[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

How to speed up graphics
Started by mmb Jan 15 2010 01:59 PM

- - - - -
1 reply to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

mmb

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
mmb
  • Observer

• 25 posts
  • Guests

I am off and on porting a Palm Pilot program I wrote a number (a large number :) of years ago. The program has a bunch of planets revolving around a central star with a random field of stars in the background. There are 5-6 planets that I animate using the enterFrame event.

The stars are a bunch of small rectangles that I generate at random and even though they don't move, they slow the animation down significantly (on the device---in the simulator, everything zips along). On the Palm Pilot I used double buffering with an extra buffer where I drew the random background once. Nice and fast.

Any approach I can take with Corona to speed things up?

Thanks,

Matt
uid: 78 topic_id: 395 reply_id: 300395

[TOPIC: post.html]

carlos m. icaza

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

i would to port directly to see the peformance on the device if any. The stars i would make them bitmaps of different sizes and just duplicated them randomnly on the screen rather than rectangles. ( our image loader is smart enough *not* to load the entire image when using the same image over and over)

Have you seen/download Core Damage? it is graphic intensive and uses accelerometer support as well and the grahpics run full speed. Core Damage may give you and idea of our rendering performance.

We talk to the open gl buffer directly so thigns zip along pretty good. We get upwards of 30 FPS.

Carlos

uid: 24 topic_id: 395 reply_id: 717

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]