[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Business Sample App Discussion
Started by DavidRangel Oct 08 2013 01:10 PM

- - - - -
110 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

dweezil

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
dweezil
  • Contributor

• 568 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Rob. So when will the the iOS7 theme be fuly supported in the public free release?

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

What ever support with have for iOS 7 in the daily builds when we make the next public build will make it into that public build.  I suppose the real question here is When will there be a new daily build? and... I can't answer that because we don't know.  We have to get the new Graphics 2.0 engine stable and it just went into public beta this week. 

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

While I know not everything you would like is there yet, I do know it's possible to do a very good business app with Corona.

I'll see if we can add some text entry fields to this sample app as well.

Widgets 2.0 has yet to settle as a mature and robust platform from which we can build dependable apps. It works as long as you know what's broken and either avoid or work around it. We desperately need the existing and growing bug list issues resolved. Graphics 2.0 might be full of promise for the gaming world and I do know it will improve the widgets in certain areas too (ie dynamic masking...) but I am really worried about all the new bugs it will add to the already sizable widgets 2.0 list.

Great sample app but yes, please add text entry and also search function while you're at it. Search is a very common need for a business app and the fact that there is an unfinished search widget in. GitHub tells me this is something you are aware too. Please consider getting this widget completed and available. Thank you very much.

Richard17

Richard17
  • Enthusiast

• 89 posts
  • Corona SDK

Perhaps it might be a good idea if they stopped adding any new features until they make sure that what is there works as it should. 

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

Perhaps it might be a good idea if they stopped adding any new features until they make sure that what is there works as it should. 

I agree. Like graphics 2.0 right? ;-)

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

There has to be a balance between features and bug fixes and improvements.  Corona SDK is used by a wide variety of programmers and shops looking to do a wide variety of things.  It would be really impractical to stop everything and spend all of our energy in one area.  It's amazing that we get as much done as we do for a shop our size. 

Things also depend on each other.  You want auto-masking widgets? Need graphics 2.0 for that.  Want your picket wheel to look like its fading off into the distance?  G2.0 needed. 

Since we open-sourced the widget library, you are more than welcome to add features that you need, or change the behavior if our current behavior doesn't fit your needs.    And of course if you add something useful that the community could benefit from, you're welcome to submit those features back to us for review and possible inclusion in the project.

Rob

tbaker0000

tbaker0000
  • Observer

• 25 posts
  • Corona SDK

Can you open source the ability to have a status bar on android 3+? I would really like to just have that...

piotrz55

piotrz55
  • Contributor

• 754 posts
  • Corona SDK

Android's status bar was always available.

tbaker0000

tbaker0000
  • Observer

• 25 posts
  • Corona SDK

hmm, i guess they should update the docs (and the code): 

From the docs: While Android 2.x devices are supported, Android 3.x devices do not support status bar.

piotrz55

piotrz55
  • Contributor

• 754 posts
  • Corona SDK

What link are you reading?

piotrz55

piotrz55
  • Contributor

• 754 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ah, I see what you might have missinterpreted. What it means that status bar is unsupported is that modification of bar is not supported (dark, translucent). But you can show and hide bar freely on android.

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

There has to be a balance between features and bug fixes and improvements.  Corona SDK is used by a wide variety of programmers and shops looking to do a wide variety of things.  It would be really impractical to stop everything and spend all of our energy in one area.  It's amazing that we get as much done as we do for a shop our size. 

Things also depend on each other.  You want auto-masking widgets? Need graphics 2.0 for that.  Want your picket wheel to look like its fading off into the distance?  G2.0 needed. 

Since we open-sourced the widget library, you are more than welcome to add features that you need, or change the behavior if our current behavior doesn't fit your needs.    And of course if you add something useful that the community could benefit from, you're welcome to submit those features back to us for review and possible inclusion in the project.

Rob

Rob, 

That balance between bug fixes and new features is indeed what we have been seeking. As far as I can tell, most if not all energy is going into the new features and specifically G2 right now. I can see how this is seen as a revenue and growth generator for CL especially given its promise in the gaming world. I don't have the numbers of course but I can imagine 90%+ of CL users are game developers and hence the focus. This is the reality. Business app developers and widgets etc are always going to be second fiddle... 

Regarding your question, yes auto-masking in widgets and fading off picker-wheel would be lovely but picker-wheel working as it should, returning values picked would be even nicer. Have you seen the Widgets sub-forum lately? There are so many fundamental issues we are having to fight and work around its not even funny anymore. I don't really care for the polish G2 will bring to the table at the moment. I am very very concerned about all the new bugs it will introduce to an already very shaky widget foundation.

No reply needed. I hope to see a response in the form of a long awaited and promised bulk update to the Widget library. 

Regards,

Kerem

tbaker0000

tbaker0000
  • Observer

• 25 posts
  • Corona SDK

@piotrz5, thank you for setting me straight on this. I assumed that since the new business app didn't show the statusbar on my android and after seeing the docs, it wasn't possible. I sent them a message so they can fix it (or make it less confusing).

jocala4

jocala4
  • Observer

• 5 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm following this with interest. My needs are generic:

1. Data entry into screen form, save to database.

2. Retrieve record for edit/delete/computation/etc

3. Listbox of all records

So there above you have a todo list, address book, golf score keeper,etc,etc.

WarrenW

WarrenW
  • Contributor

• 830 posts
  • Corona SDK

Jocala4,

You should be able to do this now. Use the SQLite for your database and the rest you can code in to do.

Warren

jocala4

jocala4
  • Observer

• 5 posts
  • Corona SDK

Jocala4,

You should be able to do this now. Use the SQLite for your database and the rest you can code in to do.

Warren

Hi Warren, 

I was talking about adding features to the sample business app. I think for the sample business app to be useful it needs to be able to:

1. Data entry into screen form, save to database.

2. Retrieve record for edit/delete/computation/etc

3. Listbox of all records

Its been called CRUD (create,Retrieve,Update,Delete). 

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

We appreciate these suggestions and at some point, we may add these features.  The idea behind the business sample app was to not show everything that is possible nor really even provide a complete template for this.  It's more of a demo than anything.  Maybe we should consider a second CRUD example, with a more practical SQL database engine. 

Many people perceive Corona SDK as a game engine and not practical for other types of apps and while we will be the first to admit, we don't have every desired feature at every desired level (have you seen the complexity of the iOS SDK?), there is still a lot that can be done.

Let me talk it over with the folks in the office.  Once we get under this crush of projects we have now, I really like the idea about revisiting this with a different set of features.    One thing I would love to be able to do is to include some sample for fetching REST data, but one of the things I ran into was what data do I use.  Any suggestions in that area might be helpful too.  Perhaps a screen with a tableView populated from a local SQLlite database and another tableView populated from a RESTful web source.

Please keep these suggestions coming.

jocala4

jocala4
  • Observer

• 5 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

mandre86

mandre86
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi, i have a question: in the xml.lua is possible to get a specific tag attribute value??Thanks

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

I didn't write the XML code and it's been a long time since I looked at it, but if it gets attributes, they would be in the table that it returns.  I'm likely ignoring anything I didn't need for the RSS side.  Looking at the RSS code and how it uses the table returned by XML, it looks to me like that each entry in the table is another table in this format:

xmldata[1].name -- the tag name

xmldata[1].value -- the data between the <name>  and </name> tags

xmldata[1].properties -- I think this is another table of key-value pairs that would have each attribute key and value

so it appears that xml.lua is getting those attributes for you.

Rob

genkito

genkito
  • Observer

• 7 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have been trying to implement a map market event listener. I have managed to make it work on iOS. But, on Android, the listener did not appear to ever be called on pin tap.

So, wanting to make sure I was not doing something wrong, I downloaded this sample business app, built it, put it on my phone. I then went to the map tab and tapped a pin, then looked at the logcat of the phone. It would display some print statements that I had put in, such as upon entering the scene so I knew it was logging correctly. But, no print statement from the event listener function (there are already 4 pre-built with this sample app) was ever displayed. Additionally, the pin icons were not changed as they should be, they were plain old pin icons. Thus, I think something might be wrong with my building of the app. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you so much for your time.

mandre86

mandre86
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

Mmmm there is one thing that i don't understand: the initial effect of the screen splash that zomming until to the full screen size.... how can i change it ??

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

@gmarshall, I'm working on making it G2.0 compatible and I'll test the map markers on my Google Nexus 7 later on and see if I can reproduce what you're seeing.

@mandre86, this is an illusion created by the simulator.  The simulator tries to simulate the iOS device feature of showing the Default.png file before the app loads.  It however does not take into consideration iOS tall devices.  Then on the Android side, Android doesn't support Default.png loading images at all.  This is a feature we added because people wanted it.  So we have two scenerios:

1.  You're on the simulator with a non 2:3 ratio screen (iPad, iPhone 5, Android device) in which case it loads Default.png which is a 2:3 ratio image (as Apple expects it to be) and show's it stretched to fit, then the app comes up and draws it's real splash screen (with the words "Business Sample App" on it) which is in the right aspect ratio for the skin.

2. You're running it on an Android device and it's picking up the 2:3 ratio Default.png. 

I guess I should just get rid of the Default.png and leave a blank black Default-568h@2x.png image for iOS use.

Rob

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,081 posts
  • Enterprise

I just tested it on my Nexus 7 and the pin points touch just fine.  I get a call out with the information. It worked as I expect it to.

Rob

genkito

genkito
  • Observer

• 7 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hmm, alright. Well, thanks for checking it. If I find any new information that helps solve this problem I will post here, but otherwise hopefully the knowledge that it should work will help me find the solution. Thanks.

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »

[/topic_controls]