[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

New to Corona - Does it support barcode scanner and/or mapping
Started by Greg Squire Nov 11 2010 01:50 PM

3 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Greg Squire

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Greg Squire
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Guests

I could find an answer to this after looking at the FAQ and a bunch of other pages. Does Corona support any integration with the barcode scanner? (Android phones ship with one pre-installed and I think there is something similar on iPhone). In other words is it possible to create an app similar to the Calorie Counter app (on Android), where you can scan a UPC barcode and then look up info on that from the web (maybe your own site) and then place that data into a local DB on the phone. In this case it uses the barcode to look up calorie and nutrition info, that then goes in your local calorie tracker DB. Is something like this doable with Corona? (or soon to be supported?)

Also is it possible to create application that integrates with the maps (mapkit I think it's called), where you can show the map and then show points of interest (POIs) on it? Would it be possible to create something like a restaurant finder or the like?
uid: 11021 topic_id: 3587 reply_id: 303587

jason.clark

jason.clark
  • Observer

• 6 posts
  • Guests

BUMP! - I too would like to know if barcode or QR scanning is possible with corona?

J
uid: 10893 topic_id: 3587 reply_id: 11338

jmp909

jmp909
  • Corona Geek

• 1,328 posts
  • Corona SDK

you might be able to encode the image taken from the camera and send it over an http socket to whatever webservice you have to process this data

http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/smtp.html

but being as you can't resize the image yet (i think later corona release has some manipulation features) then it could be a very slow process.

uid: 6645 topic_id: 3587 reply_id: 11384

Greg Squire

Greg Squire
  • Observer

• 28 posts
  • Guests

The barcode scanner is an external app (at least on Android), meaning external to your program. If there's a way to launch that app and then get something back from it (the UPC number or error code) then it may be possible to do this with Corona. Can anyone answer that?
uid: 11021 topic_id: 3587 reply_id: 11450

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]