[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Can we tidy up all of the provisioning profiles show on the build screen?
Started by AlanPlantPot Nov 07 2013 06:27 AM

- - - - -
23 replies to this topic
build ios provisioning profile
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

AlanPlantPot

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
AlanPlantPot
  • Contributor

• 733 posts
  • Corona SDK

Provisioning profiles have always been a pain in the rear, but I've found that recently they've been even more so. It must've been the last Xcode update (which annoyingly moved the provisioning profiles into the preferences men for some reason). It also decided that in the past when I deleted profiles that I no longer use from my local machine, I was mistaken, and so it added them all back in. I don't see any way to delete them manually, only deleting the whole account that's linked to them, which I don't want to do.

I could live with having a billion profiles show up, but Corona doesn't display them in any kind of logical order. I've lost count of the number of times I've been able to find my myApp_Dev and myApp_Adhoc profiles at opposite ends of the list, and then have to hunt down the myApp_AppStore profile from somewhere in the middle.

Is it possible we could have them displayed alphabetically?

Or is there something I can do to make them tidier?

cspence

cspence
  • Contributor

• 338 posts
  • Enterprise

scott0

scott0
  • Enthusiast

• 79 posts
  • Corona SDK

+1 for this

sk studios llp

sk studios llp
  • Observer

• 8 posts
  • Corona SDK

mazrabul

mazrabul
  • Enthusiast

• 61 posts
  • Corona SDK

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

This is a bother, I know, but one way to "start fresh" is to do this (I'm not suggesting that everybody do this, but if you know what you're doing and don't mind "starting over", this method worked for me):

1) Go to your folder on your local machine: ~/library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles (you may need to use the "Menu > Go > Go to Folder…" command to access "~/library" since Apple doesn't make that folder easily accessible since perhaps OSX 10.7).

2) Optionally trash all profiles within… this is a somewhat severe move, so again, I'm only suggesting this as an option for those who want to "start over". That being said, removing these doesn't actually "nuke" them forever, since you can re-download and re-generate them from the Apple Dev Center.

3) Log into the Apple Dev Center and access the "Provisioning Profiles" section. Delete the ones that you don't want anymore, or just delete all of them and re-create new ones for the provisioning types/permissions you need. Which step you take is entirely up to you, and I will not be held responsible if you remove things in here that you shouldn't. :)

4) If you removed all of the profiles in Step #2, you'll need to re-download the ones you want to use again. This can be done by clicking a profile (from the list in the Apple Dev Center list), clicking "Download", and the double-clicking on the file that is downloaded (presumably to your Desktop, but could be elsewhere depending on your browser settings).

5) Back in the "MobileDevice > Provisioning Profile" folder in the Finder, you should see new files generated for those that you re-generate.

6) In Xcode, go to: Preferences. Click on the "Accounts" button on the top bar. Select your Apple user account, and look for a button in the lower-right called "View Details". This should bring up a sub-menu. At the lower-left of that menu, there should be a little "refresh" button that looks like a recycle arrow. Click this, and Xcode should refresh the list of provisioning profiles.

7) Now, quit the Corona Simulator and restart it. Under the "Build" menu, your list of profiles to select should match the list that you just cleaned up.

That's it! I realize that they're still not in any specific order (something we could improve on), but at least the list doesn't have age-old profiles in there which are dead, dysfunctional, or whatever.

Again, use this method at your own risk, and only if you know what you're doing. I can't be held responsible if you mess up your provisioning profiles thing in Apple's system.

Brent

AlanPlantPot

AlanPlantPot
  • Contributor

• 733 posts
  • Corona SDK

As I mentioned in my first post, I wouldn't mind old profiles being in there if they were in alphabetical order. We do a lot of work for clients which means I have about 50 profiles that I still need to use on an ongoing basis (albeit some less frequently than others).  

While it would be nice to clean away the old ones, it would be much more useful to be able to simple find a profile because it's in a logical place.

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

FYI, using the iPhone Configuration Utility, you can easily see and delete individual profiles on your machine (the functionality that was removed in the latest version of Xcode).  I agree alphabetical ordering in the Corona build window would be nice, but at least there is a way to fairly easily manually delete the old ones.

- Andrew

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

andreas2

andreas2
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Corona SDK

Alphabetical order would be nice, but what I really want is a way to tell same profiles apart.

If I go to Itunes and add another device for example, to an existing profile. This provision profile will be a duplicate in Corona and I can't tell the 2 profiles apart. So, in the dropdown list I would like to have the profile identifier (looks like this: 777ECE75-A7AE-461E-B143-13AEB123456X).

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

We're exploring options on this front, and will probably go with alphabetical + inactive ones "greyed out". I know everybody would like a perfectly custom way according to their needs/desires, but we'll have to choose a "satisfy most people" option and go with that.

Thanks,

Brent

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Alphabetical would be a HUGE improvement over what we have now. Can't wait to see it! :)

Jay

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

Can't wait to see it! :)

Jay

Don't have to wait! 2014.2174 released today makes the list alphabetical!!! Looks great. Thanks Corona Labs.

cditto

cditto
  • Observer

• 22 posts
  • Corona SDK

Brent, thanks for the instructions on how to nuke all the old provisions (before reinstalling the latest). It solved my issue.

My issue was that I was creating a new provision every time I add a device to my Ad Hoc list, which means a million of these things appearing in the Corona Code Signing Identity dropdown and no way to tell which one is the latest desired one. Nuking the old ones each time and reinstalling was the solution. My Corona Code Signing Identity dropdown is now nice and short.

dgaedcke

dgaedcke
  • Contributor

• 264 posts
  • Corona SDK

I deleted all my old ones in member center and then signed out.  When I click refresh in xCode, it keeps re-installing them (those that were marked "Managed by xCode").  I first thought it was because my IOS device was connected but even after disconnecting, xCode kept putting the deleted ones back.  Apple's instructions say to remove automatic management from your "xCode Project" but since I don't have one, I'm not sure where to find this config.  Somewhat frustrating....

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,393 posts
  • Enterprise

You might want to go to your ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles folder and remove them from there.

dgaedcke

dgaedcke
  • Contributor

• 264 posts
  • Corona SDK

Unless I'm totally dreaming, that's exactly what I did....twice....as in the instructions above.
xCode 5.1.1 is putting them back there AFTER I've deleted them BOTH from that folder, AND from member center....

That's my whole issue....I'm not sure where it's getting them

Thx

D

jflowers45

jflowers45
  • Contributor

• 320 posts
  • Enterprise

dgaedcke, 

From my observation, as long as an appID exists it looks like xCode will continue to create a profiles for it if one doesn't exist

Alan PlantPot

Alan PlantPot
  • Contributor

• 923 posts
  • Corona SDK

This is an old post now, and I know that Corona did make it list the iOS provisioning profiles in alphabetical order (thanks guys), but would it be possible to do the same for Android keystores?

Also, is there a way to remove keystores that Corona has 'remembered' in its dropdown list? I have some keystores which I have moved from the location that Corona first used them in. When I next tried to use them I got an error "no keystore found here" or something like that. So I browsed to the new location and selected the keystore again and that worked fine. But Corona still shows the old keystore, even though it should know that it no longer exists, because it told me so. So now I have "myKeystore" twice in the list, one of which doesn't really exist.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,393 posts
  • Enterprise

You can put in a feature request for this at Until we get iOS 8 issues out the door we probably won't have time to look at this, but it sounds like a noble cause.

Rob

Alan PlantPot

Alan PlantPot
  • Contributor

• 923 posts
  • Corona SDK

Feature request submitted:  

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/6498068-sort-android-keystores-alphabetically-in-simulator

If anyone else would like to have this fixed too then please vote :-)

@Rob Miracle  

In the meantime, do you know how to remove "dead" keystores from the dropdown list in the simulator's build window? I can't see a way to do it, and had a snoop through the application support folder trying to find a reference to them but had no luck (on a mac if that makes a difference).

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,393 posts
  • Enterprise

I think Engineering is working on this.

Rob

Alan PlantPot

Alan PlantPot
  • Contributor

• 923 posts
  • Corona SDK

Looks as though it's done as of today's build (2451).  

Thanks guys, it makes a world of difference  :)

Perry Clarke

Perry Clarke

• 850 posts
  • Corona Staff

Let me know if we missed anything.

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]