Photo

Chartboost NOT working any longer
Started by thomers May 05 2014 09:09 AM

- - - - -
53 replies to this topic
chartboost ifa
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

thomers

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
thomers
  • Observer

• 16 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi guys,

since I had no installs reported on Chartboost, I contacted their support. This is what I got:

Thanks for the email and for letting us know. I took a look at your App and realized what is going on. Corona no longer allows access to required device identifiers in the free Corona SDK. We were surprised when this happened and this is the reason why you're not seeing converted installs and earnings. My understanding is the a recent update to the Corona build removed the ability to obtain a device IFA.

Until Corona allows access to the Identifier for Advertising, you may want to look into upgrading to corona enterprise and using our native SDK or contact Corona with feedback requesting access to all device identifiers. Another option is to utilize a pre-2169 corona build and resubmit to Apple as those versions should allow you to obtain the IFA. If you'd like, I'm more than happy to test and ensure that converted installs are properly tracked with the pre-2169 build.

Is that right? Would Apple still accept submissions with a pre-2169 build?

Are the "natively supported" ad plugins (like Admob or Vungle) affected as well?

Thanks,

Thomas

walter

walter

• 726 posts
  • Alumni

Natively supported ad plugins are free to use the advertising identifier API, so this is a non-issue for those plugins.

Previously, we had to remove this from the Lua API for practical reasons — namely if a natively written app happens to reference the API and links to the corresponding framework, but never actually uses the API in practice, Apple will reject those apps. They only find it acceptable when used in ads; the developer must also mark certain checkboxes during the app submission process. 

In the longer term, we'd like to bring this functionality back in a plugin, but it's not a high priority for us given that (1) Apple restricts the use of this API for specific situations (i.e. ads) and (2) practically all 3rd party networks (except Chartboost) write native plugins and thus have access to everything they need.

thomers

thomers
  • Observer

• 16 posts
  • Corona SDK

Walter, thanks for the answer.

(2) practically all 3rd party networks (except Chartboost) write native plugins and thus have access to everything they need.

Unfortunately, Chartboost is one of the biggest and best paying ad networks specifically for indie game developers.

And Chartboost is not the only one without a native Corona plugin - Revmob is another. 

It would be really cool if you could get in touch with these guys to solve this ASAP, to keep Corona an attractive platform for indies to monetize their games via ads.

Thanks!

Thomas

RedBeach

RedBeach
  • Corona Geek

• 1,132 posts
  • Corona SDK

I agree. Chartboost was the best option available and I also noticed that I had a drop on the installs. Thanks for posting about it @Thomers.

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

We are looking into making a Chartboost plugin for Corona, using their native sdk.

More info soon.

davebollinger

davebollinger
  • Corona Geek

• 1,347 posts
  • Enterprise

(2) practically all 3rd party networks (except Chartboost) write native plugins and thus have access to everything they need.

I would wish for a better appreciation of, and support for, non-native ad networks. It's really slim pickings out there within the native plugins.

Let's say you're an Android developer, and let's say you have good reasons for avoiding the READ_PHONE_STATE permission, then there's a pretty slim offering of ad networks to choose from. (Fortunately, I don't think this change affects Chartboost on the Android side -- yet, but likely will as of Aug 1)

Revmob is about the only network left that actually works in a developer-friendly way across platforms. Here's some notes I've been trying to keep for myself, and granted they're very hodge-podge, but nearly every provider available has some serious usability flaw upon actual implementation and testing. Provided for public comment..

via ads library:

AdMob - would be great except for performance problems and 'unruly' behavior
iAds - iOS only (android matters to me too)
InMobi - both versions require READ_PHONE_STATE on Android
inner-active - requires READ_PHONE_STATE on Android
Vungle - video-only
CrossInstall - requires READ_PHONE_STATE on Android, 'ugly' interstitials

via plugins:

SponsorPay - sample won't even run on Android, so I've not yet bothered
PlayHaven - can't even download sample, so again, haven't yet bothered
Tap for Tap - undoc'd READ_PHONE_STATE on Android, banners don't position properly on non-320x480

Other third-party listed in forum:

AdBuddiz - no idea even what this is
AppRever - READ_PHONE_STATE, build errors
LunarAds - not really an ad network itself, just mediator, graphics V2 incompatible
Chartboost - still works on Android, no longer works on iOS (& may have display probs on odd-sized content)
RevMob - hey, one that actually works!

via roll-your-own: (given an image url and click url, developer handles the display, those sorts)

appnext - offer wall only
leadbolt - via webview, tho can be tricky to plop the device id into the html before load (needed to track installs)

i've not yet investigated:

appbrain/applift
millenial (and previously jumptap)
adcolony (video only, so unlikely supportable without native plugin)
etc, many others

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

We have completed work on our iOS chartboost plugin and will be launching next week.

In the mean time we are working on the Android version.

Will keep you guys/gals posted.

rebelwax

rebelwax
  • Enthusiast

• 91 posts
  • Enterprise

We have completed work on our iOS chartboost plugin and will be launching next week.

Awesome! Looking forward to this as I've pretty much given up on Revmob.

MochiBits

MochiBits
  • Contributor

• 134 posts
  • Enterprise

FYI.

I have verified that daily build 2162 works with the lua implementation of Chartboost.

https://github.com/ChartBoost/corona-sdk

Our game is live and serving ads.

When I submitted on iTC, I indicated the following:
-- Yes, using IDFA
-- (Checked first box) Serve advertisements within the app
-- (Checked fourth box) Limit ad tracking settings in iOS. I confirm....

RedBeach

RedBeach
  • Corona Geek

• 1,132 posts
  • Corona SDK

But I think the main problem was not to serve the ads but to have the installs correctly tracked.

ingemar

ingemar
  • Corona Geek

• 2,733 posts
  • Enterprise

I suggested to Chartboost last week to put up a notice about this issue since it affects all Corona users publishing for iOS with build 2169 or later. It's quite serious as it will look like everything is OK, but installs will not register since the device's IFA is not available.

Today Chartboost updated their documentation with a notice. Read the update at the top.

This only affects iOS. Android will still work when compiling with the latest versions of Corona SDK.

If you intend to use the Github version of the Chartboost plugin for iOS you must build with Corona version 2014.2162 or earlier.

appdomlabs

appdomlabs
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey Gremlin, 

Any update on this?

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

Hey Gremlin, 

Any update on this?

Yep. We are working on getting this out asap.

The iOS version is finished, and the Android version isn't far behind.

Just trying to get through the red tape.

rebelwax

rebelwax
  • Enthusiast

• 91 posts
  • Enterprise

Hi Gremlin,

Will this work with the starter edition of Corona? Please say yes!! :)

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

I suggested to Chartboost last week to put up a notice about this issue since it affects all Corona users publishing for iOS with build 2169 or later. It's quite serious as it will look like everything is OK, but installs will not register since the device's IFA is not available.

Today Chartboost updated their documentation with a notice. Read the update at the top.

This only affects iOS. Android will still work when compiling with the latest versions of Corona SDK.

If you intend to use the Github version of the Chartboost plugin for iOS you must build with Corona version 2014.2162 or earlier.

Thanks a lot @ingemar for this info. I also noticed that you said this only affect ios but on android I am missing the top banner and close button when using Chartboost More apps? Is this just me or something there changed to on 5/16?

Cheers.

Mo

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

Hi Gremlin,

Will this work with the starter edition of Corona? Please say yes!! :)

As far as I know (right now) it should yeah.

Should have more info (and hopefully a release) by the end of this coming week. I apologise for the delay, just have some things to sort out before we can get it out of the door.

We are using the official Chartboost native SDK, so this will get rid of the IDFA problems, and also offer a more streamlined Lua api.

Appreciate you patience. This is definitely being released though, so don't worry :)

Edit: this plugin is only available for Corona basic and up subscriptions

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

Gremlin! That's a great news! By the way, do you have a link to your current ios plugin?

Mo

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

Gremlin! That's a great news! By the way, do you have a link to your current ios plugin?

Mo

Hey Mo. It isn't available or released yet. Sorry if my previous message was confusing in any way.

Basically we are hoping to get this out/released by the end of the coming week. Red tape stuff ;)

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

Cool!  NP, Thank you.

Mo

AdBuddiz

AdBuddiz
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Enterprise

I would wish for a better appreciation of, and support for, non-native ad networks. It's really slim pickings out there within the native plugins.

Let's say you're an Android developer, and let's say you have good reasons for avoiding the READ_PHONE_STATE permission, then there's a pretty slim offering of ad networks to choose from. (Fortunately, I don't think this change affects Chartboost on the Android side -- yet, but likely will as of Aug 1)

Revmob is about the only network left that actually works in a developer-friendly way across platforms. Here's some notes I've been trying to keep for myself, and granted they're very hodge-podge, but nearly every provider available has some serious usability flaw upon actual implementation and testing. Provided for public comment..

via ads library:

AdMob - would be great except for performance problems and 'unruly' behavior
iAds - iOS only (android matters to me too)
InMobi - both versions require READ_PHONE_STATE on Android
inner-active - requires READ_PHONE_STATE on Android
Vungle - video-only
CrossInstall - requires READ_PHONE_STATE on Android, 'ugly' interstitials

via plugins:

SponsorPay - sample won't even run on Android, so I've not yet bothered
PlayHaven - can't even download sample, so again, haven't yet bothered
Tap for Tap - undoc'd READ_PHONE_STATE on Android, banners don't position properly on non-320x480

Other third-party listed in forum:

AdBuddiz - no idea even what this is
AppRever - READ_PHONE_STATE, build errors
LunarAds - not really an ad network itself, just mediator, graphics V2 incompatible
Chartboost - still works on Android, no longer works on iOS (& may have display probs on odd-sized content)
RevMob - hey, one that actually works!

via roll-your-own: (given an image url and click url, developer handles the display, those sorts)

appnext - offer wall only
leadbolt - via webview, tho can be tricky to plop the device id into the html before load (needed to track installs)

i've not yet investigated:

appbrain/applift
millenial (and previously jumptap)
adcolony (video only, so unlikely supportable without native plugin)
etc, many others

Hello dave, 
I know we have already been in contact but I came across your post and I was thinking that it might be interesting to give a little bit more insights about AdBuddiz since some other developers following this thread might not know who we are. 

We specialize in displaying full screen premium ads in mobile apps and specifically games. 
The company has been built by former game studio employees so we are all game lovers and we were tired of ads that look awful and that take so much time to integrate. Therefore, our goal has been to create a clean-cut solution that really respects the users and is non intrusive with beautiful graphics. And of course, we built a team whose goal is to generate the highest revenues for our publishers.

The solution is available on both android and iOS (we have one team dedicated to each platform so that we can maximize the revenues of both). And obviously, we now have a Corona plugin  :)

Our team is more than ready to answer any questions that any of you may have.  

rebelwax

rebelwax
  • Enthusiast

• 91 posts
  • Enterprise

Hi Gremlin. Any update on the Chartboost plugin?

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

Hey guys, sorry for the delay on this, it was out of our control.

We will be releasing the chartboost plugin at the end of this week, or the beginning of next week at latest.

The iOS version is done, the red tape has been cut, and we are ready to rock and roll :)

Fernker

Fernker
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just want to be clear on one thing Gremlin.  Is this an official plugin from Chartboost (like do you work for them) or is more of an unofficial plugin?  Just curious.  Thanks for the work on this. 

Gremlin Interactive

Gremlin Interactive
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Enterprise

I just want to be clear on one thing Gremlin.  Is this an official plugin from Chartboost (like do you work for them) or is more of an unofficial plugin?  Just curious.  Thanks for the work on this. 

We don't work for Chartboost, but they have given us their approval of the plugin and will be endorsing it on their website, if that gives you more assurance ;)

We are using Chartboost's official native SDK's in our plugins also.

Fernker

Fernker
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

This is great news.  Their current plugin has been open source and has suffered from lack of development on it.  

I happily await the new plugin. 

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]