[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Corona Starter And Changes To Pro - Discuss!
Started by DavidRangel Apr 05 2013 08:08 AM

* * * * * 3 votes
96 replies to this topic
starter
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

spideri

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
spideri
  • Contributor

• 106 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hello folks, just been catching up with all of this exciting news and I have a few points I'd like to make.

Firstly, we are now using Unity Pro (trial for now) for another project because we need 3D; basically it's an augmented reality project so it's the obvious choice. We are professional developers and whilst we'd love to spend 100% of our time making our own indie games we simply can't afford to do that yet. This Unity project is targeting commercial clients and they expect NOT to see a Unity splash screen every time their app opens as they want to see their own logo. Therefore we need to use Unity Pro and looking at the pricing now it looks like a single license is $1500 for pro + $1500 for iOS + $1500 for Android = $4,500. Unity is an amazing tool and the price is justified. We'll just need to include it in the costing for the clients!

This brings me back to Corona which has no Corona splash screen for ANY version. Meaning even free users can use it for commercial work! Amazing. I'm sure that news alone will help build a bigger and stronger Corona community.

I'm also now thinking that our own game Finger Hoola could actually now be built with that free version as it uses no IAPs. Having said that, we could never have built and released it when we did without having access to the daily builds, due to well know problems such as storyboard and in our case an audio lib bug. So whilst we're quite happy and very excited to see the new features coming to the pro level I'd personally like to see a bigger commitment to addressing problems with the public release and please make them monthly. Users should choose to upgrade to pro because they need more features not because they need it to work.

So if we have a fully paid Unity Pro license will we continue to use Corona for most of our projects? Absolutely. We simply can't do anything else as quickly and efficiently as we can do it in Corona. In fact a good friend of mine has been doing a lot of swearing lately because he's having a hard time getting Unity to run well beyond a certain number of 2D UI objects. No platform is perfect!

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

@funkyvisions, @sean84 - sorry about the bad timing guys, but it is inevitable that some people will be just on the bad side of an announcement like this. There are also people that are in the opposite situation of course.

@codingcake - there are a number of things still being defined around plugins. However, our goal is to have as many plugins available as possible. Fair warning: it is impossible to have tons of plugins day 1. It will take some time to build up a good inventory of plugins but we will get there.

@natelipscomb - thank you very much for the great thoughts and feedback. I agree with you on several points:

- our communication on features can be better

- we need to be more regular on public releases

We are getting better at this and will continue to improve it. We realize this is really important to fully regain the confidence of the community. But anything we have said we are building in the last few months will get delivered. There is no question about that. 

Caleb P

Caleb P
  • Corona Geek

• 1,424 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just wanted everyone to know that I will always include a Corona splash screen in my future games. Corona has been so amazing and the community and staff have been so helpful that I, for one, don't mind advertising for them. Thank you so much to everyone :)

C

open768

open768
  • Enthusiast

• 83 posts
  • Corona SDK

For the developer I think having corona for free is a great idea.  Free is free right, whats to complain right?  I'm amongst those that unsubstantial numbers of indie developers  dropping back from pro to starter as to be honest I'm happy with the graphics engine and am able to work around most things. Its not as if indies cant access IAP or analytics. For analytics theres gameanalytics.com (who have a corona specific library :-)) and for IAPs there are many that have JSON interface which can be used from starter (eg virool).  Plus the forums are great for solving problems. So I don't think there is any real downside for the developer. Loss of latest builds - its was a IWBNI anyway - no great loss.

For Corona, I would imagine that the calculations work out too. Thought I don't get it, and Its not my problem anyway. Its probably cheaper to have a simpler subscription model in terms of hassle.

So onward I go, and hope that when I do eventually release an app it makes enough money to justify going pro.

JonPM

JonPM
  • Corona Geek

• 1,077 posts
  • Corona SDK

I have to say that personally I don't mind the price increase and structure change.  I was lucky enough to have purchased a subscription just prior to the announcement, but even if I hadn't the Starter one would have been fantastic for me.  Corona is a great product and to me Lua is one of it's main advantages. The learning curve is short and a lot of the work is done for you.  What you are really paying for is convenience.  Remember people, Xcode and Eclipse are completely free to use.  If you are unhappy about Corona's price structure feel free to use one of those IDE's .

I think really the main discussion and area of concern for most is IAP.  While this is becoming one of the more popular monetization methods it certainly isn't the only one.  Regardless of whether or not it is the best choice for your app is irrelevant.  But like others have mentioned you first need to tackle the battle of getting many downloads before making any money.  If you are unsure about buying Pro in order to utilize IAP, I would suggest doing some basic math beforehand to justify the cost.  For instance, I think a fair conversion rate for most apps with IAP is around 2-3% on average.  So, to make it easy, let's say you plan on averaging $1 per IAP sale.  In order to justify the cost of Pro you're looking at roughly 20,000-30,000 downloads to happen per year. If your current app isn't getting anywhere near that then it won't be worth it.  If you have a new app and are unsure you will reach those numbers, then release it completely for free.  See what happens.   If you can't reach those numbers with a completely free app then you won't with a restricted app with IAP. 

stan8

stan8
  • Contributor

• 139 posts
  • Corona SDK

Alright!

Now I get it, your intention was warn of impending changes and price changes that will follow the tech changes.

Then I take my words back, it is not a cash grab!

But there are clearly some miscommunication issues, as can be noticed by the amount of people complaining of several things.

But I am looking forward to it, I only wish Pro supported offline builds, one of the reasons we bought Marmalade was that some of our apps have lots of versions (one of them is in 5 different android stores that don't want link to competitor stores, and it has lite and full version, thus only on Android it is already 10 builds) and the lack of automatic builds is introducing lots of human errors and making the process very slow.

This alone would justify much better the Pro price increase and the removal of Indie license.

Maurício Gomes

Joe C.

Joe C.
  • Contributor

• 170 posts
  • Corona SDK

I see alot of people actually upset that its free now but all i got to say is THANK YOU GOD!!!!!! lol - i have been hoping that by some miraculous work Corona would be made as a free version and now I got it!

Now I have a reason to push forward in my learning of Corona SDK and LUA! Thank you again for making a free version that has the capabilities to publish! :wub:

JonPM

JonPM
  • Corona Geek

• 1,077 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Corona Staff - Can you please clarify one thing for me.  I am a current Indie dev (iOS only) that got upgraded to the new Pro.  Do I also get the 2 years @ $349ea? 

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

JonPM - yes, you do. At this point all subscribers are Pro subscribers. And all Pro subscribers on April 30 can renew for up to 2 years at $349.

JonPM

JonPM
  • Corona Geek

• 1,077 posts
  • Corona SDK

Great, thank you.  One last question (out of curiosity), how does Corona know the generated revenues of its developers?  

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

JonPM - we don't. It's purely a licensing restriction (as opposed to a technical one). But it is a fairly standard thing to have a licensing agreement with those terms. Unity has very similar terms for its "free" tier.

raymondcheng

raymondcheng
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

maybe next year  I will giveup Pro account to Starter, I think I will not using store and plugin, I don't mind the splash screen, it's no big deal with it....

this changing is not fair to Pro license member! 

Is that fair to the existing Pro License owner???????????

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Raymondcheng - I don't think I understand your question. 

And also note: we are not forcing a splash screen. All products, including Starter, can have a custom splash screen.

cjc83486

cjc83486
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

I know I posted this on the other page just now, but I wanted to make sure my question is answered.  I was wondering how corona was going to handle educational liscenses now?  Are they the same price or have they gone up?  Can I renew it for $250 in a year if I'm still in college?  Thanks.

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

cjc83486 - EDU pricing has not changed. You can see more info here:

http://www.coronalabs.com/store/corona-for-education/

cjc83486

cjc83486
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

@David-

Thanks!  I looked there, but I didn't know if it was updated.  Do you know if EDU will stay at $250 after May 1st?

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Yes - we are keeping the EDU price at $249. That is not changing.

Into-It Games

Into-It Games
  • Contributor

• 148 posts
  • Corona SDK

Is Corona EDU pricing available to high school students or only college students? Also, does an EDU license restrict commercial use of the SDK?

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

It's available to both high-school and college students. And the subscription is exactly the same, no restrictions for edu.

Into-It Games

Into-It Games
  • Contributor

• 148 posts
  • Corona SDK

Now that is pretty awesome!

cjc83486

cjc83486
  • Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Corona SDK

I am very impressed with all the updates lately: Cloud, iAds, Widget 2.0, Plugins... It has literally everything for an indie developer and the programming language is easy and straight forward.  I don't think I could have ever gotten the drive to start my game without Corona.

sunmils

sunmils
  • Contributor

• 197 posts
  • Corona SDK

My pro role was extended as mentioned by two months, but if I start the simulator, I get a message, that my pro account expires in 2 days, which refers on the old date!

Why that? If my role expire in two days, I have to pay 599 for the new one? Please clarify.

spideri

spideri
  • Contributor

• 106 posts
  • Corona SDK

Try logging out and back in. Sometimes you need to force it to refresh.

sunmils

sunmils
  • Contributor

• 197 posts
  • Corona SDK

worked!

thank you

tomekgt

tomekgt
  • Enthusiast

• 47 posts
  • Enterprise

Will there be details released on the new graphical capabilities before the deadline for buying Pro at a discount? I really would love to know this. 

Anyway, great work and I continue to be amazed by the depth of features and ease of use. :)

I think this price change is fair enough personally. A little too fair if you ask me but I can't complain then can I?

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

[/topic_controls]