[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Chartboost integration
Started by hgbrian Jul 06 2013 06:10 PM

181 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Naomi

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey, Andrew, thank you for letting me know.  Ugh, I was going to remove the permission.  So, you do see payment/revenue from Android version with the READ_PHONE_STATE permission enabled, right?  I don't want any surprises, so please do confirm.  I'd so appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Naomi

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Naomi,

What I can say is that the module delivers ads and doesn't crash when READ_PHONE_STATE is enabled.  I haven't tried it, but I highly suspect that if you don't have that permission, it'll just crash or not deliver any ads.

In terms of payment/revenue, I tried one install on iOS and one on Android.  The iOS install did show up, though only for $0.04.  The Android one hasn't shown up yet.  That's not very encouraging, but install tracking is always a quirky business, so I'll try it again, probably tomorrow.  (I don't think missing installs would have anything to do with the permissions setting.)

In any case, the module is still listed as beta, so it's certainly as use-at-your-own-risk/discretion situation.  I plan to test it quite a bit more before I decide whether or not to use it.

- Andrew

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well I stand corrected.  If I remove READ_PHONE_STATE, it still runs fine and still displays ads.

I notice that the GitHub page has been updated and is more clear that READ_PHONE_STATE shouldn't be enabled.  (It was written in a way before that made it look like a typo, whereas now it's very clear about it.)

I'll email ChartBoost about it, since it's still a bit strange.

- Andrew

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thank you, Andrew.  I sent email to Chartboost too, citing the github url.  Yes, I had tried both, with & without READ_PHONE_STATE permission, and it did not crash or cause any issue in terms of user experience on device, so I figured one of which would register ad impression, clickthrough and/or installs properly while the other wouldn't.

Please let me know when you hear back from Chartboost.  I'll post if/when I hear back from them too.  

Meanwhile, I'm reverting all my code back to include READ_PHONE_STATE permission plus rotation with other ad providers.  But how frustrating this is.

Naomi

Update:  I heard back from Chartboost:

The reason the Corona SDK won't work with that permission enabled is that it prevents the return of Android IDs, which our system needs to receive.

The following is from Corona's documentation (http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/library/system/getInfo.html):

"On Android, if your app uses the "android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" permission, then the following will be returned:

IMEI for GSM phones.
MEID or ESN for CDMA phones.
The operating system's unique id for devices that are not phones."

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

My guess is that it has to do with what system.getInfo("deviceID") returns.  According to http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/library/system/getInfo.html, what it returns on Android differs depending whether the permission is enabled or not, so I suspect ChartBoost depends on it being the OS-assigned ID (in which case, including the permission might actually affect ChartBoost's ability to give credit for an install, different from what I thought earlier).

- Andrew

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 702 posts
  • Corona SDK

to drop in my 2 cents...

first I have tried it with the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. it did show ads, but did NOT register my installs.

now I have the READ_PHONE_STATE removed (as written on github), and installs get recorded. the app is live and working.

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks @dingo, that's great to know.

- Andrew

RedBeach

RedBeach
  • Corona Geek

• 1,132 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, thanks for testing and sharing with us. So my idea of using RevMob + Chartboost will not work (At least for Android)...

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have tested it on the iPhone and the test ads are showing but there is no real ads, but the didFailToLoadInterstitial which is fine.

Guess, there is no ads for Croatia.

How can I "trick" the system to another country (e.g. USA) ?

I would like to see how the real ads look like.

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey, @dingo, thanks for letting us know.  Back to removing READ_PHONE_STATE permission and commenting out rotation scheme.

@ubj3d.android, got no idea how you could do it...

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

OK, here are some more findings:

1) I got real ads on my iPhone, they look really nice and proffesional

2) The ads are not perfect positioned inside the frame (nor the default nor the green one from example), they are about 10 px to much "down" - think that could be fixed by moving the frame in Photoshop a bit down

3) This one is a game breaker - if you change orientation, the ad goes away but the grey area covering the whole screen stays and it is unresponsive (have to remove the game from memory)

I have set orientation "landscape" in their dashboard.

4) after some time ads stop showing - maybe they have some kind of protection to not spam the system

OK, managed to position the ad inside the frame by editing the frame picture in Photoshop (moved it a bit down).

aukStudios

aukStudios
  • Corona Geek

• 1,003 posts
  • Corona SDK

Good catch @ubj3d.android on your #3.  I can reproduce that error in the Simulator too.  The issue is a run-time error being generated by the module.  The following is printed to the terminal.

onOrientationChange
Error creating layout for impression: chartboostlibrary.lua:3773: attempt to cal
l local 'frameImage' (a nil value)

I've emailed ChartBoost about it.

- Andrew

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

Good catch @ubj3d.android on your #3.  I can reproduce that error in the Simulator too.  The issue is a run-time error being generated by the module.  The following is printed to the terminal.

onOrientationChange
Error creating layout for impression: chartboostlibrary.lua:3773: attempt to cal
l local 'frameImage' (a nil value)

I've emailed ChartBoost about it.

- Andrew

Found a solution for this, although it is not perfect.

1) Enable both orientations in their dashboard

2) Upload frames for both orientations

My game is landscape only.

If I turn the phone portrait, the ad is shown in portrait but with 90 degrees rotation.

At least it doesn't crash or freeze. I can leave with that for now :)

Regards,

Damir.

hgbrian

hgbrian
  • Contributor

• 103 posts
  • Corona SDK

@aukStudios

if you go to their github page you can see that I have logged this bug (under "issues") and chartboost has acknowledged it. Strange that it isn't fixed yet considering there have been a few checkins. 

Like ubj3d.android I also found that uploading a custom frame and allowing Portrait or Landscape in chartboost works (some more details on page one of this thread:)). 

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey, @ubj3.android and @hgbrian (and anyone else who can help), for the life of me, I cannot find where I am to upload the custom frame.   Where on dashboard can it be?  I must be missing something simple, but I just don't see it.  Please help.

Naomi

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

Edit your app, open "Promote other apps"...

Regards,

Damir.

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey, Damir @ubj3d.android, thank you so much.  I appreciate it.

Naomi

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

Is this orientation bug only on Android? It is working fine for me on IOS (ipad2 and iphone5) I did not have to upload any frame graphic. The only thing i see is that the change from landscape (my app is) to portrait seems to be very sensitive and kind of annoying! Still the ad change to portrait and back, it does not crash the app...

Mo

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Mo,

the issue with orientation change is there on iOS, not sure about Android as I have no tested there.

It occurs if you enable only "landscape" orientation in their dashboard.

And yes, the change from landscape to portrait is very sensitive and happanes even when you do not turn the phone to portrait.

Not perfect, but at least it works...

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just tried their wall, but it look very bad.

Anyone else tried the wall ?

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

@ubj3d.android  THANKS. I did not realize that I had checked both orientations on the Chartboost dashboard. Thank you also for confirming that the orientation is very sensitive. Not too much of a big deal at this point. Just more like annoyance! I did not try the wall yet. Is that bad!?

Mo

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well, the wall is not working for me.

Better said, it looks unusable...

Regards,

Damir.

ubj3d.android

ubj3d.android
  • Contributor

• 741 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have contacted them about the bug and got an answer they are aware of it and will push a fix.

Regards,

Damir.

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm getting didFailToLoadInterstitial.  When this happens, it fails to show Chartboost ad and my app hangs.  If I add something like showMyOtherAds and cb.cacheInterstitial to this delegate, it goes haywire for me.  Basically, it gets trapped in the loop -- keep failing to cache the ad and hitting didFailToLoadInterstitial over an over.

For now, I decided not to use didFailToLoadInterstitial at all, and when cb.hasCachedInterstitial() is true, I call cb.showInterstitial(), otherwise, I simply call showMyOtherAds() and cb.cacheInterstitial().  

But the problem is, once my device started getting didFailToLoadInterstitial, it doesn't seem to cache any ad at all any more, which results in not showing Chartboost ad at all.

Would it correct itself eventually?

Naomi

Edit:  It corrected itself -- meaning, I see the Chartboost ads again.

ingemar

ingemar
  • Corona Geek

• 2,733 posts
  • Enterprise

Do you call cb.cacheInterstitial() within didFailToLoadInterstitial? I can see that causing a recursive loop when no ads are available. You should be able to call your showMyOtherAds() without a problem though, but cb.cacheInterstitial() should definitely be moved out and put elsewhere.

I've tested didFailToLoadInterstitial and I call my RevMob fullscreen function from there and it works fine.

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 »

[/topic_controls]