[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Corona Starter Pop-Ups
Started by Magenda Apr 10 2013 11:12 PM

- - - - -
12 replies to this topic
pop-up starter trial annoying
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Magenda

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Magenda
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Team, 

I was thinking that, with the previous plans, the "Upgrade your Subscription" pop-up windows on the "Trial" plan was very annoying. As a lot of the users are used to close the Simulator and restart it for the next "Run", with the help of embedded scripts in their code editor, it is very common for the user to see this annoying pop-up more than 20 times in a code session. However, the free version of Corona then was a "trial of a full product" so there wasn't something to be requested or discussed...

Now, the Corona Starter is promoted as a full-featured plan and Corona is considered as a "free" product with paid super-versions!

I would very much like to see the Starter version without any annoying upgrade pop-ups that make me clicking like crazy each time I run my code. Moreover, this would make me think that Corona Labs has indeed changed the rules and has released a full (starter, but functionally unlimited) product for free.

Thanks!

undecode

undecode
  • Contributor

• 198 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi, I think this is just asking too much. Consider you are using corona sdk for free, they need people to pay subscription to keep working on the engine, if they didn't even tell you to "upgrade" how would people know about it?

And Ctrl+R reloads main.lua

Magenda

Magenda
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

Developers that use the Starter version don't suffer from Alzheimer's disease, they always know that there is a Pro version!  Also, there is no chance that someone will pay $600 just to remove the pop-ups. So, it is not a sales motivation, it is just an annoyance factor.

When you write code on a laptop using Glider or IntelliJ, the last thing you want to do is to leave the Simulator eating your battery and raising the cpu fan speeds. So, practically you just close the Simulator after testing your code and reopen it when the next changes are done. It is very annoying to close the pop-ups for 20 times in each coding session.

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Enterprise

Edit:  Woops, I didn't realize it was about something else.  Sorry.

Naomi

Magenda

Magenda
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Naomi thanks for the answer but ...nope! I am not talking about the error pop-ups. It is a special pop-up window that appears only in Starter version with the message "Upgrade Today".

Naomi

Naomi
  • Corona Geek

• 2,303 posts
  • Enterprise

Yeah, I realized it after I made a reply post.  Sorry about that.  I've never seen the "Upgrade Today" popup -- so, while hurrying through the posts (and not reading carefully), I misread the thread.  I apologize.

Naomi

Magenda

Magenda
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

So, I guess Corona Starter is just a Trial version after all... and Pro is the standard product.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.17.52 PM.png

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Magenda, with the latest build you should not be seeing "trial" messaging. Is that the build you are running?

kodewulf

kodewulf
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

This also happens if you were a PRO subscriber and let it lapse. This is with the latest public build, 2013.1076 (2013.4.3).

screenshot.renew-subscription.20130416-1508.png

Magenda

Magenda
  • Contributor

• 427 posts
  • Corona SDK

@David

I'm using the latest release on OSX. Using Glider, Zerobrane Studio, Sublime Text etc is not a good experience because of the pop-up on each run.

The issue doesn't occur on Windows (from what I remember the pop-up was shown just some times and then it stopped appearing after some days).

kodewulf

kodewulf
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

Would it be possible to get some feedback from CoronaLabs regarding this?

bjsorrentino

bjsorrentino
  • Veteran

• 8,506 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi @kodewulf,

Yes, we're aware of it, and we realize that it's somewhat obtrusive, especially if you build frequently. We intend to change this (to appear less often or something like that) but that must wait until the next public build. That being said, we intend to ramp up the frequency of public builds somewhat, so the wait won't be as long as you might imagine. In the meantime, this must remain "as is", and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Brent Sorrentino

kodewulf

kodewulf
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes, we're aware of it

Hi Brent, 

Thanks for the feedback. That's all I was after. I'm probably going to upgrade my subscription before the end of the month, so hopefully that will persuade the popup to stay away for a bit. :)

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]