Jump to content
No, it's because Visual Express 2013 doesn't support 3rd party extensions.
But in that case the installation docs are incorrect:
Minimum Desktop Operating System Supported for Development:
- Windows 8.1 (Pro version needed for Windows Phone emulator support)
Visual Studio Versions Supported:
- Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone 8
- Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows
- Visual Studio Professional 2013 (...or better)
Windows Phone Operating Systems Supported:
Lerg is correct. Windows Phone 8.0 apps run on 8.1 devices.
When you build for Windows Phone 8.0 in Visual Studio, then it'll create a *.xap file.
When you build for Windows Phone 8.1 in Visual Studio, then it'll create an *.appx file.
They're totally different app binaries. The *.appx file is what Windows 8 Metro and tablets support. Microsoft recently added *.appx support to Windows Phone this year, which is now Microsoft's equivalent to a universal binary. In the past, you had to build your apps completely different for Windows phones and tablets. Corona Labs is supporting *.xap files first because Windows Phone 8.0 is still the dominant version.
Also, I'll dig into why Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows isn't working later.
That's a fairly new version of Visual Studio that has received very little testing on our end. There is probably a specific setting that we're missing in our vsix file to allow it to work.
Our vsix file definitely works with the other 2 Visual Studio versions mentioned in our requirements list.
I guess you are right about the backwards compatibility, BUT it was the first thing I was trying to do - to deploy a 8.0 solution from Visual Express 2012 to the WP8.1 device. There was no option to choose for 8.1 device nor 8.1 emulator. That's why I had to install Visual Studio 2013 trial.
Hmm, so maybe I installed a different version. I actually installed Visual Express 2013 first and then Windows Phone SDK 8.0 for 8.0 support. And so with that SDK 8.0 I got Visual Express 2012 installed automatically as well - this version I tried and it couldn't deploy to 8.1. But maybe I should have updated it first, I don't know. I already removed it to install Visual Studio 2013 trial. Will check it out again.
Well, testing on actual devices is always best.
If your app isn't running, then it's probably using features that are not supported on WP8 yet. If you switch your project's debugger to "Native", then you can see some of the Lua runtime errors that may be occurring. Although I've heard some reports that not all Lua errors are being reported, such as failure to require in a Lua library that's not supported yet. We're still working on improving the error reporting.
To enable native debugging, you'll need to do the following in Visual Studio:
1) Right click on your application project in Visual Studio.
2) Select "Properties" from the popup menu.
3) Select the "Debug" tab on the left.
4) Go to the drop-down box under "Debugger Type\UI Task" and select "Native Only".
5) Run your application in debug mode.
If the entire operating system froze, then you're running into a bug with the operating system. That's only happened to me twice within the past 6 months, but yeah, sometimes it happens when you run the app in debug mode.
I believe you can force your device to reboot by holding down the Power Button and Volume Down buttons for several seconds.
Regarding widgets, we don't have full support for it on WP8 yet, but you can make it work if you copy in our iOS7 skin images into your assets directory. Have a look at my instructions here...
And I've never heard of a WP8 device hanging repeatedly before (as in the entire OS). It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the hardware. Hopefully you were just unlucky.
Community Forum Software by IP.Board