[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

App has "encountered a lua error or been corrupted" on Android
Started by keystagefun Aug 01 2013 02:08 AM

- - - - -
50 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

henrik5

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
henrik5
  • Contributor

• 251 posts
  • Corona SDK

Be happy to test on mine, amount of info back depends on how easy it is to set up logging. :) (I already have logging working in Eclipse though, will it appear there?)

Note that the Sony phones come with the Sony-modified Android OS on it. The most major difference is the app switcher in the lower right corner.

Mine is AOS 4.1.2 (the version it shipped with).

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

To speed up this process, we just ordered an Xperia Z outright. I'm not sure when we'll get to the actual testing after the device arrives.

In the meantime, you should request the crash report from Google Play. It may provide clues as to what went wrong. Something like a Java exception stack trace. Please do this so we can have something more to base the tests off, when the device arrives.

Thanks,

Brent

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brent,

When you say "request the crash report from google play" do you mean something different than the "Crashes & ANRs" reports in the Google Play developer console?  If we are talking about Crashes & ANRs, I have none at all for the current release(corona build 1177) of our app so no clues there. 

-Dave

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Dave,

You're in the correct place (Crashes & ANRs). If the app was purchased from Google Play, then the Android device is supposed to send a crash report to the Google Play Developer Console. If nothing is getting reported, then perhaps the app is not really crashing? Or perhaps Google Play no longer thinks the app was purchased from the store (failed validation)?

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

I too am seeing no crash reports in Google for these devices but have had reports from users that this is happening. To be fair I get virtually no crash reports in Google for any of my apps but have received e-mails from customers in the past on various issues with Android so I'm not sure how well Google's crash reporting actually works.

Thanks for ordering a device - be interested to see what it turns up.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Dave, Ian,

We received the "Xperia Z" and tested two of our sample apps ("ActivityIndicator" and "Bullet"). Both of them work normally, both before and after an OS update (no crashes whatsoever).

At this point, about all we can do is request that you compile a basic, easy-to-reproduce test case and submit it to us. We can check if this functions on our XPeria Z or not.

Thanks,

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brent - thanks for this. Okay - well according to my customers the app crashes as soon as the icon is tapped so the most realistic test case I can submit is simply to send you the most recent APK for the app. How would you prefer to receive this? Should I do it via the "report a bug" section of the site? Thanks, Ian.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian,

How large is the APK? If it's like 50+ MB, better that you zip it up and send it to me via e-mail...

Thanks,

Brent

henrik5

henrik5
  • Contributor

• 251 posts
  • Corona SDK

Tested the Corona 1177 build version on my Xperia Z OS 4.1.2 and it works fine navigating to misc. knots and watching the animation clips. 

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Henrik, Thanks so much for testing.   I'm not sure if I'm glad it worked for you or not.  It kind of muddies the water a bit! :)

Brent,  the app is large at 40MB,  I can give you a url to download the apk from.   I'd rather not post it here since it is a paid app.  How do I go about emailing you the information? What email address should I use?

Thanks,

Dave

henrik5

henrik5
  • Contributor

• 251 posts
  • Corona SDK

No problem Dave - btw, I just upgraded to 4.2.2 without reinstalling the app, and it worked fine.

The installation process told me that it was optimizing my 88 apps. It also said it updated the Media database. Now, that worked for me without a hitch, but presumably something could have gone wrong during the updating process for the customers who have problems. But that would presumably have been righted when reinstalling the 1177 build app, which I assume is the first thing they tried. So.

Either way, the problem doesn't seem related to Corona SDK build or OS version.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Dave, Ian,

If you have download links for these APK(s), please send it to me at brent [at] coronalabs [dot] com.

Thanks,

Brent

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Dave, Ian,

We tested the APK (Knots3D) on our in-house Xperia Z running 4.2.2. There was no crash whatsoever. We ran it multiple times with power suspend, home, and exit; it all works fine. Our assumption is the crash "may happen" on startup.

So at this time, we must consider the case closed, since we can't reproduce the crash using your actual APK on the same device with the same OS and version. Also, as you reported, there are no ANR reports coming into Google Play Developer Console. Unfortunately, I have no clear idea what is causing the crash reports from your customers... perhaps some customization/hack they did to their phones.

If I'm missing some key aspect here in the test report, please let me know a.s.a.p.

Best regards,

Brent

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

We are getting this issue reported with both Forever Lost 1 & 2, I actually can't remember what build# we used for them but it's been a month or two since we released an update so it was a change a while ago. Are you able to download the game directly from Google Play or should we send you a build? Again, not sure what build# we used though.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Graham/Simon,

Can you send us a new build using #1137? I think this is the best way to test it... I believe you have my e-mail address.

Thanks,

Brent

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,409 posts
  • Enterprise

I hate to float the stupid question of the day.  I don't know what all carriers carry this phone, but could we be running into a carrier specific bug?  They do like to instal their own stuff, make their own OS tweaks, and delay updates until they make sure the updates work with their own stuff.

Just because we have one to test, doesn't mean we have the exact environment the others have.  Could we be hitting a memory limit?  It would be nice if we could learn more about the carrier's and OS versions too.

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

I can't make a build right now as I'm not in the office, should be able to soon. For now this is some info from one of our users with an xperia z:

Sony Xperia Z, model no C6603

Android 4.2.2 (core version 3.4.0-g3865184) build no 10.3.1.A.0.244

Uses "Telenor N" as carrier. Norway.

If there is any more info you require please ask. I will see if anyone else can get us some info as well.

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Brent,

I have e-mailed you my APK. Sorry for the delay - I've been away for a few days.

Looks like a fair few people are having this issue but appreciate if the apps are running fine on the device for you it's tough to work this one out.

Would you be able to test mine too?

Thanks,

Ian

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian,

The APK you sent was apparently not the correct one (file size was too small for a Corona app). I e-mailed you separately about this.

Thanks,

Brent

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

Build sent, thanks!

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

I've just had another Xperia Z user with this issue.  I think that is 6 reported cases so far for Knots 3D.  I have gone back and emailed all 6 requesting additional information e.g. country, carrier, android version, exact Xperia Z model number (Xperia C6603, Xperia C6602, Xperia Z LTE, Xperia Z HSPA+).  I don't know if I will receive any responses since all of the emails are non-English(Spanish, Italian, German and Chinese)  and there may be a language barrier to overcome, even with Google Translate.

Brent, Any update on Ian's or Glitch Game's apks on your Xperia Z device?

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi guys,

I submitted both .apk files to the engineers. We cannot reproduce the crash on our in-house Xperia Z... both projects run exactly as expected, and load normally.

At this point, the issue is more "muddy" than ever. The reports seem to be coming from Europe and perhaps China. Do you have any reports from U.S. or Canadian users? I wonder if this is a carrier-specific issue...

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks for all your help with this Brent.

My users are all UK based and I'm waiting to hear on carrier.

Glitch Games

Glitch Games
  • Contributor

• 597 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just had another user report the issue, this is the info for their phone: The OS Version of the phone is 4.2.2 Country is Germany. Carrier : O2 Model number of the phone : c660 Chipset of the phone : Qualcomm MDM9215M / APQ8064 GPU: adreno 320

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all,

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

I've just had another user report it on the Google Nexus 7 but - and this is the interesting bit - only on a restricted profile he set up for his daughter.

So the app runs fine on his profile, but not on his daughter's restricted profile, where he gets the Lua error as soon as the app launches.

My app allows the recording of audio so I'm wondering if the restricted profile blocks access to the mic and that's what's happening here although that wouldn't explain any of the other instances of this... hmmmm.

Cheers,

Ian

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]