[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Corona Remote - Accelerometer in Simulator - Released
Started by Matthew Pringle Jan 01 2011 04:47 AM

81 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Matthew Pringle

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

@dweezil I do see your point but at the same time I think you are wrong ( no offence ). A vibrant and active ecosystem built around the core of Corona is exactly what you want. It help keeps a piece of software strong and encourages others to adopt the platform. Plus the chances of new and surprising features greatly increases, like the particle engine.

The physics engine, Box2D, used in part in Bubble Ball, is a 3rd party engine. Ansca integrated it into Corona a few months back. This happened behind the scenes and im unsure the licensing they had to go into but if they developed it themselves they may well still be at it.

I dont see the remote as an essential tool, its a very niche product. Only a small percentage of Corona users will find it helpful and the number of Corona users is small compared to the market if I had developed an iPhone app/game.

The particle engine is again a 3rd party engine and one that was not developed for Corona, it was ported by the developers for Corona users because they judged the Corona eco system to be one they could bring value to. Ansca would have been pushed to develop a particle engine in the same short period, it can take years, lots of mathematicians and money to bring such a product to market. I for one hope they work with Ansca to integrate the engine directly into the core of Corona to enhance speed / effects but I would still expect to pay them for a licence.

@bedhouin no offence taken. While I was developing the remote Ansca were developing universal builds, openAL and a few other really cool additions that are coming shortly. None of them achievable in lua, unlike the remote.

Support and integration will happen as and when new features are added to Corona which I can make use of.

@XenonBL my thoughts exactly

I know there are some game salad users who would prefer a more complete package. The problem there is that the package will become very focused and limited in what it can do. Corona on the other hand may feel like a blank canvas but it has much more potential ( why I use it ) and as easily as it can do a 2d physics game it can do much much more. Like the remote, or I could write a web server on it, run industrial equipment from it, write a business app or an eBook. Its limited only by the users imagination, and a few missing features, most of which are replicable in lua if you know how 16bit games used to achieve effects etc...

Corona is still in its infancy and ive seen it grow in the past year in an amazing way and the support and communication from Ansca have shown time and again that I made the correct choice in platform. I for one cant wait for the next 3rd party tool to pop up.
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17565

thispedro

thispedro
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Matthew Pringle do you plan remote for Android?
uid: 10507 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17567

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ive not done any android development. Could I just build under the androiddebugkey under Corona and pass it to users like that or is it more complicated than that?
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17573

IgnacioIturra

IgnacioIturra
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Guests

"The physics engine, Box2D, used in part in Bubble Ball, is a 3rd party engine. Ansca integrated it into Corona a few months back. This happened behind the scenes and im unsure the licensing they had to go into but if they developed it themselves they may well still be at it."

I think this is exactly what he meant. I completely agree that you want your users developing third party add-ons, there's no need to reinvent the wheel here, however instead third parties selling it to us, Ansca should license it from them and include in the SDK. I'm obviously talking only about the relevant ones.

You say that you're are gonna maintain it and I fully believe you, but the risk for the buyer between buying from an indie dev versus a corporation like Ansca is very different. Just like it's much different buying from Ansca than say Microsoft. A lot of people won't buy Corona since they can't put up with the risk of online builds and being left with no way to compile their stuff should Ansca disappear (knock on wood). Imagine relying on a one man operation for a critical functionality on your project (not the case here obviously, but I hope you get the point).

If all the third party add-ons are consolidated, then you're just buying Ansca risk, which would be a lot more paleatable for most of us (since we're already doing that).

I hope my ramblings made some sense.
uid: 10835 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17581

bedhouin

bedhouin
  • Contributor

• 258 posts
  • Guests

@Matthew: You can create your own keystore from command line with the keytool: http://www.androiddevelopment.org/tag/keytool/
uid: 11393 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17582

bedhouin

bedhouin
  • Contributor

• 258 posts
  • Guests

@Ignacio:

If all the third party add-ons are consolidated, then you're just buying Ansca risk

Spoken like a true banker ;)
uid: 11393 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17585

IgnacioIturra

IgnacioIturra
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Guests

LOL well that IS my day job ;). Game development is just a recent part time hobby for me.

Doesn't make what I said any less true though.
uid: 10835 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17588

dweezil

dweezil
  • Contributor

• 568 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think you hit the nail on the head there, well said. Far better expressed than i could say but couldn't agree more
uid: 9371 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17592

thispedro

thispedro
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Matthew Pringle You could do that. But You may also sign for Android Developer Program and publish Remote to AndroidMarket. If You need beta tests for android or any help contact me pm [at] piotrmachowski [dot] net
uid: 10507 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17610

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

I will look into Android when I have a moment.
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17614

thispedro

thispedro
  • Observer

• 26 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Matthew Pringle great! I hope it will be soon because no i am in the middle of developmnet my accelerometer based game and its pain to build for device every time i want to test it.
uid: 10507 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17615

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

ok pedro I will email you, lets have a go
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17616

J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye
  • Corona Geek

• 1,689 posts
  • Corona SDK

Everyone just imagine my eloquent and moving argument about Corona and the 3rd-party market below...

...wasn't that nice?

The reason you can't see it for real is because the forum software logged me out between the time I started writing and the time I ended writing and scrapped everything I wrote.

Pffft.

Note to Ansca:
I asked before, and it's actually germane to this debate -- does Ansca want to be in the mobile apps language business, or the online forums business? If NOT the latter, then why not use a solid and tested forum software? Your traffic here is only going to keep growing and by doing it yourself you won't be able to take advantage of any 3rd-party add-ons, you'll have to do everything from scratch.

*grumble*

Jay
uid: 9440 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17631

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

Carlos...

The time out problem, if not related to a setting in the forum, could be php related. It has a default timeout setting if you are using the php session variable.

its an easy fix by adding a php.ini file in the root with a timeout setting
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17632

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

gruble to jay

we are thinking of moving to zendesk - any suggestions you may have?

Carlos
uid: 24 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17633

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

ha !

its our traffic --- we have been slammed and we quadruple our servers..... and still....

sean is monitoring it like crazy and he sees the spikes ... etc......

c.
uid: 24 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17636

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ok it seems we also now have an android version thanks to a little testing with thispedro.

I will look at getting it distributed.

Oh, Carlos. That was easy, took all of 10 mins and remembering to enable the network build setting on android.
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17638

dweezil

dweezil
  • Contributor

• 568 posts
  • Corona SDK

Could you please explain how this sends the info to the simulator? Where is it documented that the simulator listens for external stimulus? Ta
uid: 9371 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17641

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

look up lua sockets

it has a bunch of different networking protocols built in, tcp, upd, http, ftp
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17642

dweezil

dweezil
  • Contributor

• 568 posts
  • Corona SDK

So was this app built with just corona
uid: 9371 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17643

Matthew Pringle

Matthew Pringle
  • Contributor

• 660 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, Corona is very versatile.
uid: 5354 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17648

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

Congratulations. I bought the app yesterday. What's next for Corona Remote?
uid: 11904 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 17656

reddotinc

reddotinc
  • Contributor

• 143 posts
  • Guests

Great work Matt, this Is definitely something that I will be picking up soon. Will be so good to be able to test without building over and over again.

I'd like to commend you on the design of the app and website, they both look fantastic :)

// Ed.
uid: 7143 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 18011

reddotinc

reddotinc
  • Contributor

• 143 posts
  • Guests

Just wanted to let you know that I have just purchased this and it is worth 10x the price to me.

I spent most of last night building my app over 40 times to test my accelerometer based movement (image how much time that took out of development!), and using this app will save us so much time now and in the future with games.

Thank you very much Matt, I will be leaving your first UK Store review :)

TIME IS MONEY people! :)

// Ed.
uid: 7143 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 18132

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

I fully agree and echo with the sentiments above. Had not occurred to me earlier but come to think of it this is also great news for Corona build servers which are currently under some stress. Less build = more response to those that need it. Kudos once again.
uid: 11904 topic_id: 4773 reply_id: 18134

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

[/topic_controls]