[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

RE Privacy Policy Concerns: Turn Corona Data Collection OFF!
Started by kRona Dec 06 2012 04:22 AM

- - - - -
38 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

cspence

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
cspence
  • Contributor

• 338 posts
  • Enterprise

I agree with you Stephen, but more important I want to be able to decide if I want statistics being sent to Corona.
uid: 160288 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134533

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks cspense. I kind of agreeing with you that i am sure only few apps have privacy policy. I also noticed just now that the itunes app page has a privacy policy URL box:

Privacy Policy URL (Optional)"...A URL that links to your company's privacy policy. Privacy policies are recommended for all apps collecting user or device related data, and required for apps that offer auto-renewable or free subscriptions, or as otherwise required by law..."

So Apple is already providing a place to put a a link to page. I also find this link about using maybe the EULA section for privacy message.

http://blog.privacychoice.org/2011/10/25/how-do-i-include-a-privacy-policy-in-my-app-store-and-itunes-listings/

I may simply wait for Corona to come up with a standard PP and stick it in the EULA section of my app on iTunes.

Mo

uid: 100814 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134534

Anderoth

Anderoth
  • Contributor

• 278 posts
  • Corona SDK

@cspence

Just want to respond to the not needing it in your app comment above. Delta is currently being sued by CA for ONLY having it on their website, not in there app. So it seems CA is going to be very picky about this. Now if your app isn't downloaded millions of times, you probably have nothing to worry about ATM. A year from now? Anyone's guess.

My best advice to all. Just go overboard in your preparations. If you collect data create a policy. Any third party's involved, provide links to their privacy policies. Better safe than sorry.
uid: 56820 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134535

beckslash

beckslash
  • Contributor

• 113 posts
  • Corona SDK

I think the best thing for all developers using Corona is if they set up a privacy policy regarding the use and the data collecting for all the statistics sent. They know best.

This way we can append it to your privacy policies and be safe.
uid: 70003 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134537

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hello guys,

Can we just (in case of IOS app) simply put this link to the Coronalabs privacy policy URL box on iTunes and call it a day?
Here the link:

http://www.coronalabs.com/privacy-policy/privacy-policy-for-app-users/

and here some FAQ I found in this web site:

Do you have a Privacy Policy for the data you collect via Corona Analytics?Yes - our Privacy Policy for App Users explains the data we collect via Corona Analytics. If you are a Corona developer, you can link to this privacy policy from your website.

It looks like a pretty current PP (June 7,2012)

What do you think? It does not address the device side...

Mo
uid: 100814 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134538

cspence

cspence
  • Contributor

• 338 posts
  • Enterprise

Being sued maybe, but not necessarily means they will lose. It is a touchy area right now, and it's just going to get worse as politicians look to make their name by putting something new on the books. This is low hanging fruit for them, nothing more. No one gives a damn as no one really reads them anyway. It's just a mark on their belt, that's all.

As far as I have seen, having it in app and on the website, there hasn't been any documentation it has to be in app. Ideally it is in app, but maybe putting it in the app store listing would be a good solution.

I'm sure there are lawsuits, and there will be more. But it really is up in the air right now.

uid: 160288 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134542

Anderoth

Anderoth
  • Contributor

• 278 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agreed. When/if they go after Zynga or Popcap, then I think the rest of us can get truely worried. Delta is dealing with identity information (name, address, maybe even credit card info) and most any entertainment app is not going to go into that territory.
uid: 56820 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134544

Pixin

Pixin
  • Contributor

• 269 posts
  • Corona SDK

+16T Jay and kRona
uid: 40033 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134601

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hey Everyone,

Just an update on this. As mentioned above, if you have (or write up) a simple privacy policy, you can point within it to:

This is the privacy policy we put in place regarding the data we may collect from end users' devices. I say "may" because it is up to you (the developers of the apps) if you turn it off or not.

I am now working with our attorneys around potentially making available a template for Corona developers to use. I'm hoping it won't be an issue, but lawyers are always very sensitive and the issue is that this may be able to be interpreted as us giving some sort of legal advice (which obviously we can't do). I'm pushing to do this and will hopefully have another update soon.

Thanks,

David
uid: 10668 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134641

SegaBoy

SegaBoy
  • Contributor

• 635 posts
  • Corona SDK

Can we make sure it's as plain English as possible and cut the legalese down to a minimum - that way we can easily adapt it to any other services we have/offer?

Also does this rumoured legislation affect developers outside of the USA - I can't see how America continues to try to enforce internet laws on the entire world.
uid: 33275 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134648

LairdGames

LairdGames
  • Contributor

• 969 posts
  • Corona SDK

@DavidRangel

Thanks a lot! Would it be enough (like I asked earlier) to simply put that Coronalabs PP link into the iTunes privacy policy box URL? (which seems to be optional) Do we need a notification in the app itself? Also, is using Flurry covered by the link you shared or do we need to make a separate privacy policy for them as well (or at the minimum show somewhere the link to their policy)?

This is very unfortunate. We have a many stuff to worry about when developing an app and this issue just add to pile!

Thanks again for keeping us inform.

Mo
uid: 100814 topic_id: 33722 reply_id: 134706

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

Its been a while since the last round of discussions on this topic but I bet the next 'storm' is just around the corner. I'm wondering whether the idea of a Corona Labs supplied privacy policy template reached maturity? Thanks for all your help on this front.

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hi ksan,

Unfortunately our attorneys were a little unenthusiastic about having us put a privacy policy template out there. I will see if we can somehow get around this. But in the meantime, I would recommend using something like this:

http://www.truste.com/free-mobile-privacy-policy/

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we do provide a policy for app users on what Corona collects. You can see that here:

You should link to this policy from your own policy.

David

ksan

ksan
  • Corona Geek

• 2,795 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi David,

Thanks much for your quick follow-up. I can understand the reluctance on the part of your legal counsel. I will do as you suggest.

Regards,

Kerem

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

[/topic_controls]