[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

App has "encountered a lua error or been corrupted" on Android
Started by keystagefun Aug 01 2013 02:08 AM

- - - - -
50 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

keystagefun

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

I've already seen several threads that cover this and I've checked case sensitivity (no problems there) and the other suggestions.

The issue is - I can't recreate this error but a customer has written to me saying they're getting this message on a Sony Xperia device running Android.

I've tested across multiple devices with no problems, including an older Xperia model that I have.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Thanks,

Ian

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just to update - I've had a second customer get in touch now with the exact same issue. Both are using the same device - the Sony Xperia Z - and the second one had the app working fine until yesterday when it just stopped working and displayed this error.

The default png doesn't even display - the error literally occurs after pressing the icon to launch the app, and as far as I can tell only on this device.

Is there a chance the device itself is causing the issue because of a software update? Just seems weird that it suddenly stopped working. Neither customer has updated the app prior to the error occurring.

It's going to cost £400 for me to buy the device which I could really do without but obviously if that's the only way to figure it out I'll have to I guess. It's a popular device so not sure I can just not support it.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Life is so much easier with iOS.

Cheers,

Ian

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

I should also add that if anyone has a Sony Xperia Z and would be prepared to run my APK and send me the log files I'll happily pay a small fee for their time.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian,

Can you be more specific about the "update" you're talking about? An update to the version of Android on the devices? Or an update to which Corona build you're using to build the apk?

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brent,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry - I meant could an update the Sony Experia Z had to its OS have caused this problem? I know different devices can run their own version of Android so I'm wondering if this device is running a slightly altered version.

The issue does seem to be specific to this particular device and occurs before even the default png has had a chance to display. In my mind that would suggest an issue being found when loading the build.settings file but I can't find an error in that.

I don't have one of these devices to test on unfortunately and I'm going to bankrupt myself if I have to buy every Android device out there!

Have you heard from anyone else with the same issue - is there anyone there at Corona with one of these devices? Might be worth looking into as I can't find an issue in my code and the app functions correctly on all 10 of my test devices (iOS and Android).

Thanks,

Ian

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian,

I haven't heard any other reports of this, but as you say, it's pretty common for an Android device to be running some "altered" version of the OS. I assume the Xperia is doing exactly that. Is there anything "unusual" with the actual "default" image? Is it immense in overall size (pixels)?

I think we have one Xperia device around for testing, but I'm not sure it's the same one ("Z"). If you can compile your project into the most basic/core element of showing this issue, I can attempt to test it and see if we can replicate the issue.

Thanks,

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brent,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The default images are just the usual sizes I always use and that are stipulated in your guidelines. I've enabled the largeheap setting too.

I'm happy to send you the APK to see if you can replicate it and a copy of my build.settings file in case you can spot anything obvious in there. Just let me know where to send the files.

I have an older Sony Xperia (not the "Z") and the app runs fine on that. Very frustrating!

With an older or less popular device I wouldn't see it as such an issue but this is a very popular device so I'm keen to solve the issue.

Thanks,

Ian

jstrahan

jstrahan
  • Corona Geek

• 1,926 posts
  • Corona SDK

do you know if it runs on

sony xperia zl

htc butterfly

lg optimus g

lg nexus 4

all of these use the same processor.

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any of those devices for testing or access to any unless I can find someone who has recently got one.

I have the Google Nexus 10 tablet (app works fine on that) but not the Nexus 4 - presume they aren't the same processor.

jstrahan

jstrahan
  • Corona Geek

• 1,926 posts
  • Corona SDK

Google only listed those devices with the same processor maybe someone in forum has one and can test for you

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks - yes if I don't hear anything definite from anyone who has the Xperia Z it's worth seeing if anyone has one of the other devices. Will post a separate thread begging for help!

jstrahan

jstrahan
  • Corona Geek

• 1,926 posts
  • Corona SDK

You can also check with your fb and twitter friends maybe they have one

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

I too have a user reporting the same error on the Sony Xperia Z.  I just recently (2 days ago) published an update to my app using build 1177 to address the text wrapping issues in Android 4.3.  AFAIK, the previous version of our app was working fine using build 1137.  I have asked the user for a few more details, e.g. Android version,  and will add them here when I hear back.

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Aha! I was starting to think I was going mad. Yes - exactly the same as me, app was working fine using a previous Corona build but we released an update using a more recent build and now the error occurs.

Corona - this must be an issue with a recent build and as the Xperia Z is a fairly popular device is there any chance of looking into this in more detail?

As with dvboren, we wanted to use the more recent build to address the text wrapping issues in Android so wouldn't want to go back to using 1137 to get it to work as that means the text wrapping won't work.

Thanks,

Ian

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Not sure if it is relevant and I have yet to hear back from the user, but it looks like Sony started a phased rollout of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on the Xperia Z within the past month or so.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2013/07/25/on-android-jelly-bean-4-3/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/sony-starts-upgrading-international-xperia-z-to-android-4-2-2/

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just had 2 more users report this. Also on Xperia Z running Android 4.2.2.

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes I've had another too. Corona - is there anything you guys can do on this? It would appear to be an issue with the more recent builds.

Any ideas much appreciated.

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

It looks like Sony has a device loan program.  Corona staff, maybe this is something you guys could look into?  I think If I got one it would just crash as the users have described and I still wouldn't know what was going on (maybe I could get something out of logCat).  Hopefully you guys have more insight into this.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/04/11/xperia-z-and-other-new-models-added-to-our-device-loaner-service/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/borrow-a-phone/

According to my stats I have around 150 Xperia Z users.  I really don't want to see 150 one star reviews.  Corona, Help!

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agreed - I have a lot of Sony Xperia Z users too - most of them won't have bothered writing to me for an explanation - they'll just be getting annoyed and thinking the app is badly made and poor reviews will no doubt follow.

I'd be happy to get a loan device but I'm in the UK and it doesn't look like they cover anywhere outside the US. As dvboren says though - it may well not show anything anyway.

If there's anything you guys can do that would be fantastic. 

Thanks,

Ian

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian, @dvboren,

I've reported this to the engineers, but we need to "isolate" the issue here to determine the best approach. You said that this happens on "more recent builds"... but what about 1137 (most recent public)? Does it occur or not? Obviously, building with daily builds comes with a certain understanding of risk (and yet, I realize you're concerned with the Android 4.3 text issue which was resolved in recent dailies).

So my understanding thus far:

1) This only occurs on XPeria Z on apps built with "recent builds".

2) This does not occur on XPeria Z with apps built using #1137.

3) The OS causing the problem seems to be Sony's flavor of Android 4.2.2, correct?

We're going to need some kind of test case regardless, so we can see how you're setting up the project config, the build settings, which kind of launch images you're including, etc. Can one of you please compile this? 

Thanks,

Brent

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Update: I followed up with one of the users and provided them a previous version of our apk (Corona build 986).  It works fine.  

So to confirm your understanding:

1)  So far this has only been reported by Xperia Z users. 3 reports for me and  3+ for Ian.  

2)  I re-checked my release notes and I was mistaken -- our previous version for android was built with build #986.  I have a different app that was on #1137 and I have had no complaints (165k downloads).  I can't be 100% sure that 1137 is ok, only that 986 is.

3. The user I have been working with is on Sony Android 4.2.2.  I can't be sure it isn't happening on earlier versions.  

FWIW, I was able to install the latest available Sony Add-on in SDK Manager. Unfortunately the SDK is out of date 4.1.2 (API 16).  When tested with Sony 4.1.2 add-ons in the emulator, our app worked fine -- no errors in logcat.  Not sure when Sony will provide an update for their Add-on SDK to bring it up to 4.2.2 and I'm not sure the problem would happen in the emulator anyway.

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there has been any update on this at all?

I still haven't managed to get hold of an Xperia Z device.

Brett - have you guys had a chance to look into this at all?

Happy to send you some code - how would you like to receive it? I can e-mail a zip file over?

Cheers,

Ian

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Ian, @dvboren,

I have an update for you (although not ideal). We're going to test this, but we need to obtain one of these phones. That will take some time, then we need to schedule it in for testing. So, this isn't likely to happen in the immediate future (as in, not this week or anything).

At this point, we also need to confirm that the issue isn't being caused by something specific to your apps. Although it may not seem likely, sometimes the weirdest, seemingly unrelated thing will cause an app to crash. For example, people are reporting XPeria devices crashing if the Thai language is enabled on their phones: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/124269?start=60&tstart=0. So, we need to test some basic Corona-built projects on this phone (like "Hello World"), but of course, we don't yet have the phone... chicken and egg problem here.

In the meantime, the engineers are advising that you temporarily turn off support for the Xperia Z in Google Play. I know this isn't the final resolution, but at least it would help prevent bad reviews from users until we can investigate this.

Best regards,

Brent

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 336 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Brent - good to know you'll be looking into it. I am trying to get hold of one of these devices myself still but as yet nobody I know has got back to me to say they own one and shelling out several hundred pounds / dollars every time a different Android issue occurs just isn't an option for most of us.

If I can get hold of one and I get any feedback I'll obviously post here but otherwise I look forward to hearing back from you. Will remove that device in Google Play for the moment as suggested. I reckon 90% of my support time is spent messing around with different Android devices and I imagine the same goes for you guys. If only everything were as simple as iOS!

Thanks,

Ian

dvboren

dvboren
  • Enthusiast

• 59 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks Brent.  Another user today with Xperia ZL (same processor as the Z so I guess that was to be expected).

I did turn off support for Xperia Z in Google Play and for existing users I am providing a link to those who contact our support so they can sideload the previous working version of our app.

Any progress on securing an actual device to test on?

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]