[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

How long will I be punished for not renewing my subscription?
Started by xyloidhead Jun 21 2013 11:41 AM

- - - - -
30 replies to this topic

Best Answer bjsorrentino , 17 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

@xyloidhead,

Before you do as Rob suggests, please clear out your preferences again (as I detailed), quit Corona, and try to re-register. We have completely wiped all your system info internally, on the Corona servers, such that it doesn't even "know you existed". If this doesn't work, then Rob's suggestion will be the avenue to take.

Thanks,

Brent

[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

xyloidhead

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Cannot afford the license fee this year so I had to drop to the public SDK but every time I start it I get asked if I want to Renew Now or be Reminded Later

How, other than subscribing, can I stop that that screen appearing? Happy to see a screen that says it is a "Public Release/ Trial version whatever" But reminding me that you have priced me out each time I start up doesn't seem like a good strategy to make me consider reviewing that decision.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @xyloidhead,

What version/build are you using? Are you using #1076, by chance? This reminder should not be showing up as often in the most recent public build.

Thanks,

Brent

marcs

marcs
  • Observer

• 11 posts
  • Corona SDK

No! Same here! Newest SDK doesn´t stop nagging me. I would have renewed for the old price just to not be nagged (ok .. I wouldn't). Not possible anymore, now I would have to pay new price. Makes me hate! Do something pls.

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have had mixed success with the latest public build. Normally I invoke the simulator via LuaGlider v1.9, the IDE I use to develop in, and the nagging has stopped.

But when I just run the simulator by itself I get the nagging every time.

Which is why I haven't marked it as solved.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @marcs, @xyloidhead,

We just released a new public release today (#1202). Can you please download this? It should not have this nagging feature anymore.

https://developer.coronalabs.com/downloads/corona-sdk

Best regards,

Brent Sorrentino

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Downloaded the new version and it started nagging me when I ran it from within the LuaGlider IDE.

Going back to CoronaSDK-2013.1137 which at least didn't nag me from the IDE.

marcs

marcs
  • Observer

• 11 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey,

Downloaded new build. No, it´s still nagging me. I have the option to choose "remind me later" no " do not ..." option. Maybe that is the way to go.

sabelo

sabelo
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just downloaded 1202 and I get the nagging window every time I open. It really annoys me because I am strongly against the new licensing model, so the message is a real kick in the nuts every time :(

Is it perhaps an OSX specific thing? I'm on mountain lion for the record.

Really hope there is a fix and I won't have to wait for the next public release.

Cheers

J

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

And it just got worse.

The latest version of Particle Candy potentially has problems with build 2013.1137, on a Mac, which I use so I'm not nagged every time I run my code from LuaGlider. I cannot say for sure as I'm not prepared to change to the new build to find out.

So if I want to use Particle Candy it looks like I'll have to be prepared to have my development slowed down by being nagged every time I run my code.  Sigh, I don't suppose anyone there at Corona cares.

Wonder if the nagging will stop if I download the new build and register it as a different user, hmmm.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @xyloidhead, @marcs, @sabelo,

I realize this is frustrating for you, and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I tried to replicate the issue on OS X under a new trial Starter account, using Build #1202, and after I register and log in once, I do not receive any nagging... not after 20+ Command-R refreshes, nor after several "Quit > Reload" operations.

The common usage situation here, as far as I can tell, is LuaGlider, am I correct? I don't know what that IDE does internally, or how it launches Corona, but one possibility is that it's actually "force quitting" the Corona Simulator each and every time you run your code... more specifically, a system-level termination of the program each and every time, not merely a user-triggered quit and restart. This may be preventing any saving of preferences or otherwise to tell the Corona Sim that you've already registered.

We want to make the process of using Corona as smooth as possible, but if this is a symptom related to the use of LuaGlider that does not occur with other IDEs, and certainly does not occur outside of any IDE usage, it will be difficult to pin this down. Have you contacted the developers of LuaGlider and asked them what may be happening here?

Best regards,

Brent Sorrentino

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brett

In the newest build the nagging happens if I start the simulator in or out of Lua Glider.

I'm using build 2013.1137 because then the nagging does NOT happen when I start the simulator from LuaGlider. But it still happens when I start it up outside LuaGlider.

I'm on a Mac, and I used to have a subscription. Nagging started when I didn't renew and hasn't stopped despite having to get a new mac that could run Mountain lion, and hence Corona.

I have not contacted the LuaGlider developers as the nagging happens outside of it as well.

Not sure what other details I can supply that are relevant.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @xyloidhead,

That's odd and it shouldn't be happening (as I mentioned, I tested from a Starter account and it doesn't nag me). I assume you're not running it from a command line or something? Have you cleared out all of your preferences for Corona (including ones that have "anscamobile" in them, plus the Application Support folders? I can also try to de-authorize your current machines, and see if that helps.

Best regards,

Brent

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Brent

The true test would be to register as if you bought a copy, force that registration to expire and see if the starter account then nagged you. As that is my situation, had a license, it expired, nagging commenced.

I wouldn't know where the preferences you mention are, are they on the account here, or somewhere on the Mac? Looked on the Account details here and that didn't show me any variables.

Happy to try it if I can find them. Also happy to try deauthorising my machines as well. Though one thing at a time I imagine is best.

john

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi John,

OK, let's try a few things and maybe we can pin this down in your case. First, we'll try getting rid of the prefs on your local machine.

First, open up the Corona Simulator. Open up "Preferences..." from the app's top menu, and click the "Deauthorize and Quit" button. This should take a few seconds, and the Simulator will then quit.

Also, make sure you don't have another version of the Simulator running. If so, do the same process for that. And, quit LuaGlider if you have that running.

Next, remove the Corona preference files. In the OS X Finder, click on your home directory (main user) to where you see the typical folders like Documents, Movies, Music, etc. Since OS X 10.7, Apple decided to "hide" the Library folder to discourage people getting in there and messing things up. So, now you have to access that by selecting (from the top menu) "Go > Go to Folder..." and then type in "~/library" and click Go. This should take you to the Library folder.

Once in there, open the "Application Support" folder. Locate both the "Corona" and "Corona Simulator" folders and trash them.

Now, back out to the main Library folder again, and locate/open the "Preferences" folder. If you see any files that start with "com.anscamobile.", please trash those. Also, look for the pair that starts with "com.coronalabs." and trash those.

Finally, log out from your account on the Corona website, restart the computer, and then try re-loading the Simulator. Please then report back what happens, and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Brent

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

No joy, after all that it behaves exactly the same.

I had to login to use the Simulator when I restarted it proving that it had deauthorised correctly; it didn't quit as the button suggested so I wasn't sure.

Oh I installed build 2013.1202 just in case it did work. But alas :-(

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

OK, I just de-authorized two machines internally. Can you do the de-auth (via "Preferences...") again on your side, and test what happens? Thanks.

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ok, I deauthorised it here, much cleaner on this build.

Then started the simulator up again and had to re-register it; as you'd expect. And the first thing it did was remind me to renew my subscription :-( So no change.

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle

• 26,393 posts
  • Enterprise

Can I offer a suggestion????  Do you have another email address you can use to register with?  This would rule out any ties to your old account after clearing all the preferences above.

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Best Answer

@xyloidhead,

Before you do as Rob suggests, please clear out your preferences again (as I detailed), quit Corona, and try to re-register. We have completely wiped all your system info internally, on the Corona servers, such that it doesn't even "know you existed". If this doesn't work, then Rob's suggestion will be the avenue to take.

Thanks,

Brent

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey Brett

Purging my system info, cleaning out my preferences, rebooting and then re-registering seems to have done the trick.

No nag screen when I just start up Corona, nor when I start it through LuaGlider.

Happy to mark it as solved, from my end.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Regards

sabelo

sabelo
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

Glad to hear of your success John, I haven't shared your success unfortunately. I can confirm that having followed Brent's steps including: death&quit, delete all the bits in ~/Library, kill zero-brane(I recommend), log out of the website, restart machine. After the machine booted up, I loaded up corona, it asked me to sign in, then immediately hit me with the nagging screen and continues to do so once more. Worth noting however is that in my corona preferences window my subscription is listed as "Pro". I'd hazard a guess therefore that the real solution to John's problem was the purge you chaps did on your side:

"We have completely wiped all your system info internally"

Could you do the same for me?

Thanks

J

e7k_Erik

e7k_Erik
  • Enthusiast

• 85 posts
  • Corona SDK

Could you do the same for me as well?

e7k_Erik

e7k_Erik
  • Enthusiast

• 85 posts
  • Corona SDK

@xyloidhead,

Thanks,

Brent

Could you do the same for me as well? :)

Edit: Sry for the double post :)

xyloidhead

xyloidhead
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'd hazard a guess therefore that the real solution to John's problem was the purge you chaps did on your side:

It was indeed the purge that cured the problem. Like you I did all the steps and they had no effect until they were done in conjunction with the purge.

Good luck

Appletreeman

Appletreeman
  • Contributor

• 450 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Brent, sorry to be a pain but could you do the same for me please?  Thanks :)

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

[/topic_controls]