trying to implement robs solution but come a little unstuck I have never looked at c# ever.

Anyway, would it be possible to create 2 small projects just showing the use each ad type (banner/ interstitials) please?

I am getting unstuck when adding code to the mainpage.cs( should it be mainpage.xaml.cs ?), to be precise where everything goes.

This would be excellent is possible, if not then some formatting and better instructions for non c~ users ? kind of llike a idiots guide :)

thank you for your great work on this

Rob...

Rob...
  • Contributor

• 329 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Bubble. I too had never used c# (well a little with Unity) or Visual Studio.

I looked at the Lua/Interop guide and although it looks very daunting. Once you just copy the code and modify, plus some experimenting of your own, in an hour or so you will understand it. Its easier than it looks so domt be afraid to jump into it. You will really benefit from this. Within a couple of weeks I was making my own classes and incorporating that using what Corona had Joshua had provided and some more experimenting it doesnt take long. There are still some odd bits and pieces that I am getting to grips with mind you. Most of the time you will be using just the xaml and main cs

There are three ways for ads that work so far. Google banner, Windows Banner and Windows Interstitial. The easiest ones to work with are the banners and It really is like drag and drop. You dont need to know about Lua Interop for this unless you want to hide them at runtime

The guides that Windows and Google are really straightforward. If you follow them you cant go wrong. But you must take these steps:

Download the SDK

Get the DLL out and put into your project folder (right click properties of DLL file and "unlock" fist as it cant be used.

Add as reference in VS by right clicking references/add/browse to your sdk

Make sure you check the device capabilities in the manifest  and add whats required by the guide

Now if using Interstertials or any code thats triggered/created by your code you do this:

Add "using" and then the DLL file at top of your main.cs (or whatever CS will be doing the code)

Then copy code into relevant places inside your class bit. Then if you want to trigger this at runtime you want put the code into a new void function and trigger it with Lua Interop - easier than it looks trust me. I would just get it working first though by the guides

IF using banners then these arent created by code normaly so you add them into the designer view as an object. You just either copy the xaml code in including the reference to the SDK (which goes near the Corona one)

Or even easier you can go to the tool box and drag drop the view controller/or ad control (I cant remember depending on Google or WIndows ads) onto your designer view which is the view you see with Corona on a picture of the device. This will automatically add all the info into the xaml where you can edit or add details for the ads. Job done!

I would really read up a bit on whats and where things go in c#. I only know as much as what I need and it took a day or two to get my head around. Its really worth it. If I want to do something in c# I look it up and trigger it with Corona. 

bubblebobble

bubblebobble
  • Contributor

• 309 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Rob,

thanks for the tips.

Obviously working in VS2013, I cant seem to find the adview in the toolbox.

I am following this https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/admob/wp/quick-start

when i try to use the code iam getting undeclard prefix errors for googleads.

Perhaps Iam following the wrong stuff ?

thanks

bubblebobble

bubblebobble
  • Contributor

• 309 posts
  • Corona SDK

ha,

got it, didnt add the xmls:googleads

spacewolf

spacewolf
  • Contributor

• 298 posts
  • Enterprise

Hi guys,

Do you still need some help? I've thought about writing a little guide for setting up ads in wp8...

doubleslashdesign

doubleslashdesign
  • Contributor

• 727 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Spacewolf

that would be great. if you want you can piggy back on my app and document. the PDF is in the zip file, but i can shoot you the Word docx file if you want.

http://www.larrymeadows.me/books/ComposerFrameWorkV3.zip

bubblebobble

bubblebobble
  • Contributor

• 309 posts
  • Corona SDK

@spacewolf,

tis would be very useful, It took me a few hours to get to grips with it.

Just need to sort out interstitials now.

If it could be done without a framework also it would be most helpful. I dont use composer or SB I prefer to take care of stuff myself, but whatever you can offer would be cool.

doubleslashdesign

doubleslashdesign
  • Contributor

• 727 posts
  • Corona SDK

Are interstitial ads full page ads ? so then they are different than the normal windows 8.1 ads?

@Spacewolf

Are you going to do a tutorial on adding interstitial ads?

Larry

spacewolf

spacewolf
  • Contributor

• 298 posts
  • Enterprise

Yeah I will, just haven't found the time yet. Hoping to put something together today :)

spacewolf

spacewolf
  • Contributor

• 298 posts
  • Enterprise

doubleslashdesign

doubleslashdesign
  • Contributor

• 727 posts
  • Corona SDK

wonderful thanks so much.

spacewolf

spacewolf
  • Contributor

• 298 posts
  • Enterprise

I updated the url now because I switched to wordpress. Also polished up the post so its formatted better and more detailed.

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]